Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Workflow for recording one-shots and organizing for multisamples all on blackbox?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Workflow for recording one-shots and organizing for multisamples all on blackbox?

    Hello,

    This is really a question about workflow on the Blackbox, I know the following can be done by shuttling files back and forth between a computer and the BB.

    My goal is to:

    1. Record drum one-shots from my external drum machine through my outboardl effects, to the BB
    2. Have the result WAV files be in one folder, so they can easily be loaded up via "Multisample -- Load All" in new presets/projects
    3. Do the above without the aid of a computer

    I'm wondering what the most efficient way of doing this is soley on the BB, want to make sure I'm not missing a method. My process currently would be...

    1. Select pad 1
    2. New recording of processed drum hit
    3. Change to sample mode and tweak start/end
    4. Select pad 2 repeat
    5. Use file browser delete any bad takes from the Presets folder
    6. Once I've gone through all my hits, I now save preset as "My weird drum kit"
    7. Create a new blank preset that is actually my "song"
    8. Select pad 1
    9. Browse to "Presets -> My weird drum kit"
    10. Load All
    11. Done!

    Questions about this approach are:

    - My start/stop points will not be preserved or baked into the wav files, so I'll have to redo them. There's no way to "bake" the changes into the wav file is there?

    - This approach unfortunately means I can't do it in the context of an existing preset/song, but have to close that preset, and make a new one just for setting up this sample folder. If there was a way to move files around/create folders, I could remain in my existing project. That's not possible though currently right?

    - Or is there a better approach I'm totally missing? For instance, if I could create one long splicer sample, convert each splice to a wav, and dump all the wav files to a folder...that would be incredibly efficient, but pretty sure nothing like this is doable, yeah?

    Any pointers appreciated! I also have a Blue Box if it's possible that's part of the workflow question.


  • #2
    When I dumped my drum machines in to the BB:

    1. I recorded each hit in to a long wav

    2. Put the wav in to slicer mode and used slices to mark the start and end points.

    3. Used a sequence to resample the 'edited' slices in to another long wav

    4. Re-slice this new wav and save it so the slices get embedded

    5. Then instead of wasting a preset or 16 pads I just load this 1 sliced wav in to my current preset.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmm don't think I totally follow your end result. Using slicers to set endpoints and then "bake" the wav files is a clever approach.

      Is your final product a slicer pad or a multisample? I was hoping for a multi-sample, because I think you only get max 2-note polyphony with slicers, right?

      Comment


      • #4
        Slicer mode is two voice polyphony indeed. Slicer mode is great if you wish to emulate mute groups, eg open hihat and closed hihat, knowing that you can go from fully open to fully closed with intermediate positions.

        I have a bit of difficulty to understand why you’d need a multisample though. Would it not be enough to save your kit with regular one shots into a single preset? You can easily record variations for later use into the same preset folder. Then when needed you (re)configure your 16 part drum preset on the fly. If you needed several kinds of hihats and snares for example, that’s where I could see slicer mode coming in. And still it would depend on whether or not you’d use them in your drum loop at the same time.

        Out of curiosity, what do you need loop points for in the context of a drum kit?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by dadcore View Post
          - This approach unfortunately means I can't do it in the context of an existing preset/song, but have to close that preset, and make a new one just for setting up this sample folder. If there was a way to move files around/create folders, I could remain in my existing project. That's not possible though currently right?

          - Or is there a better approach I'm totally missing? For instance, if I could create one long splicer sample, convert each splice to a wav, and dump all the wav files to a folder...that would be incredibly efficient, but pretty sure nothing like this is doable, yeah?
          I keep my drum presets separate from my actual songs. I use the sequencer in the drum kit preset to come up with a drum pattern and then resample the sequence(s) for importing into the song preset. Usually, I resample the different drum parts separately for post-processing.

          BTW I do not work with generic drum sample folders but I rather use the packing function to keep everything in a single drum preset.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dadcore View Post
            Hmm don't think I totally follow your end result. Using slicers to set endpoints and then "bake" the wav files is a clever approach.

            Is your final product a slicer pad or a multisample? I was hoping for a multi-sample, because I think you only get max 2-note polyphony with slicers, right?
            It's just a way for me to get the long wav smaller and keep each hit to a minimum. But like Georges says, it's only 2 note poly. (I like to keep things simple) but I can always copy to another pad and get 2 x 2 note poly!

