Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screen keeps flickering.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    FIXED! ... First tried Aaron's & staticcharge's ribbon cable reseating. To no avail. Then, Home-Settings-Brightness.
    Turns out my Bitbox's screen seems to flicker between 50% and 80% brightness setting. Go figure.

    I guess I had it set between those values all along. Set it at 40%, plenty enough, this screen screams Bright n'Crisp! Had the unit on for hours at 40%, no more flickering. Ahhh!
    Thanx Aaron, Christine & staticcharge for the input! Will try n'post a video. Now let's play!
    Last edited by PCBsmell; 07-02-2018, 09:45 PM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Good news mate. Thanks for including details of your fix.

      Comment


      • #18
        Hi again y'all. Here's my video about that 50-80% brightness setting issue. I wouldn't call it a FIX per say, just playing with the machine's settings. Such a simple/basic procedure I could have done right from the start!
        Tried many times to upload video via vBulletin... simply doesn't work... for me anyways.

        So, there's a Youtube link: https://youtu.be/MgJIHI8aOMA

        Will get to Christine's questionnaire soon, which i think is quite relevant. Aaarrgh, just don't have time!

        Comment


        • #19
          Also noticed my screen flickering... same scenario, sometimes awfully, sometime just steady like it should. Already tried playing with the brightness setting... I would say it works but not during a long period. At 40 percents and after around three hours of bitbox abuse (in a very friendly and satisfying way ) it starts to flicker again. It is not so annoying, I mean it is definitely playable like this, but I just was a bit concerned, afraid that my module was frying...

          Comment


          • #20
            So if I mess around with the brightness it does effect the flickering.

            Today I turned on the module. No flickering at all. Opened up the settings and was at 100% brightness. I simply touched the dial and turned it to 99% and flickering began instantly. Then I turned it down to 61% and the flickering has stopped. After playing for about 3 minutes, it starts flickering again. Go into settings and turn it down again... now to 50%. Good for about 5 minutes, and flickering again. I have now turned the brightness down as far as possible.

            This is really poor, and I believe it is directly related tot eh firmware. I have checked all the ribbon cables. I have disconnected all modules in my case so this is the only one drawing any power. Thi sis so frustrating as for me the module is really unusable at this point.

            Please provide a firmware update to address this bug. This is not a feature request, it is something that should be high priority!

            Comment


            • #21
              Please help with this .

              Comment


              • #22
                Hello? I guess this isn't getting fixed?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Monix, if I understand you correctly, 100% brightness is a workaround for the problem. Is that right? I am not able to duplicate your issue here, I am afraid.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                    Monix, if I understand you correctly, 100% brightness is a workaround for the problem. Is that right? I am not able to duplicate your issue here, I am afraid.
                    no, reducing the brightness to 40% is the workaround. But it doesn't seem to fix the issue, it only fixes it for a little bit of time. The member above named Fsuchs recommended to try that and it works for a little while. But eventually it will begin to flicker at 40%, so you need to keep reducing it. At this point after about 30 minutes the module is useless. This happens with no other modules plugged in and drawing power, so its definitely not a power issue. Since this is the first time it is happening I am assuming it is a firmware issue.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by monix View Post
                      At this point after about 30 minutes the module is useless. This happens with no other modules plugged in and drawing power, so its definitely not a power issue. Since this is the first time it is happening I am assuming it is a firmware issue.
                      If you are seeing flickering no one else is seeing, it is probably a hardware issue. If you are unable to avoid flickering at 100% brightness, please contact us directly for next steps using the Contact Us page on the website.

                      Sorry for the hassle.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Hope this can help...

                        1. What power supply are you using for your rack?---Tip Top Audio Uzeus
                        2. What other modules do you have that are hooked up to the same power supply?----- Batumi, Clouds, Shelves. None patched to Bitbox.
                        3. Which format of power is the ultimate source for your rack? This depends on which country you are in. For example, the US uses 110 Volts and 60 cycles, while Europe uses between 220 and 240 volts. (This probably won't matter because the rack power supply should even it out. But I've learned to question everything.)---- 110V
                        4. How old is your module?---- Brand new.
                        5. When does it happen? Right away? After it's been on for a while? ---- Right away.
                        6. Which module does it happen with? Toolbox? Bitbox?----Bitbox.
                        7. If it's series 1, what is your serial number? (For Series 2 we only have one batch so it won't matter.)---- Series 1-2? no idea. Serial Bitbox #0010001299.
                        8. Did you buy the module new or used?---- New.
                        9. Where did you buy your module?---- Moog Audio, Montréal.

