Auto save versus manual save

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto save versus manual save

Bitbox is alway running in the background saving your work. This is modeled on how your typical iPhone app works. It also follows the model of being able to pick up where you left off in a future session.

Desktop software and some of our other products, like synthbox, are different. You have to manually press the Save button to keep your work.

Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages. Manual save gives you the ability to walk away from changes you don't like. It seems like a better option when there are a lot of presets you may want to tweak but ultimately keep in place. Auto save makes sure you alway have the latest version to be able to come back to it later.

For bitbox, are you happy with the current auto save model? We appreciate your thoughts.

The auto save is a good idea, but I would prefer the manual save option, as I often play around with patches I was happy with but end up losing the original idea

Comment

What about a “save as” option? This would only work with manual save. Would there be value in being able to save your work under a different preset name so you don’t lose the original that inspired you and you don’t lose the work you just did?

Comment

"Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard." Interestingly enough I visited this post and got this from the Forum haha.
        I think it would be cool to have the ability to snapshot, and/or manually save together. If you took snapshots like auto-saves along the way, you could have the ability to A/B your differences you made. Along with this you can walk backwards to where you ended up, while have safety knowing your working is being backed-up. If I manually save, this can be formally named, etc as a preset. Maybe a Preset/Snapshots navigation where you separate the auto-saves and the formal save-as into two lists, with some more defined categories/folders.

-s

Comment

I usually like to keep different version of a work in progress, so I would appreciate to have a "save as" option. It also gives you the option to take a basic setup as a starting point, tweak as you go along in a performance and still being able to go back to the original version with a simple click.

And while we are at the topic of presets: would it be possible to have a preset management in the bitbox like we have in fxbox / synthbox / toolbox? Having a list to scroll through which holds more than 12 presets (maybe limitless?) would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by tomeso View Post

And while we are at the topic of presets: would it be possible to have a preset management in the bitbox like we have in fxbox / synthbox / toolbox? Having a list to scroll through which holds more than 12 presets (maybe limitless?) would be great.
            The preset management in bitbox has come up repeatedly in the wishlist. I'm pretty sure Aaron started this thread as research into the design for those changes.

Comment

I would prefer the save as function too... With unlimited presets it would be perfect

Comment

I recently posted information about how to do "save as" type functionality for the other boxes here. Aaron said that would be available in the new version of bitbox in the future as well.

Comment

I would really like the option to save to a different location than the current preset. For example, I often start a new idea based on an old one. With the current set up that means I have to recreate the whole preset from scratch which is less efficient.

But I do like the auto save feature too though, so not sure how to implement this easily. Perhaps a save screen that could allow you to both discard current settings (i.e. revert to original) and save to different location? This means when you start saving you would have to duplicate the file or have some way of loading preset files? (now that would be cool)

Comment

Maybe the best option would be to have a setting to turn auto-save on/off?

Comment

Auto save function enabled or not enabled, i like a "save as" function, this way you can start with an existing preset and go from there. Also naming them would benefit.

Comment

Hello again,

In bitbox firmware 1.3.4 we have switched over to the manual save model and provided the ability to have unlimited presets. You will recognize the new preset screen from all our other modules.

As a special bonus, we also included the "Save As" functionality. Thanks for your ideas and support.

Comment

For some reason I’m not able to save at all. Each time o create a group of samples and shut down or change presets I lose all my work.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaredf View Post
                            For some reason I’m not able to save at all. Each time o create a group of samples and shut down or change presets I lose all my work.
                            Hi Jared, Here are the steps to save your changes to a preset in bitbox 2.0:

Press the Home button until you see the menu screen. This is the screen with four options: Main, Presets, Tracks and Settings. Touch Presets to display the preset management screen. Touch Edit in the menu. Touch Save or Save As in the edit submenu.

Let me know if it's still not saving. You can find this information and much more in the user manual available for download at https://1010music.com/bitbox-documentation.

Best regards,
                            Christine

Comment

Working...
                            X