Bitbox 2.5 discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cinematic View Post
    While absolutely loving BitBox a lot I want to report an 'issue' with synced playback after sampling a new sound clip. When recording a lot of new sounds live, they only playback in sync when a project is saved and reloaded. Grid syncing doen't really work as expected with lots of hickups. Also noticed recording a stereo source you can only preview in mono. When the recording is finished, it plays stereo. It would be cool to have rec monitoring in stereo too so you can play live and record something when appropriate. Finally, BitBox can't handle playing 16 long stereo samples at once. Which is fine, because I appreciate the processor is limited compared to a PC. But it would be cool to use processor monitoring to not allow another sound to play when processor load is around 80% or worse. It kind of breaks a live performance miserably.
    Can you please confirm you are running 2.5.1? I believe we fixed some of that. Thank you.

Comment

Updated to 2.5.1 last night. Everything went smoothly. Loving the new exclusive pads feature.
      Thanks Aaron and Christine!
      cheers,
      dug

Comment

Dear Aaron,
        Dear Christine.

I've been euroracking for about 8 years now, and it's been a long time dream to finally be able to sample
        and also to incorporate some acoustics or samples in stereo specifically. I'm looking for that hi-fi sound.
        I've saved up for two years to finally got this specific sampler out of all the other options.
        not fxbox, not laserbox, not synthbox.

and today has been my first day with BITBOX 2.5.1. yay!

there are some great tips on this forum and am looking forward reading some more.

I wanted to keep it short. but... I have ...strong feelings. doubts, perhaps.
        After I got my unit delivered today I managed to play with it for 2 hours
        and I really want to tell you my 8 Major Issues that make me wonder

i prioritized them by severance. please let me know what you think.

PROLOGUE.
        -the SD CARD was factory formatted exFAT instead of FAT32 from factory. so my unit didn't boot up.
        pretty sure who wrote the manual didn't format the sd card.

AUDIBLE SCREEN NOISES.
        it's just like my old Desktop Computer where the graphics card makes funny noises.
        With no CV plugged in the contents of the screen makes an audible noise. surely I can't be the only one to notice this?
        if the screen induces video data into the audio stream what good is 24 bit sampling.
        Signal-to-noise ratio comes with its own noise at about -74dB, this is not a Hi-Fi product.
        at first I thought its the cvs or gates going in, but its actually the menus and the blank screen.
        do I have faulty unit or is this some sort of shielding issue on the hardware side?

I've now unplugged all other modules and am solely running 1 bitbox off of the uzeus and still the same. is this a known issue?
        please let me know, so I can return the unit.
        at 620 euros... am I now expected to purchase a 500 euro power supply to verify this issue?

AUTOLOAD:
        -If I voluntarily or involuntarily restart any eurorack module I have - things restart where I left off.
        This is can be called „Autoload“ and should be an option enabled by default. whatever was open last should be in autoload.
        this was very unexpected.
        right now the unit preloads the first project on the card alphabetically. no comment.
        if someone would like to start blank. they can turn autoload off.
        me, I want to continue where I last left it.

SAVING SLICE DATA:
        hopefully if that happens we get a copy function and proper autoload as well, I have a feeling they are related issues?
        COPY CLIP
        is it possible o copy samples from one slot to another?
        a surefire way to save a lot of time on these deep menu settings again and again.
        USER PREFERENCES:
        or a third proposed solution to the same thing:
        Some people might prefer loop station behavior and prefer launch mode in toggle,
        but me I just spent 2 hours setting 16 samples to
        slice seq: forward and defining source > trig 16 times over.
        it gets old quickly.
        perhaps a user parameter in the main menu could be set to have empty clips adopt a pre-set behavior turned on or off by default,
        as they are wildly different approaches with a plethora of settings that have to be made in several submenus?

4. LATENCY COMPENSATION.
        I don’t care to use the midi adapter at all.
        i will at some point perhaps, but the idea behind this product for me is to trigger samples with analogue triggers,
        my whole thing is to produce wildly fluctuating clocks in ways that midi can't.
        Because thats whats missing in my eurorack and otherwise I could have opted for the black box
        have you done measurements as to whether your unit responds to the beginning of the clock pulse or the end?

