Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the Bluebox handle DI guitars with a Preamp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the Bluebox handle DI guitars with a Preamp?

Hi all, while I primarily got the bluebox to use with synths, I normally am a guitarist and recently got one of those JHS Colour Box V2 preamp pedals. Basically emulates the sound of going straight into a console and they recommend using it without an amp. Wondering if I will run into any issues tracking guitars over stuff on the bluebox?

Guess ill try it this weekend, just worried about breaking it lol

Comment

I don't see this as being an issue as long as the preamp pedal outputs a line level signal. If it does not re-amp the signal, then you will need to convert the instrument level to line level with a box like this:
      https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-amping-device

You can also use a mixer channel to re-amp or some DIs have that capability. Bluebox is line level only, so instrument level signals need that additional re-amping stage. The Colour Box might do this, but I am unfamiliar with it.

Comment

Originally posted by sydilaxe View Post
        I don't see this as being an issue as long as the preamp pedal outputs a line level signal. If it does not re-amp the signal, then you will need to convert the instrument level to line level with a box like this:
        https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-amping-device

You can also use a mixer channel to re-amp or some DIs have that capability. Bluebox is line level only, so instrument level signals need that additional re-amping stage. The Colour Box might do this, but I am unfamiliar with it.
        Says this in the colour box manual, guessing I could use it with the XLR output? would need to just get an xlr to 3.5

INSTRUMENT INPUT MODE - When plugging in a 1/4” instrument cable, you can use the Colour Box like an effect pedal or as an always on DI for bass, acoustic, or any other instrument that requires a DI. When using the Colour Box as an effect pedal, use the 1/4” output and turn the pedal on and off with the foot switch just as you would normally use an effect pedal. You can also run both 1/4” and XLR outputs in parallel when using it as an effect pedal, though the XLR output will be disengaged when the pedal is off. This is useful especially in recording situations where you want to send your signal to an amplifi er and direct-in to a console or preamp. When using the Colour Box as a DI, you can use the XLR output to plug straight into an audio mixer or recording interface and there is no need to use a separate direct-box. In an always-on circumstance, the 1/4" output will also pass effected signal to whatever it is plugged into as long as the pedal is ON, this allows you to split your signal to two separate sources at the same time. The XLR output will only pass signal when the Colour box is turned on. XLR INPUT MODE - In this mode, the pedal accepts XLR microphone cables and passes a clean bypass signal through the XLR output when switched off. The 1/4” output also passes signal in this mode so you can pass a microphone through the Colour Box into an amp or line level input. The 20dB pad is available in this mode only and works when the pedal is on and off. The Colour Box V2 now allows phantom power to pass through the pedal when using microphones that require phantom power.

Comment

You should be ok. The bluebox accepts line-level and +5v eurorack. You should have an output control on the color box - and Gain + Vol on the buebox.

Comment

Working...
          X