Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sample Crossfading or Gain Reduction to Zero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample Crossfading or Gain Reduction to Zero?

Hello,

I just started really working with my blackbox in the last couple days and I'm really loving it. However, there's something basic that I can't seem to figure out how to do in the manual:

I had an 808 style kick with reverb, and I wanted to shorten the tail, however when shortening using the trim function, it's clear that the wave gets clipped and we get a nasty little pop.

I can't seem to find any kind of "crossfade" or volume trim function to force a smoother transition to zero to eliminate the click.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

You could try setting the sample mode as gate with a 0 sustain and release, then just adjust the decay to what you want and resample it. Otherwise blackbox doesn't have a fade out option when cropping the samples.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      excellent advice.

however when shortening using the trim function, it's clear that the wave gets clipped and we get a nasty little pop.

same here.

Originally posted by dertranb View Post
    yes indeed, i think that "normalize" could be so useful in many cases... (and also, as this is editing related : fade out, and fade in, as i find it's so easy and quick and smart to put a very small fade out to sample's end. more convenient and quick than using adsr or trim)
    Last edited by dertranb; 09-13-2021, 08:28 AM.

Comment

• industrialist
      industrialist commented
      Editing a comment
      So I was lazy before, I started poking in the manual, it's for 1.7.4 but there is discussion on page 29 about loop fading. Does this help at all?

i don"t use loop, i was talking about CLICK that usually ends recording, when sampling from the BB

EDIT FirmWare 17 f
    Last edited by dertranb; 09-24-2021, 02:02 PM.

Comment

try this and lmk if it helps:
      1. for testing - make a 4 on the floor seq that loops your 808 sample
      2. using the sample at the longer, untrimmed length...
      3. play the seq so you hear your 808
      4. set the sample/pad end time (we're not looping here) where you want the sample to end, then pull it in a little tighter/shorter
      5. set the release on the pad to zero, and listen to how it sounds, little by little, increase the release and perhaps you'll get the playback you're after.
      loop fading might work, also, but idk.

Comment

PLEASE share your firmware version - as a number when reporting issues.

Comment

Working...
        X