If I give it a straight clock from varigate 8 and I record a simple sample 2 bars in length and I grid slice it into 8 slices, the starting points are all late by milliseconds,
        Which means I miss the timings I need to hit musically and there are abrupt clicking sounds from attack spikes at the end of each slice,
        Which are impossible to remove using your volume envelopes.
        If I reslice each sample, at the end there is information missing.
        that means the audio recording needs to be happen slightly later to be in time for playback, right?

either this is where the THRESH function could come in or
        there should be a parameter for manual latency compensation?
        I for one refuse to route the sum of my entire analogue modular setup through a digital dsp.
        I've tried it.. it's not the same for a reason.

perhaps a number in samples or milliseconds that we can manually adjust
        because either the issue is tempo related or clock related, right? This could be adjustable in the main settings.

another option would be to move the clock backwards in time to the beginning of the clock pulses if it doesn't already?
        would that eliminate the need for compensation?

5. DELETING:
        No „are you sure“ prompt for the „delete“ button? how demonic... do people want this?

6. RENAMING PRESETS:
        a)
        If I rename a preset that is currently in memory, all of the references are broken and the preset stops working.
        until I rename it back.
        this shouldn’t be possible. There should be a warning or we could be referred to „save as“ in that particular case.
        b)
        would it be possible to do a long press backspace kind of thing or a <-<- clear kind of key to start typing anew?

7. LOOPING SLICES:
        we should be able to turn on Loop in Slicer Mode. this kind of craziness is what samplers are about!
        Thats what makes slicing and samples interesting.
        Thats why having volume envelopes on looped slices is nice. Slice on loop and ping pong mode to fill the gaps. Classic sampler stuff.
        expected. I understand this would probably use up channels and more cpu? perhaps if the upper voice limit as suggested worked, this would be something to be implemented?

MASTER CLOCK:
        Master clock is always running at ....120 bpm?. It is never stopping.
        But If you have no external clock… where is the master tempo control? perhaps in the main menu?
        I'm not saying I want to be able to tell how many BPMs my Tap Tempo 4ms QCD is giving Bitbox...

I'm very looking forward to really deep diving into the unit in the following days
        and hopefully over the holidays in a usb power bank powered setup
        and to a lively discussion with you all.
        can't wait to try fxbox, laserbox and synth box. but tbh all I really wanted was this kick ass bitbox. in eurorack.
        and to tell my friends its the best module in the world

night night.
        ws

Comment

Originally posted by walterschulze View Post
          AUDIBLE SCREEN NOISES.
          it's just like my old Desktop Computer where the graphics card makes funny noises.
          With no CV plugged in the contents of the screen makes an audible noise. surely I can't be the only one to notice this?
          if the screen induces video data into the audio stream what good is 24 bit sampling.
          Signal-to-noise ratio comes with its own noise at about -74dB, this is not a Hi-Fi product.
          at first I thought its the cvs or gates going in, but its actually the menus and the blank screen.
          do I have faulty unit or is this some sort of shielding issue on the hardware side?

I've now unplugged all other modules and am solely running 1 bitbox off of the uzeus and still the same. is this a known issue?
          please let me know, so I can return the unit.
          at 620 euros... am I now expected to purchase a 500 euro power supply to verify this issue?
          That's a huge post that would be better served by breaking it up into separate pieces. (Wishlist, support, etc.) Let me address the most pressing issue, screen noise: Assuming you mean there is interference from the screen on the audio outputs, that shouldn't happen. Please know that the audio outputs are DC coupled. Try running them into a mixer to see if that helps. You may also want to try disabling the master compressor to increase the dynamic range (and possible clipping). Please also try adjusting the ribbon cable coming out of the back of the unit to see if the placement of the cable impacts the noise. Please let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by walterschulze View Post
            uzeus
            There is your problem. Don't use a crap PSU that uses flying bus cables. Especially with digital modules.

Comment

agreed with all complaints in walterschulze's post but also agreed re: skip the flying bus cable power supplies. never had noise issues myself but I tested with a uZeus and got an instant noisefest.

Comment

Working...
              X