Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the biggest SD card that Bluebox supports?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the biggest SD card that Bluebox supports?

I looked and was not able to find an answer. I am still using the 16 GB it shipped with, and have had to archive the card three different times. If it supports a card bigger than a 32 GB, I would get one in a heartbeat, but not sure and do not want to buy one that I will not be able to use.

Corollary question if anyone knows so I do not need to post in two spots...does anyone know the biggest card supported by the Bitbox MK1? Using two 32 GB cards now, but I have a massive amount of .wav files on my laptop I would like to be able to use, but I hate having to switch cards all the time. Any help on either/both of these is appreciated.

Generally, there is no limit to card size. I have used a 1TB card with no hassle aside from the long wait times for backing up, etc. Search the forum for "MicroSD Card Comparison" and you will find my post from a year ago. The info in this post is still accurate though I would add that 'A2' cards have provided the best overall performance - for me. In the bluebox, it seems better to use cards 128GB and larger as they allow for larger write chunks and this was useful during the initial testing.

SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB. U1. V30. A2 is my favorite card.

Comment

Heh. Just bought that same card you mentioned a few minutes ago from Amazon. Unless they updated the firmware, I am under the impression that I need to format anything larger than a 32 GB as FAT32 in order for Bluebox/Bitbox to recognize them, and Windows cannot do this natively...I guess I need a third party program to do so. If I format to FAT32, do I lose any of the available space on the larger cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Peng33 View Post
        Heh. Just bought that same card you mentioned a few minutes ago from Amazon. Unless they updated the firmware, I am under the impression that I need to format anything larger than a 32 GB as FAT32 in order for Bluebox/Bitbox to recognize them, and Windows cannot do this natively...I guess I need a third party program to do so. If I format to FAT32, do I lose any of the available space on the larger cards?
        This is recommended for formatting https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

Comment

The limit I believe is the SDXC specification : 2TB, though I don't think 2TB cards exist yet.

I am suing a SanDisk Extreme Pro 1TB on my Blackbox and it works very fine.

Comment

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
            I am suing a SanDisk Extreme Pro 1TB on my Blackbox and it works very fine.
            Did you have to get a lawyer, or are you representing yourself?

Comment

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              Going to get a lawyer against Appleā€™s autocorrect for sure

I tried that sd card formatter on my macbook to prep some 32GB cards & it failed repeatedly. so I booted the macbook into w7 & did them that way, & all was fine.
            it'd be nice if the BB could format cards itself though.

Comment

So far I have been using a 1TB sandisk pro extreme with the Blackbox and my guess is the Bluebox has the same specs. I have only used with a 128GB card though.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the max SD Card size for the bluebox is the same as the blackbox. However, the quality of the card for the bluebox is more important because of the demands placed on it for streaming up to 13 files to the card at once. We recommend name brand cards with the A1 or A2 rating or better. For example, SanDisk A1 cards work very well. The card provided with the bluebox has an A1 rating.

Comment

Working...
                X