Screen keeps flickering.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screen keeps flickering.

I am on the 2.1.1 firmware. Screen is flickering non stop. It's like a seizure screen flicker. It's a mess. Any help on what's causing this. It's definitely not a power issue. I removed all modules from the power supply. So frusterating.
    Last edited by monix; 06-22-2018, 06:55 AM.

Yeah confirmed, here too, especially in the middle of the screen so it seems. I have a toolbox next to it (on 1.1.4) and that screen stays steady.

Comment

I have a toolbox that flickers and a bitbox that is super-stable

Comment

Would someone please post a video? I thought this problem was fixed. Thank you.

Comment

I tried a video, but the flickering is not visible on it. I noticed that it is sometimes more and sometimes less flickering. I’ll give the video another go when it’s at it maximum.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
            Would someone please post a video? I thought this problem was fixed. Thank you.
            Hi Aaron,

I tried to take a video, but the flickering doesn't really show, I think you can't video the screen. But I am attaching a link here to the video I took anyways. https://photos.app.goo.gl/2beqfhHXMACTSNDZA

The flickering will go away at times. But anytime I am playing in a session over 25 minutes it always happens. It's just the whole screen flicker very fast, you pretty much can't even look at the screen. It's frustrating since it essentially makes the module unusable until it goes away.

Please help.

Thank you!!

Comment

I received my Toolbox module yesterday and the screen flickers also, I've tried a firmware update but it still happens.
              EDIT, Bad batch? Serial number of my module: 0080001067

Aaron, you can't upload video to your forum, only attach photos. Enabling that feature would be of benefit.

Comment

• Christine
                Christine commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm trying to see why we can't attach videos.

Same here, jittery/flickering screen. Comes and goes. Starts after 5min powering on. Super annoying, Bitbox being such an awesome module.
              Had a pretty convincing video, but this forum won't upload it... :-(
              Serial # 0010001299

Comment

Originally posted by PCBsmell View Post
                Same here, jittery/flickering screen. Comes and goes. Starts after 5min powering on. Super annoying, Bitbox being such an awesome module.
                Had a pretty convincing video, but this forum won't upload it... :-(
                Serial # 0010001299

That's what I get, The video I took shows it clearly glitching, I may have sorted it though. The module still functions as it should and the sequencers are not effected by the screen glitching, yes? Then it must be a local fault to the screen. signal/power supply issue?
                The screen hooks up to the main PCB via the two brown ribbon cables.
                I carried out the following fix last night and my system has been switched on for the past few hours this morning. I've used it for the past hour and the screen hasn't glitched once. It could have fixed it but until the end of today I'm not laying money on it.
                IMPORTANT.
                Read the steps and understand them before attempting this fix.
                If you don't understand any step then please ask for clarification.
                So far it's worked for me but there is no guarantee it will work for you.
                Unplug the module from your rack before carrying out the fix, I set it down on the bubble wrap packaging it came in.
                IF YOUR NOT HAPPY CARRYING OUT THIS FIX THEN DON'T ATTEMPT IT. I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR ANY DAMAGE CAUSED BY ATTEMPTING THIS FIX.
                IF IT WORKED OR DOESN'T WORK PLEASE RECORD YOUR FINDINGS IN THIS THREAD SO THAT OTHERS CAN BENEFIT FROM YOUR FINDINGS.
                I HAVE AN ELECTRONICS BACKGROUND BUT THIS IS NOT RELEVANT IF YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO CARRY OUT THIS FIX YOURSELF.
                I HOPE THIS HELPS FIX YOUR FAULT.

Comment

I spoke with Aaron yesterday. He agrees that it's good idea to try to make sure the ribbon cable for the screen is attached properly. Here's a video he made that demonstrates how to do so:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d_uT1WyRCc

Comment

I'm trying to gather more information about this issue to try to help resolve it. If you are having problems with flickering, could you please answer the following questions?

1. What power supply are you using for your rack?
                    2. What other modules do you have that are hooked up to the same power supply?
                    3. Which format of power is the ultimate source for your rack? This depends on which country you are in. For example, the US uses 110 Volts and 60 cycles, while Europe uses between 220 and 240 volts. (This probably won't matter because the rack power supply should even it out. But I've learned to question everything.)
                    4. How old is your module?
                    5. When does it happen? Right away? After it's been on for a while?
                    6. Which module does it happen with? Toolbox? Bitbox?
                    7. If it's series 1, what is your serial number? (For Series 2 we only have one batch so it won't matter.)
                    8. Did you buy the module new or used?
                    9. Where did you buy your module?

Please answer as many questions as you feel comfortable with.

Thanks in advance,
                    Christine

Comment

The fix previously documented in my post fixed my Toolbox module and after 6+ hours it didn't glitch once.
                      As previously mentioned the glitching didn't effect the modules function so Aarons advice would be one to take note of. I tried reseating the larger ribbon cable first with no noticeable difference hence me doing the same with the smaller one.
                      If I'm reading your manual correctly the series 1 and 2 modules both require a +12v supply and one would assume that anyone using this class of module would also be using a good standard power supply ie with an accurate 0v reference and not the Tiptop 2 pin power adaptor type. All 0v rails Need to be earthed via the mains supply earth pin, for safety if nothing else. This will ensure the 0v rail is an accurate 0v reference for the ICs to function correctly and as designed. Without the grounded 0v you would have a floating reference and therefore the behaviour of the ICs would be unpredictable.
                      US 110v supplies run more stable, the EU/UK 220-240v sometimes going as high as 251v at peak times so it would be interesting for people to add where they are geographically when answering the above questions.
                      For me,
                      I use the meanwell RT-65B PSUs, every 3U rail in my 18U x 168 rack use one PSU with a Ripple noise rejection bus board each, all earth bonded to the 0v rails. Modules that share this bus board: Brains, Pressure points x2, Eloquencer, ER-101, Intelijel planar, A-151 and A-160.1.
                      All my racks, monitors and mixer run through a Sollatek voltage conditioner, so I don't really suffer from over/under voltage.

Comment

• Christine
                        Christine commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm glad you fixed it. Thanks for also helping other people get their modules working. I appreciate the help.

Some people have reported trouble with uploading video to the forum. We use vBulletin software for our forum, so we have to do it the way they designed it to work. Apparently you have to upload the video to your profile first, and then you can add the video to a post. Here's a video tutorial about it:

watch how to upload videos

I hope this helps. I'm sorry it's not very intuitive.

I would like to add that we have a series of tests that are run on each module as part of the manufacturing process. We only ship modules that have passed our testing. We will work with our test team to re-evaluate our testing procedures and ensure that every module is fully tested.

Comment

Bitbox screen issue... WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/s-4rywH2wbGE
                        ...sucks, no preview possible.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBsmell View Post
                          Bitbox screen issue... WeTransfer link: https://we.tl/s-4rywH2wbGE
                          ...sucks, no preview possible.
                          That looks like a back light issue, have you tried my fix? Let us know if it works.

Comment

Working...
                          X