convince me to bitbox mk2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convince me to bitbox mk2?

What is the rationale for the upcoming Bitbox micro to have a couple of really useful features that aren't going to exist in the full bitbox mk2? The Midi out and increased number / flexible assignment of outputs are a huge deal to me.

Why handicap the more expensive unit? Even the leloop youtube comparison tips the scales in favor of the micro version.

I posted this on a facebook eurorack and got one reply "The big one looks to have more total inputs and a quicker workflow." yes, and of course the 75% larger touch screen is very nice. But what else is going to distinguish it from the version 1 and the micro bitbox?

I could be wrong about this because I’m new to 1010 modules but from a video I was just watching the larger one can use 3 firmwares while the micro just the bitbox. I don’t know if this has changed since he made the video but that is a deal breaker against the micro for me personally. The extra outs are sweet on the micro though.
    Last edited by Gregorsmith; 05-21-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

The full bitbox 1 can also use all three firmwares. It is weird to me that the "flagship" bitbox 2 should be missing features that the micro has. Unless bitbox mk2 is finally going to be able to hot swap firmware. But that is not a currently existing feature/selling point over the micro or the bitbox 1.

Comment

Thanks for your question. The exact configuration of the hardware is the result of a number of decisions over the past several months. With bitbox MK2, we wanted to build something that was a continuation of the previous line and not lose anything. With the micro, it was the opportunity for a fresh start. It wasn't practical to make the MK2 be a pure superset of the micro in terms of inputs and outputs. Behind the scenes, the IO sections are quite different.

As of version 1.0, the outputs of bitbox micro are fixed: Stereo master out and 6 assignable outputs. This is arguably more outputs than is really necessary. We included so many for future possibilities.

I find that all of the dedicated gate and cv inputs for the flagship MK2 are more convenient. Having to choose the input type on the micro can sometimes lead to confusion and unpredictable results.

We are committed to providing synthbox and fxbox for the bitbox MK2 by summer. We don't have any plans for extra firmware on the micro.

I know this is not the clean justification that you would like. Loopop did a great job in laying out the differences. I hope that it helps.

Comment

Hi Aaron,
          It does help, thank you!

I have been wanting a bitbox since you first released it, but money/space and how to prioritize a sampler in my eurorack rig have always pushed it down the stack. I was about a week from pulling the trigger on an Erica Sample Drum when the mk2 and micro were announced. The feature set of the micro for ~$50 more just blows the Sample Drum away. But now I'm having internal conflict about the pros and cons of the mk2 vs micro and wondering if I should splurge.

>the outputs of bitbox micro are fixed: Stereo master out and 6 assignable outputs. This is arguably more outputs than is really necessary.

The old Akai S3000/S5000/S6000 samplers could have 10-18 outputs. Eight might be too much for some people, but I can envision scenarios where I use more than four. I guess that is spilled milk. Micro has more outs, mk 2 has significantly better input/cv control.

I was initially very bummed that the mk2 did not have midi out, but then came to the (now very obvious) realization that the mk2 could still do multisampling via CV! Y'all probably know that the Disting EX can do multisampling, but I bet this would be a much easier and visually appealing workflow on the bitbox. One thing that would be amazing for the bitbox is if it could do CV multisampling with microtonal scales. A long time ago on this forum, I asked if expanded quantizing functions on the bit/synthbox could be added. Your reply was to try to upsell the euroshield, which was disappointing. I have a disting and an ornament and crime, but I'd love to devote those modules to more exciting features than quantization, assuming that expanded quantization does not require significant new code architecture. Andrew from ES just added microtonal multisampling via scala files even before the disting EX is shipped in the States!

>We are committed to providing synthbox and fxbox for the bitbox MK2 by summer. We don't have any plans for extra firmware on the micro.

I'm totally fine with that. I always planned to buy bitbox for bitbox, with synth/fx box being a cherry on top. We've all been burned a few times buying gear based on future promises (Maschine, Thonk Prok drum modules for example) rather than the current feature set. So I was a little surprised that there isn't more new stuff in the mk2 and a larger divergence from the capabilities of the mk1. But the current feature set of bitbox is unparalleled in eurorack, so I'm not complaining about how you run your company! btw, any chance of making bit/synth/fx hot swap-able in mk2?

Comment

Aaron,
            Cosmetically if the bitbox mk2 is going to be the same as mk1, and the only changes are with the processor and touchscreen quality, can you tease anything in development that mk2 will be able to do that mk1 cannot? Besides addition of delay/reverb on cells, which seems to currently be the only divergence.

Comment

Originally posted by rayultine View Post
              Aaron,
              Cosmetically if the bitbox mk2 is going to be the same as mk1, and the only changes are with the processor and touchscreen quality, can you tease anything in development that mk2 will be able to do that mk1 cannot? Besides addition of delay/reverb on cells, which seems to currently be the only divergence.
              Another big one is the amount of polyphony. The MK2 has at least 50% more voices depending on whether you are also running the effects.

Given that we just did a major release on the modules, there isn't much new to say or even tease. You are up to date.

Thank you for your interest.

Comment

Will the Mk2 even say "mk2" on it?

Comment

Working...
                X