X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitbox 2.1.0 Beta Discussion

The new beta version is available here.

Please comment, rant, and rave about the new version here. Thank you for your support.

HANDS FREE RECORD! I am so rocking this when I get home tonight. Ill report back in tomorrow!

Comment

Excellent additions Aaron, many thanks for such a "responsive to user desires" update!

Comment

This is great news! Thanks Aaron for putting this in the new beta!
        Can't wait to try it out.

Comment

Thanks for the continuous support and development! Just installed 2.1.0 and successfully tried out trigger rec.. So, I can only record into one single cell once, with any rec trigger on any ext input, right? This works, however I would have expected a rather different implementation: How about mapping the ext rec inputs to specific cells like with every other ext mapping? By doing this you would have a multichannel looper, wouldn't that be great? And how about starting a recording in the specific cells every time a mapped input trigger is received, overdubbing the existing recording in that mapped cell? I thought that this is the normal way a looper works, no? Is there any other possibility of overdubbing that I'm overlooking?

I have another question: How exactly does rec and play work? I've found the RecToPlay On/Off option in the settings. But has it already been described anywhere? It doesn't seem to do anything for me. After recording I can't automatically start to play the recording as a loop, not even with a given high gate signal. I haven't tested RecToPlay before, so I cannot say if this is a new bug or not. Maybe I just haven't understood it altogether

Thanks for your engagement!

Cheers,
          Daniel

Comment

Regarding trigger to record, we discussed a number of options. Here were some of the factors involved:
            1) Our recording feature creates a WAV file every time you use it. We didn't want to make it too easy to trigger the recording or it would be a mess. Can you imagine switching presets and seeing a bunch of unintended WAV files stack up on your microSD card based on having a different trigger configuration?
            2) The idea of overlaying is more of a necessity for hardware that can only play one loop at a time. (The overdubbing just merges with the single playback buffer). Given that bitbox can play up to 16 files at once, making a destructive change to an existing item seems like a bad idea and limits your options. Just create a new cell/file and play them both back at the same time. Then, you can mute your additional passes and get back to the original.

With this in mind we ended up with the idea of a single master record trigger that requires you to put a cell in record mode before activating. The number one request was to be able to keep your hands on your instrument while starting and stopping recording. People we talked to didn't seem to mind navigating and arming recording with the touch screen.

RecToPlay should be in the 2.0 manual. The summary is that you need to set a recording length in advance and have RecToPlay on. When this happens, the recording will switch over to playback without an interruption in the sound.

Thanks for the input. I look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the fast and detailed reply!

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
              ...With this in mind we ended up with the idea of a single master record trigger that requires you to put a cell in record mode before activating. The number one request was to be able to keep your hands on your instrument while starting and stopping recording. People we talked to didn't seem to mind navigating and arming recording with the touch screen.
              1) Ok, I understand your rationale behind this now. For me it's just not really an added value then, because if I have to navigate and arm the touch screen anyway I can also start the recording manually from there (in sync, because of quantising).

2) You are totally right about overdubbing. In fact I didn't want to merge anything, I meant overwriting, sorry. But I can see that this is a matter of taste, and logically linked to the first point. Ok for me.

3) RecToPlay: Oh yeah, among all the firmware beta versions I simply overlooked the 2.0 manual update. It's in there. But it's not working here, unfortunately, neither with pressing rec directly or with an ext rec trigger. I have RecToPlay set to ON, start with an empty preset, an empty cell, length like 1-2 bars, quantize 1/4 or so, it records correctly from input 1, but then it stops and never plays automatically. What am I missing here?

Oh, btw: The killer new feature for me in the 2.1.0 is the cv controllable loop start/end, love it, absolutely useful, great!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by dbeats View Post
                For me it's just not really an added value then, because if I have to navigate and arm the touch screen anyway I can also start the recording manually from there (in sync, because of quantising)
                In a live performance scenario, it's not hard to find a good time to touch a cell to arm it beforehand - a breakdown, gap between songs, etc. It's when you are actually performing and have your hands busy that you need a footswitch to start the recording.

It would be good to have a way of navigating the cell selection to arm and record into multiple cells hands free, though. I saw these fantastic "mouse-like" foot controllers at NAMM that would be killer for that kind of thing if the correct MIDI messages were added.

Comment

Originally posted by dbeats View Post
                  3) RecToPlay: Oh yeah, among all the firmware beta versions I simply overlooked the 2.0 manual update. It's in there. But it's not working here, unfortunately, neither with pressing rec directly or with an ext rec trigger. I have RecToPlay set to ON, start with an empty preset, an empty cell, length like 1-2 bars, quantize 1/4 or so, it records correctly from input 1, but then it stops and never plays automatically. What am I missing here?
                  Try record quantize with a value of 1/2 or 1-bar. I seem to recall there is an issue with smaller quantization

Comment

Try record quantize with a value of 1/2 or 1-bar. I seem to recall there is an issue with smaller quantization
                    That's it, thanks a lot!

Comment

Is there any documentation on the new features? How can we modify loop start and end times?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by monix View Post
                        Is there any documentation on the new features? How can we modify loop start and end times?
                        I'm sorry to say there is no new documentation. The loop start and end times can be modulated the same way as other parameters: Press info until you reach the last page and then touch the black squares under the loop start and end to specify modulators.

Comment

Maybe I'm confused. I don't have page like that which comes up...

Comment

I'm sorry to say there is no new documentation. The loop start and end times can be modulated the same way as other parameters: Press info until you reach the last page and then touch the black squares under the loop start and end to specify modulators.
                            I just did a little messing around. This feature isn't for clip mode where you can play synced loops, its just for the sampler which is not quantized or synced... Disappointing, I was hoping this was going to be addressed this time around. I am waiting for a feature to be able to adjust the actual loops that I can play, will this ever be something you build into the firmware? I just want to know if I should be looking for a different solution to the bitbox. I don't want to wait for something that is never coming. I would much rather go out and find something now rather than wait if this isn't a planned feature. The looping is extremely limited, and I want to find a solution that allows for true looping capabilities. I know you work very hard on the updates, so I would prefer not to waste my breath or seem unappreciative if I should really be looking at other options instread of the bitbox. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by monix View Post
                              I just did a little messing around. This feature isn't for clip mode where you can play synced loops, its just for the sampler which is not quantized or synced...
                              Sorry for the oversight. Yes, you are right that the loop point control and modulation is only for sample mode and not clip mode. In talking with customers, it sounded like this approached addressed most of their needs. Of course there is always room for improvement. Thanks for helping us see that.

Regarding what you should do next, it is hard to say. If you take a quick look around the forum you will see there are thousands of feature requests. We are constantly evaluating what to do next and I expect we will never run out of possible directions.

Thanks for your support.

Comment

Working...
                              X