Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What about the hidden compressor/limiter ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the hidden compressor/limiter ?

When i add a loud sound in front of a drum sequence, a limiter/compressor seems to kick in, any info about that ? would it be possible to change settings ?

The compressor is on the main, stereo output. If you choose anything else (FX1, FX1/2, OUT1, etc.) you will avoid the compressor. I'm sorry to say that as of version 2.1.1, the compressor settings are not available.

Comment

This should be clearly stated in the manual, as sometimes one is wondering why output levels change and find no clue... that there is a compressor on stereo output explains a lot

Comment

There is a compressor built into this?

I would rather there was not or at least an option to turn it off. Adds delay to the sync and compressors are very much a matter of taste. At what point does the compressor kick in? Threshold?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Spacey View Post
          There is a compressor built into this?

I would rather there was not or at least an option to turn it off. Adds delay to the sync and compressors are very much a matter of taste. At what point does the compressor kick in? Threshold?
          agreed!

Comment

I for one am actually quite happy that there is a compressor on the main output, as it helps to stop damaging speakers or blowing out a P.A in a live performance setting. It's actually more of a limiter as it's quite transparent - unless you're really driving something... For many years I have used a gain staging (optimal level) of -10dB in production, and this seems to work very well within bitbox, to keep everything sitting nicely in the mix without any squashing. Give it a try!

Comment

Thanks for the discussion. Yes, the compressor is more of a limiter meant to keep things from clipping under abnormal or extreme circumstances. Lots of software already has one built in, like Traktor and Maschine, for the same reasons.

Comment

I recently bought a bitbox... I have to say: I absolutely love the module, but I also have the issue with the limiter, i'm not saying that i don't like it but, sometimes the master outs feel a little weak compared to the other outputs. Also, at times I would like to have a completely dry signal on the outs, so i can use external compressors. for my workflow there is a workaround though: fx1-fx2 as stereo main out, out1 and out2 as mono outs.
                for some patches i like it a lot though, so It would have been great if it was possible to switch it on/off on every output configuration.

Comment

I would really like the ability to turn this feature off. I assumed that it was a sort of CPU limitation of the device, and have been working around how bad it sounds when I really get going.
                  A few simple tests using the FX outs and I am delighted.

I vote we gain the ability to turn the compression OFF
                  I would be a lot happier with the results if we could do that please.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I for one am actually quite happy that there is a compressor on the main output, as it helps to stop damaging speakers or blowing out a P.A in a live performance setting. It's actually more of a limiter as it's quite transparent - unless you're really driving something... For many years I have used a gain staging (optimal level) of -10dB in production, and this seems to work very well within bitbox, to keep everything sitting nicely in the mix without any squashing. Give it a try!
                    Sure, but ones mans taste is not another mans...and with limiters/compressors being a very personal thing (I still prefer external UBK Fatso, Distressor and some old fav plugins) I would still like the option to not have a built in limiter. Gain staging for me is always VU0 (-18db digital) with peaks hitting-12db digital so unless you are really new to this there should be no need for a limiter.

I'm guessing if you have shelled out the cash for a Bitbox you must have some idea about audio... distortion from running too hot is easy to spot.... but a built in hidden limiter is harder to spot but you know something just doesn't feel right when say playing back the same samples through an S-950

Comment

Working...
                    X