                        As posted before, I found a simple workaround fiddling with Screen Brightness Settings.
                        Firmware 2.0


                        Last edited by PCBsmell; 07-26-2018, 07:50 PM.

                        Comment


                        • Christine
                          Christine commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for the information. We will compare it to what others report and see if we can find a trend. We just don't see it here and it's hard to fix something you can't repro.

                      • #27
                        Originally posted by monix View Post
                        Since this is the first time it is happening I am assuming it is a firmware issue.
                        There is one way to further confirm whether it is a firmware issue. You could roll back to an older version of bitbox or try running synthbox or fxbox and see if you still have the same issue. If it goes away, we will have more reason to believe it is a firmware issue. If it continues, it is most likely a hardware problem that has emerged with usage/wear and tear. That will help us understand how to proceed to help you.

                        Thanks,
                        Christine

                        Comment


                        • #28
                          Originally posted by Aaron View Post

                          If you are seeing flickering no one else is seeing, it is probably a hardware issue. If you are unable to avoid flickering at 100% brightness, please contact us directly for next steps using the Contact Us page on the website.

                          Sorry for the hassle.
                          There are others having the issue, they commented in this thread. I am not the only one. Please reread the entire thread to see that others are having this issue and it is now a confirmed firmware issue, see below.

                          Originally posted by Christine View Post

                          There is one way to further confirm whether it is a firmware issue. You could roll back to an older version of bitbox or try running synthbox or fxbox and see if you still have the same issue. If it goes away, we will have more reason to believe it is a firmware issue. If it continues, it is most likely a hardware problem that has emerged with usage/wear and tear. That will help us understand how to proceed to help you.

                          Thanks,
                          Christine
                          Good Call. Rolled it back and no issue. Ran it for about 2 hours today with no issues or flickering! Left it on for a total for about 6 hours or so while I went out and there is still no flickering. So this can be confirmed as a firmware issue.

                          Comment


                          • Christine
                            Christine commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks for the information. Its hard to fix something we can't repro. :-( At least this is more information.
                            Can you please confirm which firmware version has the problem? Also, what is your serial number? That will tell us which generation of hardware you have. I apologize if you've shared this before.

                        • #29
                          Originally posted by monix View Post
                          Good Call. Rolled it back and no issue. Ran it for about 2 hours today with no issues or flickering! Left it on for a total for about 6 hours or so while I went out and there is still no flickering. So this can be confirmed as a firmware issue.
                          Monix- there are a couple of other things we should rule out. Could it be the microSD card? Did you use a different card when the flickering happened? If so, please try putting bitbox on a known good microSD card and let’s see what happens.
                          Could it be related to your presets or samples? Would you please try running the newest Bitbox with the clean factory presets and content, none of your content?

                          Those two tests will help us narrow it down.
                          Thanks!

                          Comment


                          • #30
                            Originally posted by PCBsmell View Post
                            Hope this can help...

                            1. What power supply are you using for your rack?---Tip Top Audio Uzeus
                            2. What other modules do you have that are hooked up to the same power supply?----- Batumi, Clouds, Shelves. None patched to Bitbox.
                            3. Which format of power is the ultimate source for your rack? This depends on which country you are in. For example, the US uses 110 Volts and 60 cycles, while Europe uses between 220 and 240 volts. (This probably won't matter because the rack power supply should even it out. But I've learned to question everything.)---- 110V
                            4. How old is your module?---- Brand new.
                            5. When does it happen? Right away? After it's been on for a while? ---- Right away.
                            6. Which module does it happen with? Toolbox? Bitbox?----Bitbox.
                            7. If it's series 1, what is your serial number? (For Series 2 we only have one batch so it won't matter.)---- Series 1-2? no idea. Serial Bitbox #0010001299.
                            8. Did you buy the module new or used?---- New.
                            9. Where did you buy your module?---- Moog Audio, Montréal.

                            As posted before, I found a simple workaround fiddling with Screen Brightness Settings.
                            Firmware 2.0

                            Have you tried re-seating the ribbon cables, try both?

                            Tiptop PSU setups have a floating 0v reference. If you can ground you case rails or 0v power rail to mains supply earth this could be your fix. The mains earth to the 0v rail simply grounds your 0v and makes the 0v consistent. Most ICs in your modules use a +/-12v as well as 0v for the reference. If you have a float 0v reference you may get 0v +/- 5% because the Tiptop PSU isn't earthed, ie the PSU just uses a two pin plug.
                            You will also find your system will work differently once the modification is done, for the better.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X