teensy expandability?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• teensy expandability?

Hi, I just ordered a euroshield and will receive it soon, i was wondering, after reading the documentation and the pinouts, seems like most analog inputs are left unconnected. are the pins accessible on the teensy somewhere on the board to be able to add more knobs by a custom expansion module?

also I'm not very familiar with DACs but im starting to learn, and i'm wondering, the euroshield has 2 CV/audio inputs and 2 outputs... meaning 4 mono channels. is this the theoretical limit of a teensy board? or is it possible to add more inputs outputs? im asking this for future projects if i were to make my own module (much further in the future but im curious to know if this is maxing out what a teensy in/out can handle or not)

thanks and i'm looking forward to playing around with the euroshield!

It's hard to answer your question with many specifics. First, the Teensy comes in several flavors. We support version 3.1-3.6. On the higher version, the board overhangs the shield and leaves lots of unused pins.

Second, there are a number of ways to connect to the Teensy. The easiest is just to use the analog pins directly.This will require some additional circuitry to map the world of CV, which can range from -10V to +10V, to the Teensy range of 0-3.3V. After that, you can connect with other chips, like a DAC, with more complex interfaces. I believe you can put a second DAC/ADC on the Teensy and double the inputs and outputs. However, this is an advanced topic.

In summary, there is room to add more stuff--the approach is up to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
      It's hard to answer your question with many specifics. First, the Teensy comes in several flavors. We support version 3.1-3.6. On the higher version, the board overhangs the shield and leaves lots of unused pins.

Second, there are a number of ways to connect to the Teensy. The easiest is just to use the analog pins directly.This will require some additional circuitry to map the world of CV, which can range from -10V to +10V, to the Teensy range of 0-3.3V. After that, you can connect with other chips, like a DAC, with more complex interfaces. I believe you can put a second DAC/ADC on the Teensy and double the inputs and outputs. However, this is an advanced topic.

In summary, there is room to add more stuff--the approach is up to you.
      Thanks for the response... good to know that theoretically there's a way to expand a teensy to more ins and outs, but for now i'll start with the shield... honestly one of the biggest reasons why i got it was to 1. dont have to bother interfacing with euro and mapping 0/3.3v to -10/10v and 2. to potentially understand how that interfacing was done... but alas there's no schematics (which i completely understand, this is a commercial product) I'm sure i can find other resources elsewhere.

my question about the analog inputs was more for pots for added control, since all the analog pins are inserted into the socket but most aren't used i w as wondering if there as aa breakout header or something that gives access to these pins without going the ghetto way but i'm guessing there isn't... maybe i could create a middle board that adds that header out to the unused pins between the shield and the teensy... anyways... looking forward to receiving it!

Comment

Working...
      X