Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to glide pitch?

Hey guys!
    Any suggestions, how I can glide pitch between notes on the same pad?
    Using BB for the month already but can't figure it out o_O

Unfortunately, no glide/portamento settings. I actually just wanted this feature recently while trying to program a funky bassline.

Comment

I made a quick demo of this for you. There's a number of ways that you can accomplish this with a midi controller by sending a variable CC control to the pitch parameter. I use the Keith McMillen Softstep II. It allows me to set a minimum and maximum CC value for each pad with and it has a smooth parameter. I have each pad set to do a different interval (+2 / +3 / +5 / -4 / -5 etc) You can also do it with a midi expression pedal. Send a CC from the pedal and midi learn on the pad. You'll need a way set heel and toe CC values (I use a Morningstar MC8).

https://youtu.be/qfN7bqvmXW0
      Last edited by les cooper; 03-24-2021, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Would love as well to have a glide / portamento option

Comment

Signed up just to say, if this feature existed I would already own a blackbox. Bass sounds or any mono synth sounds like leads absolutely need this function. Simply can't get funky or vibey without it imo. Much older sample based keyboards have this function. Anything to sound more voice like, (premapped vibrato could also be a nice).

The main issue is that if there is a multi-sampled instrument, how does the software approach gliding from one sample to the next? I have a Nord wave synth that does just that with samples. It seems like magic but I think it may just be bending one sample down all the way to the next and not crossfading or anything like that? Well I suppose there has to be a crossfade at some point? I just tested this again. It does sound like it is just pitch bending down but I don't know how it does the transition. I don't hear any perceptible clicks or cross over which is odd especially in lower ranges. The Nord wave (version 1) is straight up magic in this department.

Ideally there would be a Mono and Legato option along with a variable glide rate.
          Last edited by gsirvine; 05-12-2021, 07:31 AM.

Comment

+1,000,000,000 for legato and portamento options when the polyphony of a multisample (or single sample) is set to 1. I appreciate that is probably not basic from an engineering perspective, but it is basic for any instrument that plays synth sounds. When I looked at the MPC One vs Blackbox, if I had realized that this was missing, I would have reluctantly chosen the MPC One. Classic mono bass sounds are bread and butter to modern and vintage musical styles alike. Thanks in advance for giving this "essentialness" argument proper consideration, Aaron ! Your work on this wonderful instrument is very much appreciated and in every other way I love love love my Blackbox.

Comment

This is a great idea, the bends sound pretty smooth in Les Cooper's video above. Using a MIDI pedal, or maybe knobs, or pitch bend wheel on a controller keyboard. For the filter too etc. Would need to record or resample it live on BB. Another way, a sequencer like the JDXi can record it's own pitch and knob movements in sequences, and sends out MIDI.

Comment

+ 1 for legato, indeed

Comment

Working...
                X