Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn on and Turn off the Blackbox !!

Hello everyone,
    I'm a bit scared because normally when you have and electronic gear, you can turn on and turn off the thing, here with black box, when you plug a usb cable to battery powerbank or plug into a wall, it turns on automatically, I don't see a problem because there is kind of an intro screen, but when you turn it off, it's brutal....it is normal ? is there a way I missed ? you cannot keep it plug on the wall plug because it will be turned on all night, you have to plug out every time ? ...help me I don't want to break my wonderful bb, thank you

I agree, it looks brutal, but that's how they did it so I guess there's nothing to worry about. I would prefer to power it on and off pressing a combination of buttons for convenience.

Comment

You haven't missed anything. We tend to leave ours running overnight just to give them the maximum possible use.

Comment

• DylanFree
        DylanFree commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you mean like, when you wake up from a dream with an amazing tune in ur head at 3:47am and the BB is all ready to go? : ) or for testing product longevity?

• adam.wise
        adam.wise commented
        Editing a comment
        DylanFree they sample snoring sounds to use as bass ))

An on off switch would be better.

Comment

I use this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/1620

Works great for me.

Comment

• scottmoon
          scottmoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Out of stock.

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Check Amazon. I found one there, too. Make sure it can handle 2A @ 5V and you are good!

FYI - Adafruit is in NY and are not working or shipping right now.

Another option is a simple power strip with on/off switch

Comment

• walkie
          walkie commented
          Editing a comment
          This is what I do. I have a power strip on top of my desk with some USB charging ports and an on/off switch in it. I just leave my Blackbox and a few other devices with no on/off switches (such as my KeyStep) plugged into that so I can turn them all on and off easily.

• pieter3d
          pieter3d commented
          Editing a comment
          This. I always have my entire setup on a single power strip with a switch.

TBH a switch does nothing more than cutting off the power, exactly like pulling the plug. It does not add any layer of safety, just improving practicality.

Assuming that there is no access to the SD card when turning the device off, otherwise you can corrupt the card if that happen.

Most computers of the past and current microcontroller not running something heavy like modern operating systems, are pretty efficient at not writing often on disk, so powering off the device by just removing the cable is totally fine.
        I would personally find convenient a switch; just because plugging in and out the cable ruin the connector housing in the back of the blackbox, or the usb receptacle (I usually leave most of my gear plugged in, and switch it on when needed)

Comment

I wonder if this is an issue with my bb only but when I unplug it, it sends a strong jolt into my speaker system It doesn't matter if i mute hp output in sw on the bb, so is this one of those devices that are like old school and you need to mute its channel before power cycle? should i first turn off my speakers??
        also if i connect it via a computer that is grounded trough a different socket than my mixer i get all kinds of "base", would love some advice on proper use.

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          best to connect to the same power circuit for all devices connected via audio. Otherwise, you will get a ground hum. There are also products out there for "lifting ground" on electronic devices. I have a master volume with MUTE for my studio. As a best practice - always mute audio to your speakers before plugging and unplugging.

I use this.... JBL NanoPatch+

Comment

good post to learn something mate

Comment

I use a Wireless Remote Kit that I got off of Amazon. I used Velcro strips to mount the switch under the front of my desk. Far enough back to be out of the way, yet accessible.

If you search for Woods 13569 13569WD Indoor Wireless Remote Kit​​​​​​​, you will see quite a few options.

Comment

I use a Schneider power strip with an on/off switch, my Strymon BigSKy does not have a power button either, all my Elektron boxes do but they are all connected to the same power strip so with one button everything is powered. (the Elektron boxes are turned on/off by their own power switches though)

Comment

Working...
              X