Sort of had enough with all the high pitched noises

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sort of had enough with all the high pitched noises

So, while the Bitbox has fantastic potential, I am really starting to get to the point where all the "beeping" noises that come out of the unit, either because of triggers/gates or modulation sources, are ruining the experience for me. My Pressure Points, Function, the Qu-Bit Contour - they are all simply incompatible with the Bitbox, because they all generate "beeping"/high pitced whine when running into the Bitbox. And I don't really see why I should buy even more attenuators, just to accomodate the Bitbox.

I guess there are no other workarounds here? Other than buying more attenutators?

Sorry to hear about the difficulty. Another workaround is to use MIDI. Granted, I don't think the modules you mentioned support it.

The source of the problem is internal coupling of signals that exceed +/- 8V. An attentuator is more than you need. All that is necessary for gate signals is a simple buffer that converts to +5V signals. Perhaps someone else here has a better recommendation.

Let us know if this does not help.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Though not sure I understand what you mean with "a simple buffer that converts +5v signals". What is this buffer? Are we talking hardware? Because so much of my hardware obviously triggers the Bitbox the wrong way, so to speak.

MIDI is not an option, I'm afraid, as I am keeping my eurorack setup midi and computer free.

Comment

BTW, would placing the modules that are generating high pitched noises in the same cabinet as the Bitbox eliminate the noise, maybe?

Comment

Perhaps this simple buffer doesn't exist. I mean a module that takes a gate signal in and produces a +5V gate output. I could draw you a schematic, but that wouldn't be much help.

Let me point out that the core issue is a hardware problem that we have already addressed in models produced starting earlier this year. Please contact us via the Contact Us form on our website and we will try and work something out specifically for you.

Thanks for your support.

Comment

is there a way to tell if i have a version with updated hardware? anything on PCB or by serial number?
            thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by scanner darkly View Post
              is there a way to tell if i have a version with updated hardware? anything on PCB or by serial number?
              thanks!
              Hi Scanner darkly, Please use the ContactUs link on our 1010music.com home page to connect with us directly about this. Depending on how old the module is, there may be a little white sticker on one edge of the back of the PCB that contains a serial number. Please include that number in your correspondence. Forgive me if you are already communicating with Aaron directly. He is traveling right now.

Regards,
              Christine

Comment

Solution may be to the noise issues!

Ok, I have ran some tests with the Bitbox and the high pitch whining sound that was becoming annoying from a sound to noise ratio perspective.

Running the 8 trigger outs from my Beatstep Pro the noise is there and not quiet either.

Switching to just the midi out from the Beatstep pro, same level of noise.

Attenuating the gate output from Beatstep Pro via a modular VCA made no change

Running a trigger from the Intellijel Metropolis sequencer only....complete silence.

This is starting to sound like USB feedback noise.......

Change the power supply from PC USB on Beatstep Pro to a standard USB charger and.......

No noise, none at all!! If you are getting a high pitched whine, chances are you have a ground loop thing going on somewhere. The noise was really getting me down as I did not want to move to midi to trigger samples

Comment

Hey all - can i please get some confirmation on this high pitched noise? I was about to buy and this is something that would drive me nuts. So its a synthbox - not sure if that makes a difference.....seems Sam has found a fix but the OP wouldnt have been affected though - unless they are using USB hub as well?

Comment

Oh and midi isnt a fix at all - i dont any midi gear - all cv

Comment

Hi Yoyoma,

I use CV 100% as I'm not a fan of midi slop

The noise has gone completely after powering on my CV source from a different power supply. I have had this with other modules and is I believe just a ground loop problem.

Sound to noise ratio is very very good now and certainly in the same range as my high end analog compressors etc.

The beatstep pro was being powered by my PC's USB, simply powering the beatstep pro with an iphone charger fixed all.

By the way, CV timing on the bitbox is very good for a DSP based module. Mine is a synthbox as well that has had the OS replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by yoyoma View Post
                        Hey all - can i please get some confirmation on this high pitched noise? I was about to buy and this is something that would drive me nuts. So its a synthbox - not sure if that makes a difference.....seems Sam has found a fix but the OP wouldnt have been affected though - unless they are using USB hub as well?
                        Yoyoma,
                        The high pitched noise has only been reported by a few customers. Most customers do not have an issue. There have been two different fixes identified:
                        1. Adjust the brightness of the module to be full brightness, or very low brightness. Mid-range values are causing problems for some.
                        2. Look for ground loops. As Sam says above, he was using a USB connection on his laptop to power his input device. Once he used a more direct power source the noise went away.

Comment

Originally posted by oivindi View Post
                          So, while the Bitbox has fantastic potential, I am really starting to get to the point where all the "beeping" noises that come out of the unit, either because of triggers/gates or modulation sources, are ruining the experience for me. My Pressure Points, Function, the Qu-Bit Contour - they are all simply incompatible with the Bitbox, because they all generate "beeping"/high pitced whine when running into the Bitbox. And I don't really see why I should buy even more attenuators, just to accomodate the Bitbox.

I guess there are no other workarounds here? Other than buying more attenutators?
                          Same here

Random walks on never-ending patterns.
                          https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

Comment

Dear all,

Let me clarify the issue with gate noise:

If you drive the original version of the bitbox hardware with +10V gate signals, there is a small amount of bleed through from the gate signal to the audio output. Most Eurorack hardware uses +5V gate signals, which is why this issue only affects a few specific configurations.

We changed the board layout in October of 2017 to address this problem. In general, new hardware purchased in 2018 is the new version. If you look at the date on the PCB, which is visible from the back of the unit, you can tell if you have a newer unit by whether the date code is October 2017 or later. (We use the US format: MM/DD/YYYY). If your PCB says 10/3/2017 or later, you have the new version.

For those of you with the original hardware, please note the following:
                            1) If your gate signal is less than +8V, there won't be a noise problem. If your have trouble, please try using a different arrangement to drive the bitbox or fxbox.
                            2) MIDI triggering avoids this problem and is the best way to connect a BeatStep Pro. You only need a single TRS cable to connect all 16 pads and clock.
                            3) Where necessary, you can use an attenuator or buffer module to convert a +10V gate signal to a lower level and avoid this issue.
                            4) We have heard that attenuator patch cables are also a viable solution
                            5) Because the fix involves a change to the board layout, there is no practical DIY or factory modification.

We apologize for the inconvenience resulting from this issue. Thank you for your support.

Comment

Ok, so I have to buy 16 Attenuator Cables which cost 149, 94€ to get this hardware problem fixed? Bitbox 630€ + Attenuater Cables = 780€ to use it with a Beatstep Pro on CV/Gate? That is hard for me...
                              Random walks on never-ending patterns.
                              https://www.youtube.com/tonydekaro

Comment

Working...
                              X