Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clip mode timing is wildly unpredictable?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clip mode timing is wildly unpredictable?

I'm syncing my bitbox with midi from the Pyramid sequencer and would like to use it as a lil touchscreen Ableton clip view. I have some loops I made in ableton on the bitbox and it seems like the timing for launching, and playback is ALL OVER THE PLACE randomly , like sometimes it works fine and other times it triggers late or even is playing at the wrong tempo somehow? I always turn sync off and have quantize set to 1 bar. The only way I can get this functionality is if I put it in sample mode and trigger the samples externally with a gate.. anyone else have issues with this? Kind of a bummer cause I want to do live looping but kinda hard when the loops I recorded playback out of time.

Here are a few tips:
    1) Make sure your loops are close in tempo to what you need to play back
    2) Make sure the length of the loops are power of 2 in length (1 bar, 2 bars, 4 bars, etc.)
    3) Use a Sync setting of 16ths.

Comment

Originally posted by mafgar View Post
      I'm syncing my bitbox with midi from the Pyramid sequencer and would like to use it as a lil touchscreen Ableton clip view. I have some loops I made in ableton on the bitbox and it seems like the timing for launching, and playback is ALL OVER THE PLACE randomly , like sometimes it works fine and other times it triggers late or even is playing at the wrong tempo somehow? I always turn sync off and have quantize set to 1 bar. The only way I can get this functionality is if I put it in sample mode and trigger the samples externally with a gate.. anyone else have issues with this? Kind of a bummer cause I want to do live looping but kinda hard when the loops I recorded playback out of time.
      Hi, I'm in the same boat as you are pretty much. This thing is so unpredictable. I find myself ready to sell it more and more each day. Sadly the software is not there yet, certain things that make no sense to most people are overlooked and not fixed as the company seems to be focused on releasing more different firmware for thing like making this module into a laserbox, and fx box, or I think next it may turn into a lunchbox. Currently like many others this thing is useless and seems to be a hard thing to resell because everyone is trying to pawn theirs off to someone .I reluctantly still hold on to mine hoping they fix all of these major software issues... I purchased this thing like 2 years ago, and I am completely let down Everytime I see some other dumb module get released, yet they can't fix simple issues with the current one. This module is in no way even close to being able to do what able ton does. When I say not even close, I mean like not even on the same planet. It is unfortunately very misleading in all of it's descriptions and I personally feel completely ripped off considering the high price of this module. It's worth about $200 at best, but I would have rather spent under $200 buying it used so I don't feel like I wasted so much money on a module that can't really do what it claims.

I have an Erica Synths Sample Drum module coming this week, so I may just sell this bitbox and never look back. If the Sample Drum can run synced loops I will definitely switch to that since it definitely handles regular sampling much better and smarter than the bitbox. I would highly suggest looking into that module to replace your bitbox depending on your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by monix View Post

Hi, I'm in the same boat as you are pretty much. This thing is so unpredictable. I find myself ready to sell it more and more each day. Sadly the software is not there yet, certain things that make no sense to most people are overlooked and not fixed as the company seems to be focused on releasing more different firmware for thing like making this module into a laserbox, and fx box, or I think next it may turn into a lunchbox. Currently like many others this thing is useless and seems to be a hard thing to resell because everyone is trying to pawn theirs off to someone .I reluctantly still hold on to mine hoping they fix all of these major software issues... I purchased this thing like 2 years ago, and I am completely let down Everytime I see some other dumb module get released, yet they can't fix simple issues with the current one. This module is in no way even close to being able to do what able ton does. When I say not even close, I mean like not even on the same planet. It is unfortunately very misleading in all of it's descriptions and I personally feel completely ripped off considering the high price of this module. It's worth about $200 at best, but I would have rather spent under $200 buying it used so I don't feel like I wasted so much money on a module that can't really do what it claims.

I have an Erica Synths Sample Drum module coming this week, so I may just sell this bitbox and never look back. If the Sample Drum can run synced loops I will definitely switch to that since it definitely handles regular sampling much better and smarter than the bitbox. I would highly suggest looking into that module to replace your bitbox depending on your needs.
        I must side woth Monix in here, while it was a great concept I feel as the development got dropped along the way, maybe due to focusing on new products, sadly I will be selling mine to get 2 more sample drums, I also recived my ES sample drum and wow I cant belive such small module could do so damn much

Comment

Dear all,

Please help me understand what is going on here. As far as I know, clip mode is solid and has been for a couple of years now. What changed? Did a previous version work properly?

Thanks for bringing the Sample Drum to my attention. It looks interesting and it appears to do a subset of what the bitbox does. What makes it so much better?

Thank you

Comment

Recording into bitbox to make your own clips is pretty bad currently. You record into In1 and it comes out of Out1&2, thus making the volume much lower than it was recorded. makes no sense. Now the clip you have made is pretty much unusable unless you want to dive back into the clip to adjust the output, but at this point in a live situation you already look stupid. that's one issue. The fact that clips are not destructible in bars is sub par. There is no freedom in what you can do there. Also syncing is still just not there. The clips seem off whether they are premade or recorded into the box.

As far as sample playback it's hard to culminate why sample drum is better, but there is just a more simplified UX, but it manages to do more. Also there are fx etc. Plus the assignable knobs... List could really go on more.

I think the one thing the bitbox always had going was it similarity to Ableton for clips. But that never seemed to get fully developed to where it should be and has been swept away to make way for other things. As I said I don't know when I will completely ditch the bitbox, but the clips and recording into the bitbox are what is going to ultimately be my deciding factor .

Comment

I have made it work for a few years with the bitbox while not ideal I been udjusting the pitch to the samples in the fly, also I want to take a step back in my earlier statement while the ES SD is fun to play it wont hold the 16 samples on the screen as the BB does so Im going to keep it for now, Thanks for your efford and work Aaron !! Also I agree hopefully this doesnt get forgotten and could get to the point where is like abletons little baby

Comment

Originally posted by Komprezzor View Post
                I have made it work for a few years with the bitbox while not ideal I been udjusting the pitch to the samples in the fly, also I want to take a step back in my earlier statement while the ES SD is fun to play it wont hold the 16 samples on the screen as the BB does so Im going to keep it for now, Thanks for your efford and work Aaron !! Also I agree hopefully this doesnt get forgotten and could get to the point where is like abletons little baby
                I would rather have the 2 working samples vs 16 samples that work only part of the time as well as not being as easy to use. It simply boils down to 1010 is going to address all of the PROBLEMS or are they going to keep spending time making other novelty firmware? It's like we basically bought a module that is in beta form, and its never really been developed fully because the developers decided to work on a different shiny toy they found.

Comment

I agree that the recording bug is pretty serious. We will make fixing it a priority. Our work is never truly done. Thank you for your support.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                    Thanks for bringing the Sample Drum to my attention. It looks interesting and it appears to do a subset of what the bitbox does. What makes it so much better?
                    Embedded slice markers and sample selection via CV for starters. I notice they held off on releasing it until the firmware was fully developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
                      I agree that the recording bug is pretty serious. We will make fixing it a priority. Our work is never truly done. Thank you for your support.
                      Thank you Aaron, I think this recording issue is really important. I would say my complaining about the destructive loops is more of a feature request, but I still think it is important for those of us using clips to play with loops... It allows more free flow of playing with the loops in a live situation rather than having to plan out multiple versions of each loop in various sizes to not make working with loops so cut and dry.

Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
                      X