external effects unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external effects unit

can anyone recommend and external effects unit ? (preferable portable)

effects as in the Roland SP-404 mkii for example
    ofirrose
    Last edited by ofirrose; 12-19-2021, 02:56 PM.

Which kind of effects do you mainly need? Portable as in moving around between indoor places or portable as in performing outdoors?

Comment

I've recently got a Poly Beebo. It's a bit esoteric but really powerful. Empress Zoia is a similar option. Much cheaper but surprisingly good is the Korg NTS-1.

Comment

If I was looking for an all in one sort of thing I would look at one of the eventide boxes. I bought a beebo but sent it back before the return period expired, it was more work than I was willing to put in. I use a hologram microcosm. Do recommend it, but it's not a jack of all trades sort of box.

Comment

• ofirrose
          ofirrose
          ofirrose commented
          Editing a comment
          I have the Boss GT1000 Core but looking for a small mobile unit.
          Liking the Korg mini kaoss pad2s

I use an Eventide H9 Max which is pricey but does everything in one box, with a smartphone app for control.

One thing I would suggest is that, because the Blackbox has three outputs, you might want to consider three cheaper units rather than one expensive unit, so you can apply different effects to different samples at the same time.

Comment

• ofirrose
          ofirrose
          ofirrose commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ve replaced my GT1000 Core with the H9 and loving it !
          How do you set up the H9 with the Blackbox ?

Originally posted by ofirrose View Post
        can anyone recommend and external effects unit ? (preferable portable)

effects as in the Roland SP-404 mkii for example
        I recently went through a similar search when I thought that my trusty old Boss VF-1 had died. (It didn't!) The eventide units are horrifically overpriced, and Boss chose to break out its effects libraries into 2-3 different units. There's nothing really comparable today if you want a good all-around multifx unit.

It's a half rack unit that offers 30bit effects with 24bit AD/DC, and also offers digital out to the computer. I could demo effects for you if you want, I mainly use it for the bitcrusher effect, and the slicer. The LoFI processor also offers some record and radio effects that are right out of the SP-404 toolkit. The chorus/tremolo/rotary effects are amazing--still better than much of what I've heard lately. The reverb kinda sucks IMHO but if you just need something passable for most uses, it's good. All effects are BPM-sensitive (if you desire.) The RE-201 tape delay is especially good and it offers FANTASTIC simulations of the OD-1 and OD-2 overdrive pedals. (Fantastic from a guitar-tone perspective--I've used this thing for lots of stuff.)

It also has the benefit that most of the effect parameters are MIDI-sensitive, so you can assign midi controllers to most effect positions. I know the age sounds bad but I use everything on it but the reverbs--I have a K2661 if I need 'verb. It still goes for under $200 on reverb, and for portability and versatility, I wouldn't hesitate.

Here's a drumbrute with some parts tossed through bitcrush: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1meY...ew?usp=sharing

I forgot to mention that the LO-FI processor does also have the Vinyl sim which I know was popular on the 404.
        industrialist
        Last edited by industrialist; 01-08-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

If you're just looking for something to start out with and don't have a massive FX bank roll to throw at it... the Zoom MS70 CDR MultiStomp unit is a lot of fun for very low cash output. It's Stereo In and Stereo Out...There's plenty of videos on YouTube both hating and loving the unit. It certainly won't compete with Eventide, Empress, or Poly boxes... but it will definitely give you a taste of what combined FX can do, and what the order and arrangement of them will do as well.

Comment

Originally posted by insektgod View Post
            If you're just looking for something to start out with and don't have a massive FX bank roll to throw at it... the Zoom MS70 CDR MultiStomp unit is a lot of fun for very low cash output. It's Stereo In and Stereo Out...There's plenty of videos on YouTube both hating and loving the unit. It certainly won't compete with Eventide, Empress, or Poly boxes... but it will definitely give you a taste of what combined FX can do, and what the order and arrangement of them will do as well.
            Wow! that pedal is a steal for how much flexibility it offers! Does the user-created effects just allow you to alter routings or can you create fully new DSP effects?

Comment

Originally posted by industrialist View Post

Wow! that pedal is a steal for how much flexibility it offers! Does the user-created effects just allow you to alter routings or can you create fully new DSP effects?
              I have one and it is really good value for money as far as different effects its been moded (Software) a lot, just do a search on reddit theres a lot of different dsp uploads for the MS70.

I might add it has also been hacked as in you can load different Zoom Pedal firmwares but that would be on yourself to do so be careful if you do.

Comment

The MS70 CDR is not DSP programmable to create your own brand new FX algorithms... it does have a pile of FX built in that can be stacked up to create virtual pedal board presets (50 patches of them) each preset has up to 5 FX slots... and the Firmware is pretty much completely cracked ...as in FX algorithms from all Zoom MultiStomp pedals can be added into the pedal (may require swapping of less used built in FX algorithms) as far as being able to program your own FX algorithms I think that might on the horizon... (If you're into that I recommend the Empress Zoia or Poly Digit.) The MS70 CDR is pretty easy to learn the basics with and is stupidly flexible. I love doing things I'd never have the resources to do in real life with multiple pedals that basically make no sense... Like stacking square wave tremolo units serially with different modulation rates to get amplitude gates that are very rhythmic and glitchy. It's not the highest quality instrument with the most pristine high resolution algorithms... but it gets the job done and allows for deep experimentation. It's worth having just to learn how FX work with and against each other and how stacking order can deeply change the audible results. I'd recommend it for people who have no FX pedals at all as well as people who have a library of pedals on tap. The Zoia is also great... but much deeper and with a steeper learning curve just to accomplish basic FX chain routings... the payback though is how much more granularity of control you get in exchange as well as the quality of the DSP and algorithms that are available in the unit.

If you're in the quick and dirty mood the MS70 CDR shines... If you want to spend a few hours with notepad making a sublime algorithm that shifts the concept of what exactly is an FX algorithm then the Zoia is a better tool.

Comment

Working...
                X