Syncing & Latency

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncing & Latency

Hey, just got a BitBox and quite like it. There are some things, which don't seem to be working for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
    First and most important thing for me: I want to take a Loop, let's say 8 Bars of Shakers, and load it into the BitBox and have it play in timing with the rest of the modular. My BitBox is doing strange things when trying to sync loops.
    The other thing is, that when I want to use it as a Looper. Lets say I record a Drumbeat with it. As soon as it starts looping after the recording is over, its a few milliseconds behind. Why doesn't the BitBox compensate its own latency? Surely this wouldn't be too hard to do, as you know the latency of the module and only have to move the sample forward by that amount after recording is done. Am I wrong in assuming this?

OK. Got synced loops working. takes a bit of trying out, but works more or less. Latency Compensation would be nice, but I guess I can live with it for now. Fun little box.

Comment

It takes a little effort and tweaking to get loops working well. We may need to make a tutorial about that.

Comment

seems to work better with some than with others. So what do you I have to look out for when creating loops?

Comment

Glad to hear things are working better. What scenario is giving you problems with sync? The external clock input? MIDI?

Thank you,

Comment

I'm not using MIDI. Always using an anlog Clock. I'm talking about loading Loops in Clip Mode. Now I ended up putting a little 4/4 Click into the Loops. If I have a Loop with an offset HiHat, which doesn't start at 1, Bitbox gets confused. Would it be possible for Bitbox to read the analyzing Files, which Ableton creates? That would be such a nice feature, if Bitbox could take all Info it needs on the Loops from those Ableton Files. Alternatively maybe something like being able to create txt files which have all the relevant information for Bitbox about the Loop, so it plays them back properly.?

Comment

Igor,

What hardware are you using to generate the clock? Is everything resolved to your satisfaction?

We will add you suggestion about reading Ableton files to the wishlist. Thank you.

Comment

I think maybe using the standard way of reading embedded loop points that most software can read. Basically if you make loop points in say Soundforge and then load that .wav in any soft sampler you can then use those loop points. As useful as Ableton is, not everyone uses Ableton. I think the universal embedded loop points info would be better for everyone.

Comment

I'm able to record loops with MIDI clock and they sync fine without any noticeable latency - maybe the analogue clock is the cause? It doesn't reset in the same manner MIDI clock does.

Comment

I use Pamela's New Workout, which has an amazing stable clock. I did a lot of tests with clocks. Analoge Clock is much tighter than midi clock can ever be. My clock is definitely not the problem.
                    I don't care if its Ableton files or Traktor or text files or whatever, but it would be really nice to have a way to prepare loops for the bitbox.
                    Also the bitbox has between 4-6ms latency. If I record something, its always at least 4ms late when playing back. Would it be possible to have bitbox move the files 4ms ahead automatically after recording? This way it would be possible to use Bitbox as a very extensive live looper.

Comment

Thanks for the information. It enables us to try and reproduce the problem and then fix it. More to come.

Comment

Originally posted by Shledge View Post
                        I'm able to record loops with MIDI clock and they sync fine without any noticeable latency - maybe the analogue clock is the cause? It doesn't reset in the same manner MIDI clock does.
                        What I meant was ... the ability to load a sample onto the SD card that has already had its loop points set (Kontakt, Halion and most soft samplers can extract the embedded loop points) then Bitbox Loop points would automatically be set to those points if present.

The thing is, most already looped samples will have the crossfade parts added to the .wav by the looping software they used. Having Bitbox use these loop points would make for perfectly looped samples. Having finished my last sample library for Kontakt Player I personally have a library of over 60,000 looped/crossfaded samples of a huge set of analog waveforms....would be happy to share some sets with the group....but would be pointless without the loop points being read from the samples.

Aaron, if you want me to email you a set of looped (in Soundforge) .wav's to test let me know.

Comment

Nice to see this getting the attention it deserves...oh wait.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Spacey View Post
                            Nice to see this getting the attention it deserves...oh wait.....
                            There are lots of different topics mentioned above. I would appreciate a few WAV file examples with embedded loop points. Thank you very much.

Comment

I'm having the same problem. I just made some loops and loaded them up for the first time. When I had about five loops playing bitbox started dropping sound then when i played six it wouldn't produce any sound. This is the case both when I'm clocking externally analog and when I'm using the internal clock.
                              Last edited by Votron; 09-26-2018, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X