Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering getting a Blackbox...

Hello everyone!

I am considering snapping up a Blackbox and have some points of clarification I'm trying to get some input on, so let me tell you what I have kicking around in my brain. There are 3 things that appeal to me about Blackbox:

1) CV connectivity.

I currently own an Elektron Analog Four MKII. Right now I am using the A4MKII's CV connectivity to run the DFAM and sometimes interface with the Hydrasynth. I like that Blackbox could theoretically replace this functionality. Thoughts on A4MKII's CV capabilities/limitations vs Blackbox?

2) Playback/sequencing of samples with unlimited length.

I'm trying to get my laptop off the stage, so I like the idea of being able to record stuff from VSTs in Ableton (e.g. Omnisphere, V Collection, Cherry Audio, etc.) onto a single long backing track and throw it on a device like Blackbox to play in the background. Of course the challenge with this is synchronizing the backing tracks to other hardware, especially when there are tempo changes happening from song to song. Is this a challenge that Blackbox would be suited to handle? I recently got a Roland SP-404MKII for this purpose, but I'm finding it more interesting as a production tool than a backing track machine. If I got Blackbox to work as a backing track machine, I wonder if some of its FX might even make me ditch the 404 altogether?

3) Song mode.

I own both an Elektron Digitone and Syntakt, which both lack song mode. I like the idea of being able to program sequences directly on the Elektron machines themselves, while using another device to automate the pattern changing. Can the song mode on Blackbox be made to behave this way? I don't want to replace the Elektron sequencer with Blackbox, I just want Blackbox to organize patterns that I have already programmed directly on those machines. I hate having to time pattern changes on the fly when I just want to focus on the knobs, keys and maybe mutes or whatever, so I am hoping Blackbox is a solution for that. I realize that the A4MKII has a song mode, but with the recent acquisition of the Syntakt it has me thinking I might be able to save some $$$ by selling the A4MKII if I can find a solution for song mode.

Sorry for the essay. Thoughts???

I don't think song mode in blackbox can be used in any capacity with external devices. It is pretty much only used to set which (internal) sequences play during any given song section. It sequences the sequences.

blackbox does well with playing long samples. For me it's at the center of my setup, doesn't exactly serve the purpose of a backing track device, but others have mentioned using it in that capacity and they seem to have good success with it. I think you would just need to figure out the syncing part, which shouldn't be difficult.

I don't use equipment with cv, can't speak on that.

Comment

Originally posted by freeze_etch View Post
      Hello everyone!

1) CV connectivity.

I currently own an Elektron Analog Four MKII. Right now I am using the A4MKII's CV connectivity to run the DFAM and sometimes interface with the Hydrasynth. I like that Blackbox could theoretically replace this functionality. Thoughts on A4MKII's CV capabilities/limitations vs Blackbox?

2) Playback/sequencing of samples with unlimited length.

I'm trying to get my laptop off the stage, so I like the idea of being able to record stuff from VSTs in Ableton (e.g. Omnisphere, V Collection, Cherry Audio, etc.) onto a single long backing track and throw it on a device like Blackbox to play in the background. Of course the challenge with this is synchronizing the backing tracks to other hardware, especially when there are tempo changes happening from song to song. Is this a challenge that Blackbox would be suited to handle? I recently got a Roland SP-404MKII for this purpose, but I'm finding it more interesting as a production tool than a backing track machine. If I got Blackbox to work as a backing track machine, I wonder if some of its FX might even make me ditch the 404 altogether?

3) Song mode.

I own both an Elektron Digitone and Syntakt, which both lack song mode. I like the idea of being able to program sequences directly on the Elektron machines themselves, while using another device to automate the pattern changing. Can the song mode on Blackbox be made to behave this way? I don't want to replace the Elektron sequencer with Blackbox, I just want Blackbox to organize patterns that I have already programmed directly on those machines. I hate having to time pattern changes on the fly when I just want to focus on the knobs, keys and maybe mutes or whatever, so I am hoping Blackbox is a solution for that. I realize that the A4MKII has a song mode, but with the recent acquisition of the Syntakt it has me thinking I might be able to save some $$$ by selling the A4MKII if I can find a solution for song mode.

Sorry for the essay. Thoughts???
      1) CV - the Blackbox is DC coupled, so it can sample and playback CV; however, it can't take midi data and play back quantized CV/Gates like a Midi>CV converter. You can in theory, record a sequence from an analog sequencer, loop it and play it out as a CV to a module or to modulate the Hydrasynth. You could also record gate signals too and use them in a similar way. As they are samples, they can be pitched, reversed and manipulated in any way you would a sample. There is a clock out on the BB that you could clock the DFAM from. It will not replace the CV/Gate sequencing functionality of the A4MkII.

2) The SP-404 has more effects. Period. The Blackbox is great for playing stems and long samples (and has six separate outputs for routing to external effects, etc.). I think you would probably keep the 404 for effects processing.

3) I don't think the Song Mode can send program changes required to change sequences on the Elektron devices. Unfortunately, external sequencing is limited to midi data being sent to external devices. Once again, there is some inherent functionality in the A4mkII that would not be replaced.

I hope this helps... let me know if you have other questions. Also, the 1010 team can correct me if I missed anything or misstated some functionality.

Comment

Working...
      X