Output 1 super noisy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Output 1 super noisy

I've just got a ground loop isolator and tried various positions in the chain and it's made no difference. The Bluebox on output 1 is ridiculously noisy

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm using the power supply and cable it came with. Blackbox and a couple of other items in the same powerstrip

Thanks

Jason

Which isolator did you use? I used this one and it worked like a charm. I connected it to the source of the ground loop and it removed the noise.

https://www.amazon.com/AUKEY-Ground-...4364583&sr=8-2

Comment

I bought this one. Can't say it's made much difference

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B076J3GD...p_mob_ap_share

However, things have slightly improved by using just one power strip (I had several chained before)

Comment

I also tried a different one prior to the one I linked to and it didn’t work. I hope you find a way to quiet the signal. It might be up to trial and error. There are expensive options out there. I hope you’re able to settle it in an affordable way.

Comment

Try turning off the make up gain on the compressor. and to test also the compressor. that "for now" as a fix for me. Turning it Off killed the noise.

Comment

Check that the gain and volume are turned all the way down on unused inputs/tracks, even when nothing's plugged in.
            That may help.

Comment

Update. I bought a different powerbank with a longer cable, and I'm now not daisy chaining power strips. It has helped but it still seems fairly noisy. I've got the noise isolator on the Roland SH-01a output as that seemed really noisy.

I actually think the noise isolator just flips the noise, still the same output noise, but the frequencies are flipped!

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                best to isolate the bluebox from sharing an outlet with too many devices - or other noisy gear. Also, you mentioned using a "longer cable." Be careful not to use USB extensions or USB cables that are not rated to carry at 2A @ 5V or you will have all sorts of problems.

Thanks Steve. By longer cable I mean the power bank has a longer cable so it can reach to the wall port, rather than me daisy chaining multiple power banks

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                All good. We have performed some basic testing that confirms that the power cable is maybe the most important detail. Just want to be safe!

In my experience the (audio) ground loop isolators do not work well with the BB, but this depends on the specific setup of instruments and what not. I've had some weird noise issues that went away when I powered every device from it's own psu, Instead of some Anker multi-power usb psu. The original BB psu gave me issues as well but I replaced it with an Apple iPad psu, which is rated for 2A at least. I've also replaced the cable with a shorter one, which was more convenient for me. This is a good cable with a ferrite core on one end. It's all in the details and most of the time the issues with ground loops can be found and dealt with.

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Very true. Ground loops, hum, and buzz can be maddening for users who don't fully grasp the "figure it out" approach. A ground loop is a ground loop. But the cause (and fix) can vary widely from one studio to the next.

Make sure anything usb powered that you're plugging into your mixer has a separate supply. This will isolate the grounds. Don't use multi power banks or hubs. This is doubly important when using unbalanced audio, since the signal is referenced directly to ground.

Comment

I thought the advice was to power from same power bank
                ​​​​​?

Comment

• RC Prime
                  RC Prime commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you have 2 devices plugged into your bluebox (or any mixer with unbalanced inputs) sharing a common USB supply, you create a ground loop, assuming that all the USB devices in question have a direct connection between common and USB ground, which is typically the case.
                  device1 common
                  -> cable1 ground
                  -> mixer common
                  -> cable2 ground
                  -> device2 common
                  -> usb cable2 ground
                  -> usb supply common
                  -> usb cable1 ground
                  -> device1 common

Which will give a nice big loop capable of picking up all kinds of noise. Multiply by several devices sharing the same supply, and you have quite a big noise problem. Using individual supplies breaks the loop at the supply common.

Ah OK. When I say power bank I mean an electrical power strip/gang whatever you want to call it. Not a USB power bank

Comment

Ground loop issues never have a single fix. Every device is different. First big tip, One wall outlet so the ground you do supply is common. After that it is instrument by instrument. My Typhon, which is USB powered is super noisy if it gets power from a hub with other things on it. It needs to be plugged into a separate USB power port which is plugged into the same power strip as everything else or a USB battery Pack which is super annoying because it means usb midi is useless. On the other hand, my microfreak is super noisy if I use the power adapter, and quiets down if I give it power from the same hub I use for USB midi signals, which is super weird, but convenient.

Start with nothing plugged in, check for noise, If none, setup your first instrument. Check for noise again and if there is some, it's a trial and error process to eliminate.

The cheap ground noise eliminators have only been effective for me in one application, and that's when I have an audio source like My computer on the other side of the room, that I can't plug into the same outlet. They haven't worked well for me when it comes to USB power issues.

It gets complicated, but it just takes patience, experimentation, and decent USB Hubs and power. Try to use the manufacturer's cables and power if you can. Spare iphone warts work well for low power items. I like Anker powerport 2 elite supplies as well.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by peanutbuttersolution; 04-02-2021, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Steve Can you recommend a sturdy aftermarket USB power cable available in multiple lengths based on your tests?

Comment

Originally posted by peanutbuttersolution View Post
                      Steve Can you recommend a sturdy aftermarket USB power cable available in multiple lengths based on your tests?
                      That is an excellent question. I JUST ordered a cable that should be easy to source and inexpensive but I have not received it yet. I should know if it is worthy by Monday.

Comment

Working...
                      X