No announcement yet.

My [blackbox] is unusable as a Midi Slave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In version 1.3.6 the MIDI sync is much tighter. Please check it out and let us know.

Comment

Aaron That's great to hear! I will try it out tonight or tomorrow when I have a fresh mind.

Thank you for this!

This is going to be awesome. I have a second BB on the way..

Comment

So interesting behavior for me so far.

Digitone Master
        BB MIDI Slave
        DFAM receive clock from BB

Digitone and DFAM are in perfect sync even though the BB is supplying clock from Digitone to the DFAM.

Going from 120 BPM to 60 BPM the BB makes less noise, hits less notes/beats, but takes about 2 (16 step) measures to sync up. Longer than before but not as noisy.

Going from 60 BPM to 120 the BB now takes 4 (16 step) measures to sync up.

So that means it takes the same amount of time I guess. 120bpm 4*16 is the same as 60bpm 2*16?

While looking at the sequence, it seems to lag/pause waiting to attempt to sync.

So while it is tighter, it takes longer and has a few off beat notes.

I am using a simple 4 on the floor 16 step sequence kick/snare on the BB.

If I change BPM on the fly (encoder) the DFAM follows without issue (BB supplying clock out from Digitone MIDI in).

Hope that helps with bug fixing.
        Last edited by selfup; 12-07-2019, 10:41 AM.

Comment

selfup Thanks for the test results. We were designing more for gradual tempo changes than what you demonstrated. For example, are you really going to suddenly double the tempo in your gig? How about a change of 20BPM over a few seconds?

I look forward to hearing what other people had in mind as well.

Comment

Aaron I am not expecting to do this either I was just testing the limits. I will test my typical 10-20 bpm change however.

I'll report back soon!

Thankfully the DFAM stays in sync and I could go to an empty sequence to keep a groove when switching and then get the BoomBaps/Samples from the blackbox once the tempo has run for a reasonable amount of time.

EDIT: Seems to handle 20BPM just fine.

Thanks for this great update!

I will go ahead and get rid of the unlisted video. At least we know the limits.
            Last edited by selfup; 12-07-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Aaron Being able to change tempo should not incur lag though. I can't think of any other midi device that I own that eases its way into a tempo change. Even a small jump takes a few beats which puts the BB out of sync with everything else.

Comment

KidYoshi Did you try the analog clock sync input on BB? The Pyramid can send clock from the env out, so it might be worth a try?

Comment

• KidYoshi
                  KidYoshi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I did and it works, it's just more convenient to send everything via Midi.

Originally posted by chrislux View Post
                Did anyone else observe Midi sync issues using Blackbox as Midi Slave by Midi in or USB? Any differences by Midi or USB? Latency?
                What about CPU Handling in Slave Mode? What about using both recording, triggering Samples and playing clips?

Thats the way I would use it, too.

I am still unsure as the Blackbox would have all I need. If Midi Clock Slave don`t work as expected its quiet useless for me.
                edit: you need to obey (a shitty) rule of your backing tracks must be a power of two. so if your backing track has only 511 bars length, bounce it to 512 bars (with 4 beats gap in the end). this worked for me! i run 1.4.0. and BB is time slave to octa. BB follows bpm changes instantaneously.
                Last edited by HeinzManne; 01-21-2020, 09:48 AM.

Comment

I want to use my new blackbox with the DENON DJ x1800 mixer. I have tested both inputs: over usb or MIDI TRS in port. The blackbox has none reaction. Selecting under clocksource usb port or MIDI port changes nothing.

My KORG volca kick works fine with the mixer and follow immediately any tempo changing.

I have tested firmware 1.3.6 and 1.4.0. Have any body an idea for an solution?

Comment

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Check your email. I responded with (I hope) the solution.

Same problem. Blackbox is connected to the pyramid via USB. Beginning at 60 seconds, the tempo begins to out of sync. Very unpleasant

Comment

• Evil Ocean
                    Evil Ocean commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I am also having issues with the BB. I have an A4, DT & DN synchronized within 30 samples of each other (24/48 @126BPM). When I add the BB drum layers to the DT & DN, the BB is 6ms (300-450 samples) behind. I'm only using the BB as sampler, not as sequencer. Everything else that is sequenced from the Elektron stuff is pretty close, even the MIDI to modular stuff. I am using mini MIDI, not USB, and I am using the higher amperage adaptor for the higher quality USB cable.

• Steve
                    Steve commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you playing Clips? Samples?

• Evil Ocean
                    Evil Ocean commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Still having the same issues as mentioned on 4.8.20. FW 1.6.5 leaves me with 5ms (248 samples) of delay. I am using single-shot samples.

Wow - I can't believe this is still an issue.

Comment

With regards to the MIDI clock not syncing at all, I have connected it to a Korg Electribe 2 and I have worked out what it is.

The Blackbox must receive a Start instruction from the Master device. Once it has received that, it works fine. I can stop the Electribe and the Blackbox still responds to tempo changes from the Electribe.

Note that the BPM on the Song screen never changes.
                    Last edited by Techno Mystic; 11-23-2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                      Steve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the number on the Song screen will only change from user/knob input.
                  Working...
                  X