Wishlist for Live-Looping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist for Live-Looping

I have my first tries with the Bitbox and I think it`s a great Looper. That`s what I want to mostly use it for, in a live situation with my Eurorack setup and also to play an instrument. I come back to one wish, I`ve previously expressed, to engage record with cv gate. I found it difficult in a live situation to handle that with the touchscreen and I was wondering if you could do that maybe via midi. Even to switch to another cell with midi or cv would be a great feature but I didn`t figured it out yet. Another thing that`s on my wishlist is a sound on sound option for live sampling, that would be great. I think Bitbox is a great sampler but now I´m in a phase where I don`t know if Bitbox is staying or have to leave.......sorry (only because for my needs)....... if there are any updates planned in the future in terms of more modulating and operating, the Bitbox definitely stays!! Thank`s for your great work (even if doesn`t fit to my needs) !!!!!!!!

Thanks for raising your concerns. We have been answering requests for live looping in a number of ways: Version 2.0.1 has fixed length recording and auto playback of live recording. It also has more flexible routing options for each cell.

That said, there is always more room for improvement. Also, dedicated looping pedals do some amazing things and might be a better option if that is your primary use case. Could you please tell us more about what kind of pedal you would like to use with bitbox? Are you OK with playing along to a clock? How critical is overlaying versus recording a separate loop?

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for your answer. I would like to use Bb with a simple footswitch that sends a gate signal to bitbox to start the recording. That would be very helpful while playing an instrument and recording at the same time. I thought to myself what`s the special use for a sampler in eurorack for me and I think it is the possibility to modulate and operate/control the bitbox with cv and of course to have it all in eurorack format and not to take pedals or the computer with me (maybe it`s not possible for me :-) ).
      Overlaying would be much faster in the flow but, yes, the good thing in Bb is, that there are so many cells you can record.

One thing, that I didn`t figured out yet, is how autoplayback is working. I thought that the cell immediately starts to play after the recording is finished but I don`t know how to do that ? can somebody help me?

And another wish is, that the Loopstart and Loopend are modulation targets. That would be great feature in my opinion.
      Thanks for your great work and support !!!!

Comment

autoplaying problem is fixed. Thanks

Comment

Hi Kailan, I'm glad you sorted out the autoplay feature. We will keep modulation of loopstart and loopend in mind for future development. Thanks for the ideas!

Would it be helpful to have a feature that allowed you to delay the start of the recording? For example, you could set an option to delay start for 4 measures, so you have time to get your hands on your instrument before recording starts.

Comment

Yes, you`re right. That`s an option for strict arrangements or compositions, for improvised music I find it a little difficult to handle. But it`s a great feature in Bitbox that you have the delay for the recording start.
            The thought comes to me that it would be a great feature if Bitbox could do oddmeters :-)

Comment

By oddmeters, do you mean non-even meters, or unusual meters?

Comment

Odd meters are bars with an odd number of beats - usually things like 5/4, 7/8, 13/8, etc

Comment

• Kailan
                  Kailan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes, thank you.

Yeah... odd meters is something I would like to see too. I think there have been several requests for that. I would love to see a foot control of record start and stop ... I use a JamMan for looping with my guitar and that is the behavior they have. I am figuring BitBox will eventually have it... At one point I was thinking of building something out of legos to tap the screen on a foot press...

Comment

Haha the good ol' Lexicon JamMan... I still have one of them but haven't used it for many years. I had a lot of fun with it back in the day!

Comment

lol... Yeah... I still have my rack mount version in the basement someplace. I bought the memory expansion for it and all like 20 years ago. I think it had 30 seconds of looping. I used to be obsessed with Phil Keaggy and his looping skills. Must have saw him live 5 times. Now I have the little blue pedal. It works great for looping guitar.

Comment

One option that might be cool would be if the BitBox could send a JamMan sync signal out one of the FX outputs. Then a guitar player could sample guitar live from the JamMan and have it in time with the BitBox clock in. I have seen there is box that syncs JamMan based on Midi signals. I don't know what that JamMan sync signal looks like, I just know it is some sort of proprietary signal. From the videos it might be a stereo cable used to sync.

With all that said.. the best solution would be to have a CV trigger into the cell ( or from an EXT source ) control start and stop recording.
                      SyncMan offers a MIDI extension to the JamMan XT loopers. It had also a Korg or external clock input for syncronizing JamMan with most of rythm box and sequencers.

Comment

Ha... I wonder if I could create some LFO sample in Audacity that I could feed out the BitBox FX outputs to sync a JamMan and then trigger that sample in time with my Eurorack. I might have to experiment with that.

Comment

As an exercise, I tried doing some live looping with a guitar and bitbox and many of your comments become painfully obvious. If I had to identify the problems, I would rank them this way.

1) There is no way to get a predictable countdown and recording start. 1-bar is too short and quantizing to higher values leaves you wondering when the recording will actually begin. Typically this is solved with a countdown setting and visible display of when the recording will begin.
                          2) There is no way to start recording without touching the screen and taking your hands off of your instrument and breaking the flow. This is where a pedal would do the job. I am not clear what I would buy to serve the need. Would it use MIDI or CV?

In terms of creating a comprehensive live looping device, I would expect the next request would be for free form looping where there is no clock--just a single loop length. Can you live without this or should we only advance the feature set if we can include it?

I look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

Any typical momentary guitar foot switch would work. Trigger via MIDI would be a great addition to be able to use drum triggers and other controllers to start it. I would think that 99% of people would want to run to a clock, but free form looping could be good for creating the first loop, and then you would want the rest of the loops to be clocked to it from that point on. Sometimes I think having an inbuilt metronome "click" that could be turned on/off would help to capture the first loop.

Comment

Working...
                            X