Racking Bluebox?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racking Bluebox?

I searched but couldn't find anything. Has anyone racked Bluebox (or Blackbox for that matter) into a Eurorack case?

And by rack I mean by using adapters so that it fits as per the 'caddy' that is available for Korg Volcas so that they can sit in a rack

Thanks
    Last edited by RollrightKnights; 10-30-2022, 06:26 AM.

An interesting question, which I asked myself lately as well, while I haven't got a solution yet. The bluebox' height is 128.5 mm, which is the weell-known height of an Eurorack module. Some rack caddy or, in this case, just rack ears are something you can dremel yourself easily or let 3d print. So far, so good.

The real deal is to how to handle all the stuff sitting on the back & front panels. If you leave all these things where they are, they will become unaccessible as long as the bluebox is built into your Eurorack. They all have to be
    a) re-located to somewhere else, and
    b) make accessible for the rest of the word.

From this point, the result depends on your DIY skills.

While b) can be, at least for the in/out cables, easily done using a mixer module, a simple front female- back female matrix module (not sure if there is such a thing on the market, so DIY again) or even Q&D by leaving a 1 TE empty slot beside the bluebox & pulling out the in/out cables from behind –

– I am not experienced enough to tell if, let alone how, to get a) done. I didn't ever dare to open my unit yet, because every time I do such things there are some small parts lying around afterwards, which I have no idea of where they belonged before. :-)

Note we haven't even touched the power supply question yet.

You will also have to live with the memory card built-in into your rack forever. :-)

While I can imagine some engineering solutions for all this, I cannot get any of them done. I hope someone else can.

Comment

Hmmm. This is an interesting idea.

Comment

It is, isn't it? I've been toying with the idea of restructuring my gear setup to be 100% eurorack recently and adding the Bluebox into that system would be amazing. However, due to its dimensions, I reckon the input/output ports would have to be reoriented before being broken out and the same goes for the card reader.
        I imagine the best way of then making the ports/reader accessible would be via a breakout module that sits next to the box itself. Power supply should be doable via 5v rail? Then again, the Bluebox seems to be picky about power supply so that could easily be very hit&miss...
        Anyways, in case someone with more time on their hands ventures into this, I'd be more than interested to tag along for the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by jnnnik View Post
          It is, isn't it? I've been toying with the idea of restructuring my gear setup to be 100% eurorack recently and adding the Bluebox into that system would be amazing. However, due to its dimensions, I reckon the input/output ports would have to be reoriented before being broken out and the same goes for the card reader.
          I imagine the best way of then making the ports/reader accessible would be via a breakout module that sits next to the box itself. Power supply should be doable via 5v rail? Then again, the Bluebox seems to be picky about power supply so that could easily be very hit&miss...
          Anyways, in case someone with more time on their hands ventures into this, I'd be more than interested to tag along for the ride.
          I think powering is going to be a challenge as it needs quite a decent and stable 5V with more mA than most Euro supplies deliver. Aaron could speak to the minimum requirements, but it also seems that things like the device port can also affect the current draw. I like mine stand alone, but if I were using the Bluebox exclusively with Eurorack, this would be a desireable option.

Comment

Working...
          X