Black panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black panel?

Apologies if has already been answered, but is there any plan for a black alternative panel? If not, maybe release the measurements for folks who want to make our own?

We don't have any plans for a black alternative panel. We just haven't seen enough demand to justify our initial investment in it. We have even reached out to Grayscale to ask if they wanted to collaborate to sell a black panel, and they declined.

Let me talk to Aaron about providing the specs for the front panel. Keep in mind that there are a lot of little holes on our panels that require a considerable amount of precision.

Comment

Thanks. Even the measurements would be helpful. I was thinking of using FrontPanelExpress to make it, though I need to check on how well they do square hole cuts first. I think they might drill corners, so they'd have a small rounded bump-out. Either way, I'd be happy to take those measurements and make a panel template for FPE and share it back to the community.

Update - I checked FPE's latest designer app, and they can do as small as 0.5mm corners on rectangular cutouts, which I think would work fine for even the SD card slot. It wouldn't be cheap though (as nothing in Eurorack is).
      Last edited by JoeFuture; 08-22-2018, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFuture View Post
        Thanks. Even the measurements would be helpful. I was thinking of using FrontPanelExpress to make it, though I need to check on how well they do square hole cuts first. I think they might drill corners, so they'd have a small rounded bump-out. Either way, I'd be happy to take those measurements and make a panel template for FPE and share it back to the community.

Update - I checked FPE's latest designer app, and they can do as small as 0.5mm corners on rectangular cutouts, which I think would work fine for even the SD card slot. It wouldn't be cheap though (as nothing in Eurorack is).
        If you lay it out and it works would you share the layout so others can print one?

Comment

Originally posted by monix View Post

If you lay it out and it works would you share the layout so others can print one?
          Absolutely!

Comment

Absolutely!
            Awesome. I really want a black panel. If there is anything I can do to assist let me know!

Comment

Well, I suck at art, so if you're handy in that regard, we could work together on the panel graphics. I have a show coming up in a couple weeks and don't want to upset my case too much before it, but after that I might just take apart my bitbox and try to measure out the holes myself. FPE can do sub-millimeter cuts, and I don't know if I have the ability yet to measure to that precision, but it's worth a try! I have a pretty good printer and might make some paper templates from the panel design first to test out the measurements before spending $ to have one fabricated.

Comment

Well, I suck at art, so if you're handy in that regard, we could work together on the panel graphics. I have a show coming up in a couple weeks and don't want to upset my case too much before it, but after that I might just take apart my bitbox and try to measure out the holes myself. FPE can do sub-millimeter cuts, and I don't know if I have the ability yet to measure to that precision, but it's worth a try! I have a pretty good printer and might make some paper templates from the panel design first to test out the measurements before spending $ to have one fabricated.
                Sounds like a plan, I can handle the graphics for the panel.

Comment

I have a rough mock-up of the panel using FPE's engraving method for the wording. According to their estimator, it's already around $58 for 1 panel. Apparently it's even more expensive for printing, so I'm thinking I'll probably go with the engraving for my own panel.

I had to make the SD card slot a little bigger because FPE can only do 0.5mm radius corners for inner cutouts. I'm going to play with that a bit yet. My next step is to print it and cut the template it out and compare it to the actual panel to make sure I have the measurements right. I have a performance coming up so it might be a couple of weeks before I can get a chance to try it out. Once I'm sure I have the measurements right, I'll share the FPE design file. If others are interested, perhaps we can do a group buy to cut down on manufacturing costs a bit. We'll have to see how the math works out.

I went with "black box" since it's a black panel and well, the bitbox is sort of a magical black box that can be many things.
                  Last edited by JoeFuture; 08-26-2018, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Did you price out a metal faceplate or is this or...? Just wondering if there could be a cheaper alternative, such as thin plexiglass, circuit panel, or 3d printed plastic...

I have a rough mock-up of the panel using FPE's engraving method for the wording. According to their estimator, it's already around $58 for 1 panel. Apparently, it's even more expensive for printing, so I'm thinking I'll probably go with the engraving for my own panel.

I had to make the SD card slot a little bigger because FPE can only do 0.5mm radius corners for inner cutouts. I'm going to play with that a bit yet. My next step is to print it and cut the template it out and compare it to the actual panel to make sure I have the measurements right. I have a performance coming up so it might be a couple of weeks before I can get a chance to try it out. Once I'm sure I have the measurements right, I'll share the FPE design file. If others are interested, perhaps we can do a group buy to cut down on manufacturing costs a bit. We'll have to see how the math works out.

I went with "black box" since it's a black panel and well, the bitbox is sort of a magical black box that can be many things.

Comment

Originally posted by monix View Post
                      Did you price out a metal faceplate or is this or...? Just wondering if there could be a cheaper alternative, such as thin plexiglass, circuit panel, or 3d printed plastic...
                      So far, just the metal plate. I think a PCB panel like those made by Grayscale could also be pretty cost effective. I haven't looked into how to have one of these made yet. I need to get back to adjusting the panel so the SD card slot is right. Will try to do it by the end of this weekend.

Comment

Also, found this.

https://youtu.be/gSio28SH38E

Comment

I'd love to see a photo when you get it done. :-)

Comment

Here's the design file for Front Panel Express.

Warning - I have not had one of these manufactured yet to make sure the holes are right. I did print the template and align it with the front panel from my own BitBox, so I'm pretty sure it's ok, but proceed at your own risk. I'm learning Eagle CAD now so I can try to layout a PCB panel that would certainly be cheaper.

If anyone uses FPE to make one of these, please post a picture. I think when I ran the cost estimator, it would be around $70 + shipping. At least they include a bit of candy with every order to sweeten the deal.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• denuir
                              denuir commented
                              Editing a comment
                              JoeFuture - how easy is it to edit the file you created? I'm very interested in getting one of these made through FPE but I would prefer a panel with the correct labeling when the module is turned upside down with the screen on the bottom. I have an all black system, save the BitBox and would like to make it all uniform. Thanks!

I ordered one and will let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                            X