A bit concerned about buying any more 1010 products

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit concerned about buying any more 1010 products

To be fair Aaron and Christine have keep their promises so i don't think there should be any concerned , this post was posted in the heat of the moment and has now be rectified
    Last edited by Filterfreak; 12-21-2020, 01:55 PM.

I've voiced these same concerns here and on Muffwiggler, but since I never previously pulled the trigger on a 1010 product, I was happy to get the bitbox mk2 and I have already done some really fun things with it. I still don't get releasing a mk2 before the development runway of the mk1 is done.

What surprised me (but also sorta didn't based on the fanbase for bitbox/blackbox) is how bone-dead easy it is to use. There are a lot of obvious "why can't it do this simple thing" moments, but everything it does do, it does intuitively, quickly, and easily. There has never been a moment where I wasn't able to find something. As opposed to the Maschine Mk2 that I have had for eight years and I still have a shit workflow with it.

Aaron has said the processor in the mk2 is slightly better than blackbox. My fantasy is that some of the best things from blackbox and toolbox are integrated into the mk2 bitbox.

But I received some flames for saying a module is some kind of "investment". It's an instrument, right? I never want to buy a module where I'm thinking about its resale potential. I want to keep rocking with it until I croak.

Comment

Edited , no longer a problem . Thanks Aaron and Christine
      Last edited by Filterfreak; 12-21-2020, 01:56 PM.

Comment

"Aaron has already said there are no more plans to develop the Micro firmware any further"

That can't be true... you must be misreading something he wrote. I think the micro is/will be hugely successful. It's way more powerful than the popular Erica Sample Drum at nearly the same price.

edit: Aaron wrote that he didn't think anyone was using CV panning, so it got taken out of the mk2 firmware. Me and another user said heck no, we want that put back in, and he probably will.

Comment

I stand corrected , Aaron did mean there was no future plans to evolve the Micro with Fx and synth box firmware's .
          I

Comment

Filterfreak,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. And, thank you for your purchases. Would it make you feel better if we call toolbox 2.0 finished and no longer in beta? I'm half serious here. We have a bad habit of leaving stuff with the beta label even after the release has been through serious testing and no longer deserves that label.

I get that buying hardware shortly before it is superseded by upgrade is a drag. Let me remind you that a few weeks ago we provided MK1 users with a major upgrade in the form of version 3.0. It included most of the new functionality in the MK2 model, like granular synthesis. So while the MK1 may not be the latest hardware, it is unfair to call it obsolete.

Let me encourage you and anyone shopping for gear to buy based on what the unit will do now--not what it might do in the future. This will help manage expectations. It will also help counteract the feeling that if the unit isn't getting a steady stream of new upgrades that it is somehow "dead" or "abandoned." You wouldn't use either of those terms with a piece of analog gear.

I hope this helps. Thanks for reading.

Comment

But... at the same time, y'all have set a really high standard with the bitbox and I'm hoping bitbox mk2 get four years of love and mindblowing updates.

Comment

Aaron
                Thanks for the reply , i was more venting than anything , im more peed with myself for not checking properly whether the functions were there or not . I do love the bitbox's and just for extra processing power and Fx's it's not worth me selling these two to upgrade all thou if i had known they were coming to the end of their life span for support then i would of bought one and waited .

Toolbox , If that's how you handle your firmware's then that's fair enough , i knew about the Beta firmware before purchasing but i didn't realise the input midi handling is so basic . No selective channels for each of the Cv 's , but more to the point if your using any midi device for the master clock you have to make sure that that device can only send clock , start,stop and reset like mentioned in the toolbox thread and syncing via Cv with no start ,stop (or the on screen start and stop ) is nearly impossible as it takes a certain amount of steps to gain synchronisation so really what i'm trying to say is "No" few others and myself would not be happy that your "Beta" software gets marked as final but as i said above , if that's the way you handle your firmwares then that's up to you .

Unless you know of any other way that Toolbox can be used with an external device as slave without having to turn off all midi channel to send the clock via midi for the start and stop please enlighten us .
                Midi filters are possible , Daw sync is possible but not possible with a device that not possible to turn off "all " midi channels .

Most Old Analogue gear doesn't have firmware's
                Last edited by Filterfreak; 07-10-2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Again , this issue was dealt with and im more than satisfied , thanks
                  Last edited by Filterfreak; 12-21-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Filterfreak,

Let me try and address your concern by offering the best possible way to influence our future development.
                    1. Please start a new thread focused specifically on the a single concern you want addressed. Be clear in your title. For example: "Input filtering on incoming MIDI" in the toolbox wishlist forum
                    2. Explain the scenarios where this is important. What gear are you using? What alternatives are possible? etc.
                    3. Try to consider the minimum acceptable feature set that gets the job done. The easier it is, the more likely it will happen
                    4. See how the discussion unfolds and how many people participate
                    When it comes time to do an update, we do scan the forums carefully. Requests in separate topics is easier to find. Requests that have lots of discussion and +1s get more attention. On the other hand, stuff buried in a long thread with other topics will likely be missed. Requests that only one or two people care about will get less attention.

I hope this helps. We do strive to make you happy and have an impossibly long request list to work toward.

Comment

I don't get why a faster cpu wasn't used in the first place. *shrug

Anyway not to be a jerk, but be aware these moves have affected 1010's user base negatively, future proofing
                      is an important issue for many...
                      Last edited by pekbro; 07-19-2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                        Filterfreak,

Thanks for sharing your concerns. And, thank you for your purchases. Would it make you feel better if we call toolbox 2.0 finished and no longer in beta? I'm half serious here. We have a bad habit of leaving stuff with the beta label even after the release has been through serious testing and no longer deserves that label.

I get that buying hardware shortly before it is superseded by upgrade is a drag. Let me remind you that a few weeks ago we provided MK1 users with a major mediabox upgrade in the form of version 3.0. It included most of the new functionality in the MK2 model, like granular synthesis. So while the MK1 may not be the latest hardware, it is unfair to call it obsolete.

Let me encourage you and anyone shopping for gear to buy based on what the unit will do now--not what it might do in the future. This will help manage expectations. It will also help counteract the feeling that if the unit isn't getting a steady stream of new upgrades that it is somehow "dead" or "abandoned." You wouldn't use either of those terms with a piece of analog gear.

I hope this helps. Thanks for reading.
                        Thanks for your post,

mediabox

Comment

Again , im editing my OTT rant . Situation sorted
                          Last edited by Filterfreak; 12-21-2020, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                            Filterfreak,

Let me try and address your concern by offering the best possible way to influence our future development.
                            1. Please start a new thread focused specifically on the a single concern you want addressed. Be clear in your title. For example: "Input filtering on incoming MIDI" in the toolbox wishlist forum
                            2. Explain the scenarios where this is important. What gear are you using? What alternatives are possible? etc.
                            3. Try to consider the minimum acceptable feature set that gets the job done. The easier it is, the more likely it will happen
                            4. See how the discussion unfolds and how many people participate
                            When it comes time to do an update, we do scan the forums carefully. Requests in separate topics is easier to find. Requests that have lots of discussion and +1s get tutuapp more attention. On the other hand, stuff buried in a long thread with other topics will likely be missed. Requests that only one or two people care about will get less attention.

I hope this helps. We do strive to make you happy and have an impossibly long request list to work toward.
                            I did those steps and waiting better results.
                            tutuapp | tutuapp apk

Comment

Again , edited and the problem was resolved in the most professional of ways .

Thanks
                              Last edited by Filterfreak; 12-21-2020, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X