Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitbox latency test

I tested the bitbox against Prok and Disting.. here's the result:

the same trigger was used for all modules (using a mult). then into a mixer and into separate channels to my sound card.
    samples on disting and bitbox does not have any quiet part in the beginning (obviously).

Just thought maybe someone was interested to see how it compares to other digital modules. i sampled at various places to make sure there werent any jitter (not likely since this is modular, not MIDI) - the results are the same. the samples are bass drums (since i'm using Prok BD).
    Last edited by dr.snuggles; 08-09-2019, 02:58 PM.

here's a better test, trigger is now the reference instead of the fastest module

Comment

Thanks for posting this. That is about what I would expect. Bear in mind that 5ms is the same amount of time it takes sound to travel 5 feet.

Comment

np

hmm never really understood that argument though (it usually comes up when people talk about latency). I mean it works for a single sound, but if we talk music its about many sounds that are supposed to come together.. if one sound lags behind the others it can be audible.

5ms will most likely not be audible though, even when playing with analog sources with close to 0 latency.

Been a bit interested in the Tiptop One which is supposed to have 0.25 ms latency (how they've even managed that, makes me rather curious if its only on paper or if its actually in practice too..)

Comment

I mention the 1ms per foot of travel factoid to try and keep latency in perspective. I have met folks who are zealots and think we should do everything possible to get lower than where it currently is. I'm glad you agree that 5ms is good enough.

It is possible to achieve lower latency on digital systems like bitbox. The trade off is that you need to increase the update rate and overhead to account for the smaller buffers. On something like bitbox that would translate into fewer voices.

Comment

Never really had an issue with the general latency of the bitbox. There was a slight issue with input latency when recording, but even that is vastly improved as of the last update.

Comment

Working...
            X