Internal RAM size (Not SD Card size)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal RAM size (Not SD Card size)

How big is the internal RAM that the BitBox uses or rather what is the limitation of the internal RAM before it has to read from the Micro SD card?

Bitbox has 64MB of RAM. Please think of it as more of a cache than a fixed place for samples. Bitbox automatically copies samples into ram from the microSD card as needed. You can play samples many gigabytes in length.

Comment

Cool, just the geek in me wanted to know really.

Is there (or could there be in future) a way to turn off auto save. Am I right in understanding that if you load up a preset that you had previously made and noodle around with it...turn off unit then reload it....it will have saved your noodlings over the preset?

I tend to turn off auto save function in Cubase 9.5 and other software.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Spacey View Post

Is there (or could there be in future) a way to turn off auto save. Am I right in understanding that if you load up a preset that you had previously made and noodle around with it...turn off unit then reload it....it will have saved your noodlings over the preset?

I tend to turn off auto save function in Cubase 9.5 and other software.
        The original bitbox firmware had autosave. But since at least version 2.0 it no longer autosaves. If you turn it off or change presets without saving, you will lose your changes. You have the option to Save over the original preset, or Save As something different, either a new preset or save over a different preset. Sounds like we have evolved in a direction that works for you!

Thanks for all of your comments. I will let Aaron reply to the other requests.

Comment

That is great news, I do prefer to be in control of my files

Comment

Yeah so my experience with this is that RAM as we have maybe traditionally thought of it is not the key factor here. Rather, it is streaming "speed", but nonetheless I have experienced no problems with Bitbox using very large or small files including at the same time. As a frame of reference I am moving over to Bitbox from Akai MPC Live. I don't need the sequencing capability MPC provides (which is excellent but a BeatStep Pro serves my workflow better.).

So, as a sampler the MPC has a flaw in my opinion. It has 2 Gigs of RAM, which of course swamps the mere 64MB of Bitbox. But it is HOW they each process audio that matters. I wrote to Aaron about this and he immediately responded to confirm my theory. The MPC does not stream audio from disk. So my 500gb SSD turned out to be just a nice storage tool, but no matter what I am hamstrung by MPC architecture despite the big RAM. First about 750mb is used for the OS. That leaves practically speaking a bit over 1gig for samples. But that goes quick in many workflow. For instance if I have a three or four minute drone, Akai expects that as a "audio track" versus pad sample (I can actually use it either way). But, load up a few of those big files and you're done. Let's say 12 minute worth of audio.

For most MPC users, although Akai greatly touted the audio track capabilities, it's used as a beatbox and for that it's the best there is in my opinion. But doing Ambient music and needing to mix lengthy files along with shorter one shot hits, it's actually not ideal, for me anyway. I am discovering that the Bitbox performs well in both "managing" the short one shots while also playing back long/big files. I have tried to actually push it to make it choke (load up a preset with many long files and short ones and starting triggering them). So far, I can't "break" it. To replicate the same test on the MPC, it either simply won't allow me to load the files at all (insufficient memory error) or if it is on the verge, will commit "voice stealing" by usually sacrificing the long playback files (which is actually what I would rather stay playing).

Hope all of this makes sense. I haven't experimented with clips or slices. But if you are concerned that the Bitbox will be able to handle long files, some of mine in the aforementioned experiment were 2 gigs. One last thing: the presets load what seems like almost immediately. Even the ones with large files. I kind of wish there was a faster way to *change* the presets (on the fly like "scenes" or something, maybe like MIDI PGM change). But my verdict is that the Bitbox, especially maybe two, combined with a good sequencer and/or strike pads, is a "groovebox/MPC" killer with all the extra functionality modular provides.

Also, the followup/communication/support from Aaron & Co. is encouraging.

Scott

​​
            Last edited by Hikari_Sound; 01-01-2019, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X