manual entry of start/end points for quick sample editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• manual entry of start/end points for quick sample editing

i love using Bitbox to record long samples for editing later but it's absolutely tedious to have to use the knobs to scroll through start/end values. would be great to simply be able to manually enter start/end points and further tweak with knobs (either that or have a coarse edit and fine edit knob where coarse would increment 10x/100x/1000x faster than the fine). for example, i recorded a drone improvisation today that was 6 minutes long and it's extremely time consuming to try to navigate through it with the knobs, even at the widest zoom setting.

Have you found the Start and Len parameters in the parameters screen? Keep pushing INFO with a cell selected and you will cycle past the WAV screen to other parameter screens. If it's in sample mode, you can use the knobs to enter numbers for Start and Len values in terms of sample numbers. Then push INFO until you are back at the WAV screen and you can tweak it from there with the WAV file visible.

Comment

I have, but it's just SO slow. for short samples it's totally fine but for longer recordings it's useless. here's a short vid of what I'm talking about... 20 seconds worth of turning a knob and I've barely changed the sample at all.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GUuyeKGbDibhmVc7

Comment

simple solution could be to enable tapping or double-tapping-ta any of the four grey boxes to open a number pad or something for manual value entry. would also be helpful if the maximum value (full length of .wav file in samples) was visible somewhere on the screen.

another possible option would be to enable timebase selection with samples, milliseconds, seconds, minutes as options. that way when navigating a lengthy sample you switch to minutes, choose let's say minute 5. then you switch to seconds, scroll to less say 33. then ms or samples would be perfect for honing the sample from there.

one other thought I've had on how this might be implemented is having a "loop visible" or "trim/snap to visible" option on the main waveform display screen. that way you can zoom in/out as needed and immediately have start/end or loop start/end values snap to what's shown. honestly this would probably be the best due to its speed/ease of use and how nicely it would get along with the existing control options.

Comment

I see what you mean. This has come up before as well. We don't regularly work with such long files. I will log the request again and see what we can come up with.

Comment

i figured this was a bit of a niche case but thought i'd ask. thanks! hopefully it's not too much hassle to implement one or more of the above options... after giving it some more thought i'd absolutely love the "loop visible" and "trim/snap to visible" option available. would make editing an absolute breeze and play really nicely with truncate/trim/crop to new sample if that ends up getting implemented as well. thanks!

Comment

The beta that we released yesterday has improved performance for the knobs so there is considerably less scrolling. Use pinch gestures to zoom out, then turn the knob to get close to where you want to be, then zoom back in and use the knob for small refinements.

Also, if you have WAV files that have the loop points embedded in them, we now read those when you first load a WAV into a cell. You can then change the values for that cell. We want to get to a point where you have the option to save those values as well but we aren't there yet. We want to be very careful with anything we do that will permanently modify your source material.

Comment

thanks for the update! will test this beta out tomorrow.

Comment

this is definitely much improved in the latest beta! thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X