How are you exporting your stems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How are you exporting your stems?

I'm using Logic Pro and it's a struggle getting to export my song elements individually and bringing them in the DAW without sync issues.

How are you all doing it?

My unfortunate workaround

An inefficient workaround is either having a sequence cell not do anything but launch a metronome click in a "click" section before my actual song starts with it's sections. So when I record into Logic, I record on 3 outs at a time and I have Out 1 have my click. So when I'm done tracking in, I'll grab 3 tracks at a time and drag to make sure the click is in line.

The other way that I thought about is turning my metronome on inside BB, still have my 1 bar Click section, and just turn off my metronome before my bar is done and the track starts. I haven't tried this.

Comment

so your issue is clock synchronization?

Comment

Yes, but also the issue of exporting my song per element (pad/key/slice/note) via Blackbox, since it's not a export/render sequence option.

Comment

I don't understand anything ....

Comment

If I understand the Blackbox (I've had it less than 3 weeks) and the issue (recording sequences from Blackbox into Logic w/o losing sync), can you have Logic be the MIDI clock source, run MIDI from your computer to the Blackbox, and record the sequence (or sequences, if I understand how you're using multiple outs from the blackbox going to multiple ins on the computer) in Logic on separate tracks. This should record each sequence on their own track, starting and stopping at the same times, at the same tempo.

This is how I would do it except I would have to record each sequence one at a time because I only have a 2-input audio interface. This is how I've done done this previously with other hardware (Volcas, and guitars if you count non-MIDI things where the sync issues were all my own fault for being a sloppy player).

Comment

You should be able to sync the blackbox with Logic and transfer audio stems in more than one pass if needed. How do you have the two (blackbox and Logic) connected and set up?

Comment

I just did it once but it was so easy, just record the output for the complete beat, and without stoping it you mute everything and continue to get only one pad unmuted at a time, then is so easy to place into the grid of any daw and cut every pad

Comment

I given up up trying to make whole tracks and exporting, I’m using it to sketch out ideas and then recording each sequence into an empty pad to finish off in the pc

Comment

I assign 3 Stereo pads (or 6 Mono) to the 3 Stereo outs and then with breakout cables I connect this to 6 Inputs on my Audio Interface. Then I set the DAWs bpm to the same as on the BB and just try to hit play on the BB at the right time so its almost recording on my DAWs the grid
                    After that I repeat this with more pads until all of them are recorded. the process is quite straight forward but also very tedious... I have to move the recorded tracks to the grid each time and the assigning and muting/unmuting of the pads just takes time.
                    I also mute the previously recorded tracks in my DAW when I record more Pads from the BB so I don't have to listen to them not being perfectly in sync while its recording
                    I also never record in Song mode because that would take too long for me just sitting and waiting. I normally record the shortest possible loop of each pad and then rearrange the song in my DAW. Even if that means I sometimes have to fix some clipping sounds at the loop end and start.

All of this could be SO much easier if there was an internal stem export function on the BB. So I could just export a whole song with the 16 pads bounced to 16 stereo wav files on the SD Card. And 16 Midi files

Comment

As I work exclusively with long audio samples and clips, the thing I'd most appreciate would be an option to record at 44.1kHz rather than 48kHz in the first place. That way I could supply my audio straight from the card to collaborators and remixers. So while a better way to make stems would certainly be useful, this would suffice.

Comment

Working...
                      X