Preset change via MIDI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preset change via MIDI?

Hey! I'm considering buying the bitbox now - curious is there a way to change the presets via midi message (program change?)
    And how long does it takes for a preset to load?
    Is there a difference between memory/disk streaming and if so - whats the limitations?
    Thanks!

Ilya

Welcome to the forum, aliendelon.

As of 2.0, there is no way to change the presets externally. However, this is a popular request and is on our wish list.

Preset loading takes about 2-3 seconds.

Bitbox can only reliably play 4 streaming samples at a time. It handles the streaming in the background so you don't need to worry about it. In general, streaming samples are ones that don't all fit into the onboard 64MB memory at once. In practice this means that you have multiple samples over 30 seconds in length.

Let us know if this does not help.

Comment

External Preset change is actually the only feature I really need in my workflow. As to how fast it loads, I would say 2-3 seconds is the absolute longest. I have presets with a mix of files ranging from kilobytes to gigabytes *at the most* takes 2 seconds.

Scott

Comment

For the most recent update, we seriously looked at the feature of using program changes to load preset. We really struggled with the workflow and would appreciate your input.

The simplest solution is to accept incoming program change messages and map them to the preset list in alphabetical order. So, Program Change 0 loads the first preset, PC1 the second preset, etc.

Is this what you had in mind? This type of thing gets even more complicated with CV when there is no clear mapping and no well defined time to act. Thanks for your input.

Comment

For me, just changing the sample of a cell would already be great. I guess, workflow-wise, this could be done for cells that have their own midi channel and the ‘program’ could be using a naming convention for samples?

Another idea that has been playing in my head that could help here is what the Elektron Octatrack calls the sample slot list (if I remember correctly). There are 128 places for samples and their start/stop/loop/splice points and volume and co. These could be used as program change targets and would also solve the other feature request to edit samples: it would even be a non-destructive edit like this.

Anyway, I hope more updates will be coming with interesting new features for a long time. The last bitbox update is in any case very nice!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            For the most recent update, we seriously looked at the feature of using program changes to load preset. We really struggled with the workflow and would appreciate your input.

The simplest solution is to accept incoming program change messages and map them to the preset list in alphabetical order. So, Program Change 0 loads the first preset, PC1 the second preset, etc.

Is this what you had in mind? This type of thing gets even more complicated with CV when there is no clear mapping and no well defined time to act. Thanks for your input.
            Aaron, correct as far as I am concerned. This is how most of my MIDI synths with presets work. In other words, an index like you mentioned. I believe there is actually some sort of convention in the MIDI spec as it pertains to bank/patch selection via program change (the program change feature itself was designed just for this).

But what you mentioned would work, even if it just cycling through the index sequentially (as opposed to "direct access"). In other words, as a user interface I don't mind having to take it upon myself to get my presets arranged in sequence ahead of time, as long as I could advance to the next preset quickly without having to use the touch screen /exit screens etc.

PS I can't speak to the needs via CV. To me, I am quite fine using MIDI for all purposes and it is this kind of situation that it was exactly designed for. I hear others wanting to get away from MIDI, and maybe that's possible with CV, but I and I believe many others are quite fine with it as a standard (have been for decades).

Thank you!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post

Midi program change just like you write would be incredible! I hope it will be implemented in next update! Would seriously upgrade this instrument for performances!

Comment

Just wanted to give this some more love i know you're working hard and doing your best, but man it would be awesome for better flow between songs when playing out live.!

BTW - this topic is in the wrong sub-forum.

Comment

Working...
                X