Will anyone listen to me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will anyone listen to me?

Weird title, but just trying to capture your attention. I'm a relative beginner to music production, and wanted to know if there was a particular forum or somewhere online where people will listen to my music, so I can share a track for feedback.

Someone recommended the Facebook group Dawless Jammin, but my stuff isn't music I can live-jam because I don't have the talent. It's recorded pieces (sometimes with a vocal), that I've built on the Blackbox.

It's less about finding out if it's a 'good track', but more about whether the production needs work. For example, I'm really just a beginner, but can tell that my kicks don't punch through, perhaps it's badly EQ'd, or stuff like that.

I've watched a million YouTube tutorials, but what would be a massive help would be for me to be told what and how a single track could be improved. Appreciate people might not feel like doing that, seeing as they have their own music to make!

Maybe link to some work in progress temporarily? I’m sure people will chime in.

Comment

Michal Ho Thanks, so here's a track I made on the Blackbox, and like I say, just interested to hear in general terms what I could do to improve the production. I'm happy with all the individual parts, but it feels like it could sound a lot better if I knew even the basics of how to mix and whatever. This is the first track I've ever made in this genre, so all advice welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/fade-again/21.../s-XBSXolmiSVM

Comment

Sounds alright to me.
        You might try lowering the levels of your bass instruments just a little and control the dynamics in the mid range more (esp. in the voice), as the high mids and treble range seems a bit overwhelmed by what's going on below 1kHz. But don't overdo it, you'll lose the coziness.

Comment

Originally posted by Michal Ho View Post
          Sounds alright to me.
          You might try lowering the levels of your bass instruments just a little and control the dynamics in the mid range more (esp. in the voice), as the high mids and treble range seems a bit overwhelmed by what's going on below 1kHz. But don't overdo it, you'll lose the coziness.
          Thanks, that's EXACTLY the kind of advice I was looking for! I don't yet fully understand about dynamics, but at the basic level, do you mean using an EQ and increasing the high mids and treble? I agree it currently feels a bit muddy, but are you saying if I over-do it, it will feel too stark and bright?

Comment

If you have the stems of that i hear, i can se if i can rebalance it and fix the dynamic. If you want? I realy like the tune.
            I think michal Ho have a realy good ears or monitors.
            dynamic is all about volume, and how good your skills are to tame this so you get a stable rms and nice peaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMm27PG4Fw Here is a good video about dynamics. And to make is sound good on soundcloud you need to follow the lufs rule on that streming site.

Comment

Originally posted by Dongel View Post
              If you have the stems of that i hear, i can se if i can rebalance it and fix the dynamic. If you want? I realy like the tune.
              I think michal Ho have a realy good ears or monitors.
              dynamic is all about volume, and how good your skills are to tame this so you get a stable rms and nice peaks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgMm27PG4Fw Here is a good video about dynamics. And to make is sound good on soundcloud you need to follow the lufs rule on that streming site.
              If you are happy to take a look, that would be fantastic! PM me your email and I'll wetransfer the files. Really appreciate it.

Comment

Send me a link. I worked at KROQ for 37 years. The bad news is you must decide what your goal is. Aside from publishing and massive tours, there is no way to make money in the music ‘business.’ Sad truth. I’m learning how to write songs myself — a much different skill than picking music to play on the radio — but I know what a hit sounds like. PS I never would have bet on Billie Eilish (which tells you something). I also passed on System of a Down in the demo stages. But many I got right.

Comment

I’m surprised there’s no “pay x dollars, get feedback from a producing/mixing professional” service.

I can see a niche market for creatives who want external feedback in their development without badgering their friends to listen to tracks in a glutted attention economy.

Comment

WOow interesting, Which one is the best part of lyric

Comment

Yes, I am all ears.

Comment

Cheers joshfreeman , the soundcloud link is up above

Comment

Working...
                        X