Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRS-A VS TRS-B for MIDI

Few Question here, please.

is there any reason why you decided to use TRS-A for MIDI instead of the recently instituted industry-standard of TSR-B?
    Does the BB ship with a TRS-A to TRS-B twisted wire?
    Do you sell a TRS-A to TRS-B wire?

Regards, Rick

I keep wondering if there could be a software “switch” that lets you select the Korg or Arturia standard

Comment

I was wondering the same. It's not a big issue (I've got it hooked up to a midi thru box anyway), but it seems strange to deviate from the industry standard.

It doesn't ship with a twisted wired, but making your own is relatively simple with some (very) basic DIY.

Comment

When we decided on TRS-B, the industry standard did not exist. Please also realize that the standard calls for 2.5mm jacks and the bulk of the industry is using 3.5mm jacks. In other words, it continues to be a poorly defined mess.

The blackbox and all our modules ship with a TRS-B to MIDI 5-pin DIN adapter. You can use the adapter plus a 5-pin DIN cable to connect to whatever you like. If you have other gear with TRS-B, like the Novation Circuit, any 3.5mm TRS cable will connect them directly.

Comment

• pieter3d
          pieter3d commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, that makes perfect sense. Didn't know about 2.5mm jacks being the standard, weird choice.

Originally posted by Aaron View Post
        When we decided on TRS-B, the industry standard did not exist. Please also realize that the standard calls for 2.5mm jacks and the bulk of the industry is using 3.5mm jacks. In other words, it continues to be a poorly defined mess.

The blackbox and all our modules ship with a TRS-B to MIDI 5-pin DIN adapter. You can use the adapter plus a 5-pin DIN cable to connect to whatever you like. If you have other gear with TRS-B, like the Novation Circuit, any 3.5mm TRS cable will connect them directly.
        I can confirm that the Circuit works (almost) perfectly with a simple patch cable, so the clock, start/stop and program changes are sent. But I have an issue with the MIDI in/out for pads sequences, Aaron : they don't seem to send different "notes" for the different pads set as MIDI out. I tried recording a MIDI sequence from BB to Circuit for example on channel 10, and all I get is note C for all of them. Should be C1, D1, E1, F1 and so on.
        Last edited by adam.wise; 11-13-2019, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X