Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looping in Sequence

Greetings!

I'm new to the forum, having only received my Blackbox about a month ago. I'm enjoying this clever device immensely. However, I've run into a challenge that I hope one of you can assist me with. I'll try to explain it as best I can.

I have a looping sample that I wish to trigger to repeat in a sequence. It works fine when I depress the associated pad: it triggers and loops until I make it stop. However, I'm having trouble sequencing it and I think the problem is that the loop doesn't conform to an even step-count/step-length. I've tried various combinations of these two settings for a sequence. What invariable happens is that I either produce a bit of silence before the sample loops again or it loops too early, before the end of the sample. The only thing that seems to work is setting sequence length to 128, but that's not ideal if I want to use multiple samples in a song.

I apologize if this is confusingly presented, but I will certainly appreciate your suggestions.

Hi There,

did you try to set the sample to clip mode? What happened when you did, or alternatively what happens if you try it now?

Cheers,
    Dan Day

Comment

Originally posted by DanDay View Post
      Hi There,

did you try to set the sample to clip mode? What happened when you did, or alternatively what happens if you try it now?

Cheers,
      Dan Day
      Hi, Dan.

I've tried as a clip and a sample. It seems perhaps it's a mismatch between the clip and sequence settings.

Right now, it is set as a clip with the following config:

LaunchMode: Toggle
      Loop Mode: On
      BeatCount: Auto
      Quant Size: None
      Sync: None

If i set the sequence as follows (or similar):

Step Len: 1/4
      Step Count:16

The only way I can get the clip to loop is to use the upper right encoder to extend the clip across all 16 steps. It will then play and loop back to the first step. However, I can't seem to find a "step count" length that will allow the clip to play though to the end correctly. Too few steps and it loops before the clip completes. Too many steps and the clip plays but then is silent for some number of steps. For example:

At Step Count 16, the clip plays to the end, loops to the beginning, plays a forward a few beats and then restarts again before playing through -- clip followed by clip for a second, then clip restarts and plays through
      At Step Count 17, the clip plays to the end, is silent for a bit, then loops to the beginning before playing through normally again -- clip followed by brief silence followed by clip

It's almost as if there's a magic Step Count between 16 and 17 that would solve the problem. I've tried adjusting Step Len to provide more granular control, but that doesn't work either.

The only thing that seems to work is creating a 128 count sequence, starting the clip at the first step and using the encoder to drag it across all of the steps.

I truly don't think this is a problem with the Blackbox. I think it's a learning curve issue.

Thanks, Steve

Comment

Actually the clip mode is doing the trick normally. It will stretch the timing of the sample to match your bpm. However, you have turned sync off. Maybe thats the problem?
        Another thing that you might try is to slightly change the pitch of the sample. The sample may get a bit out of tune, but if the difference is very low you might not hear it.

Comment

Originally posted by DanDay View Post
          Actually the clip mode is doing the trick normally. It will stretch the timing of the sample to match your bpm. However, you have turned sync off. Maybe thats the problem?
          Another thing that you might try is to slightly change the pitch of the sample. The sample may get a bit out of tune, but if the difference is very low you might not hear it.
          That's a good suggestion. I'll try that. If all else fails, I'll pull the clip into Live and finish there. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            You definitely want Sync enabled.

• krankase
            krankase commented
            Editing a comment
            I tried that (sync enabled) and I have the same problem. It may be that I have some settings misaligned or that I'm not explaining the problem well. I'll try again below.

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            Where did you get your audio sample? Did you create it?

Imagine a clip that looks like this: A @ # Z, where A is the start, Z is the desired end and @ and # are arbitrary points in between based on whatever clip/seq settings are in effect. It's a rhythmic, ambient sequence with an odd time signature.

I want the clip to play from A to Z and then loop from A to Z

I get one of two behaviors:

The sequence loops from A to #.

The sequence plays first from A to Z, then from A to @, then from A to Z -- repeat this sequence

I do think the only way to address this is to tweak the pitch until the repeat fits the timing of the sequence.

Thank you, all, for reading and for your suggestions.

Comment

Hve you played around with the beatcount setting?

Comment

Since you mentioned "ambient" and "odd time signature". When I think out of the box, meaning having a different approach to get something similar, what you could also try is to use two layers of sound to achieve a similar effect.

Copy the samples pad to another (e.g. s1 -> s2). So both pads samples are the same. Build up your loop with a sequence triggering both instances (the two pads) from a sequence alternating but overlapping. Then play around with attack/decay/release settings. The idea is to fade in / fade out the two layers of the same sample at different times so it will repeat at a rate that is somehow bound to the beat timing, but since you overlap there will be no silence in between and since you fade in and out you will not get abrupt sounding artifacts at a certain point.

Hope you get the idea...

Cheers.
              Dan Day

Comment

Working...
              X