            Comment


            • #7
              To get a multisample, I guess you would have to trim and save each hit and then choose 'load all' to create your multisample on 1 pad.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Georges View Post
                I have a bit of difficulty to understand why you’d need a multisample though. Would it not be enough to save your kit with regular one shots into a single preset? You can easily record variations for later use into the same preset folder. Then when needed you (re)configure your 16 part drum preset on the fly. If you needed several kinds of hihats and snares for example, that’s where I could see slicer mode coming in. And still it would depend on whether or not you’d use them in your drum loop at the same time.
                Ah sure well I'm not using Blackbox's sequencer, rather I got myself a shiny new Squarp Hapax. So by having my drums in a (non-tonal) multisample in pad 1, I can use the Hapax's step sequencer addressing the midi in of just one pad, and sequence my whole kit on a track of the Hapax.

                Meanwhile I still have 15 others pads to play with, and I can basically assign 1 track on the Hapax to 1 track on the Blackbox, setting the midi in of each pad to a different channel.
                If I used all 16 pads of the Blackbox one for each hit, I could only use the Blackbox as a drum machine and nothing else, unless I'm totally missing something.

                Originally posted by Georges View Post
                Out of curiosity, what do you need loop points for in the context of a drum kit?
                Think that's just me using the wrong terminology. No loops here, just meant to say start point as a way of trimming the WAV file so it starts right on the hit with no empty space.

                Originally posted by Georges View Post
                I keep my drum presets separate from my actual songs. I use the sequencer in the drum kit preset to come up with a drum pattern and then resample the sequence(s) for importing into the song preset. Usually, I resample the different drum parts separately for post-processing.

                BTW I do not work with generic drum sample folders but I rather use the packing function to keep everything in a single drum preset.​
                Right, so I'm guessing this is probably my approach. Create a new preset that is called "Drum Machine", and like you said one hit per pad. I'll just have to be careful of recording my hits so the WAV starts right at the hit with no lead in, which I can accomplish via record threshold, or maybe using via steveg's approach of slicing the wav + sequencing + resampling.

                Then I can use the pack function (thanks I wasn't aware of that) I can auto-delete any extra files not assigned to pads/byproducts of the resampling process.

                Then from my pad 1 of my "Song " preset, browse to "Drum Machine" preset and load all to get a multisample in on pad 1.

                Originally posted by Georges View Post
                To get a multisample, I guess you would have to trim and save each hit and then choose 'load all' to create your multisample on 1 pad.
                Yep, exactly.

                Originally posted by steveg View Post
                It's just a way for me to get the long wav smaller and keep each hit to a minimum. But like Georges says, it's only 2 note poly. (I like to keep things simple) but I can always copy to another pad and get 2 x 2 note poly!
                Gotcha, that totally makes sense.

                It would be really incredible if you could slice a single wav file with all the hits via slicer, and dump the resulting slices as separate wav files to a folder. That would allow you to create a multisample on one pad super fast. (Or just have more than 2-note polyphony, but I'm guessing that's computationally expensive).

                Anyhoot, thanks both, I guess lemme know if you think I'm missing a faster way but I think the "prep everything in a separate preset" way is gonna be the best.

                Comment


                • #9
                  By not using the internal sequencer as a post-processing tool, you’re in my opinion missing out on bb’s flexibility. Sure, external sequencers offer more features and consistency for writing sequences. Nevertheless, bb’s internal sequencer can be used in many unconventional ways to edit or play back one-shots or clips, eg for resampling, synched multi-clip triggering, apply non-destructive beat-grid trimming to clips, using sample or granular modes in a clip-like manner, etc.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dadcore View Post
                    It would be really incredible if you could slice a single wav file with all the hits via slicer, and dump the resulting slices as separate wav files to a folder. That would allow you to create a multisample on one pad super fast. (Or just have more than 2-note polyphony, but I'm guessing that's computationally expensive).
                    Why not create a dedicate feature request for this in the wishlist section?

                    Comment


                    • Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Please also search the forum as this request exists.

                  • #11
                    (then again: bb’s internal sequencer can handle slices quite nicely ;-))

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X