Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No midi over usb or access to storage when the blackbox is plugged to a computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No midi over usb or access to storage when the blackbox is plugged to a computer?

Not much of a problem but I can't find in the manual the info regarding midi over usb (not from the usb host plug onboard; I am talking about send midi via USB from a computer to the blackbox, not from a plugged device in the USB-A port).
    Also the computer I use, does not see the blackbox as storage device; nor I see any midi driver used for it, so I can't send midi over USB nor I can access the SD card onboard, unless I turn off the device.

Is this expected? I don't mind going back and forth but would love to test the audio files directly without turn off the device and remove the sd card every time. Thanks!

Yeah. That port is just for power. I do just pop the SD card out and back in when it's running. But thats probably a bad thing to do.

Comment

Unfortunately, it is not possible to mount Blackbox to your computer as a storage device. The only way to manage files is to pop the SD card out and connect to a PC.

I'm not sure I understand your question regarding midi. The best way to send midi info from your computer would be to connect the USB-B port on Blackbox to your PC's USB-A port . This would transmit midi, and your computer would also provide BB with power. Blackbox also receives midi information from it's "device" port. I use this connection to slave Blackbox to a Pioneer Toraiz Squid, and it works well. If this option is used, power must still be provided through the other USB port.

Comment

Blackbox requires a lot of power. I would not power from or through a computer. The USB-B is only for power and will not allow you to mount the blackbox from your computer. However, it is more than ok to hot-swap microSD cards without a power cycle on the blackbox. I take my cards out, make changes, then re-insert several times every day. No problems there.

Comment

Steve,

I guess taking out the sdcard while the BB is on would mean stop playback (which at least in some cases is streamed from the sd) or recording and refrain from doing anything related to file loading/management.

I would use this tip regularly but I don’t want to risk corrupting my sdcard, especially when I’m on the go. Is there any protection against corruption happening when someone removes the card, forgets that and tries to record something on it ?

If there isn’t, I wouldn’t recommend doing this at all.

Being able to send data on the sd file system right from the USB port would be cool but I’m certain the challenge will then be to give this access without having the Blackbox be put to some “data” mode, forbidding any other interaction with it. Again, to avoid data corruption.

Comment

it is 100% ok to hot-swap cards. Nothing will happen to your blackbox. I/we can never really guarantee that a microSD card won't pick up an artifact for any number of reasons. Having said that, I use my blackbox every day and I very regularly remove the card, while the device is powered on. Very often with audio running.

Comment

• arteom
              arteom commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Steve, this just hasn't been my experience. Not sure where I'm going wrong. More recently I wound up with artifacts on one sample (luckily had backup in duplicate preset). Had taken said sample to computer to try and level it a bit, in the end decided to try and recreate it on synth using sequence I have on blackbox. That hasn't been going well either with synth randomly making screeching noises. There's a variety of things that could cause what I'm seeing, and could be unrelated to removing sd-card while bb is on, but that is the one thing I did that I normally don't do.

I wish i could use orba midi with it but orba does midi over usb

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              you can. Plug it into the USB Device port.

• BitFarm
              BitFarm commented
              Editing a comment
              The CME Widi Bud might work. It would be more expensive than a cable, but you could use the Orba untethered.

https://xkeyair.com/widi-bud/

Steve, has anyone tested the BB with Widi Bud?

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              I can confirm that the WidiBud does work with the blackbox and bluebox. I can also confirm that the Orba works with the WidiBud and USB.

Nice and interesting ill try that

Comment

Working...
            X