2-voice poly in slice mode?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-voice poly in slice mode?

The manual claims that it is "2-voice". However, how it works is if a slice is already playing and a new trigger is received it will directly abrupt the currently playing slice to play the next. If it was a true 2-note polyphonic then it would be able to finish playing the first slice.

Maybe its because there's not "fade out" setting for slices (for some reason)? Is there a setting somewhere i still haven't found? I have it set to poly.

if it's currently not in i hope it will be in the future.

Try using MIDI to control the slices. I believe the issue you are seeing is specific to the gates.

Comment

I'm into modulars to get away from MIDI, it has latency and jitter, not optimal for drums (which is what i use bitbox for mainly) + MIDI is not as fun to trigger drums with at all, not if you are into experimentation, randomness etc!

I hope it can be fixed for triggers so that either slices has a fade out and 2-voice polyphony or that a slice can play in its entirety without being abrupted even if it happens to be triggered when its playing, like in the former FW where you could set it to Next

Thanks for the reply

Comment

CV can only do one note at a time, so if you want polyphony, you’ll have use midi.

Comment

just use 2 cells to accomplishwhat you want

I think there is only one issue you should consider when addressing the slices via cv: the cv should be stable just before generating the gate, > this issue has been discussed elsewhere on the forum..

https://forum.1010music.com/forum/pr...ice-modulation

Comment

The previous FW (before 2.0) with the "Next" option was great, it did not abrupt a slice if a new trigger happened while a slice was playing.

2 cells is not really what i want to use. I want to trigger drums in 1 loop at random, and without the sound being cut off, basically a function where the module does not listen for triggers while already playing a slice. 2 cells will not solve the issue of sound being cut off.

I don't select slices via CV, i just use the trigger function and random, no need for CV if you just want randomness (great function, saves me the trouble of cable and a LFO out )

Comment

I understand your point better now.

Just checked for myself and I do not seem to get any polyphony in any mode when triggering the cell via gates...every trigger just cuts previous playback...
              It seems that 'polyphony' is only available for notes triggered via midi...

There seems to be no reason why it would not be available when using gates and external note cvs?
              Playing several notes one after another from the same cell just seems to cut previous note playback...

Could 1010music comment on this please, it seems a bit awkward to implement 4- or 2-polyphony for the midi mode and not for gate/cv mode?? (or am I missing something?)

Comment

I dont get it either, there are other modules with a single trigger in that can do 2-voice polyphony, Plonk for example.. while one sound is ringing out you can still trigger a second sound and the tail of the previous sound will still be audible.

Comment

Aaron is in Berlin for Superbooth. That is going to keep him pretty busy this week. I believe polyphony is supposed to work for CV gates. This is probably a bug that was introduced in the latest bits by mistake. Please be patient and he will look into it as soon as he can. Sorry for the delay. In the interim, you could install the previous version of the firmware.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                    This is probably a bug that was introduced in the latest bits by mistake.
                    No, polyphony for a single cell in trigger (or any other mode) has never worked. It would be a really nice feature if Slices could have a Release time.

What seems to be missing from previous FW (before 2.0) was something called "Next" for slices, where if a note(a slice) was currently playing and a trigger is received it would wait for the next trigger instead to not abrupt e.g a longer snare or cymbal sound half-way (will not sound nice, or natural).

If Release Time for Slices is not possible for some reason, then above solution is the way to go about this issue.

Hope it goes well @ Superbooth... these modules deserves to sell a ton The touch interface is really super intuitive.

Comment

• Christine
                      Christine commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the correction. We hope Superbooth goes well, too. The more we sell, the more we can afford to make more updates. :-)

Originally posted by Christine View Post
                    I believe polyphony is supposed to work for CV gates.
                    That would be great, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by dr.snuggles View Post
                      What seems to be missing from previous FW (before 2.0) was something called "Next" for slices, where if a note(a slice) was currently playing and a trigger is received it would wait for the next trigger instead to not abrupt e.g a longer snare or cymbal sound half-way (will not sound nice, or natural).
                      Maybe we are discussing different issues here, I think polyphony for cv and gates is the way to solve this problem.
                      It would be more natural if one could trigger a cell a couple of times with different CV-values and get melodies or different slices to play simultaneously.
                      In your case, getting a different slice to play at each trigger without interruptig the previous one should work then. If you don't want a second instance of the same cell playing, don't trigger it!
                      If bitbox has to ignore a trigger during playback because the sample or slice is still playing back, there is no way of implementing polyphony per cell in my view...

Comment

No we are discussing the same thing, but there's an optional way to solve the issue of cut-off samples in slice mode.. BUT, if there could indeed be a 2 voice polyphony mode for triggers, then that mode would be preferable.

As for "don't trigger it".. when you are working with modulars and random/chaos this is not something you can predict. I'm not into modulars to create standard four-on-the-floor beats also very fast triggers and bursts would still mess up the sound, especially so for longer sounds.

Comment

Thanks for the discussion. I consider this to be an oversight of the changes made to version 2.0. I have added it to the bug list. Thank you for your support.

Comment

• pascalm
                            pascalm commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Aaron, did you mean implementing polyphony for gate triggers or rather the issue with"next"?

Great to hear, Thanks Aaron!

Comment

Working...
                          X