X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with acapellas

Hi.

Was hoping to get so guidance on this.

I would like an acapella clip to play in time with a drum loop (clip)

I've played with the sync settings, and they're on 1/16.

I've tried to trim the sample, to see if I can get it a bit more accurate that way, however no dice and it isn't in sync.

The acapella itself has a clap playing as well as the vox, so I thought it would be easier for the bb to find the tempo, however again it's not in sync

I've warped it in ableton, and it is perfectly warped there. But when putting it into the bb I'm way out.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or guidance on this please?

Are you setting the BPM on the BlackBox to the BPM of the clip as it shows in Ableton before you sample it?

Comment

• 76Rich
      76Rich commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm clocking the bb from the octatrack, would I still need to make that adjustment?

your problem might be sample rate. BB is native 48k, you might have your acapellas in 44k

Comment

• 76Rich
      76Rich commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, cool thanks. I will export it at those settings and see if that works. Cheers

Originally posted by Finnsblackbox View Post
    your problem might be sample rate. BB is native 48k, you might have your acapellas in 44k
    Well I exported at 48 and it's still completely out of sync.

Any other suggestions?
    Cheers

Comment

Just for experimentation I would try un-syncing it from your OT and try to just grab an 8bar loops manually to see if I could get a workable loop.
      Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Frequencies View Post
        Just for experimentation I would try un-syncing it from your OT and try to just grab an 8bar loops manually to see if I could get a workable loop.
        Good luck!
        Strangely - I decided to play around and see if there was any other way to get it syncd on the bb as I had some time to kill.

I switched the metronome on and it was in perfect sync, which led to some head scratching. I went into the pad and saw that it was on sample, and not clip.
        Fired the octatrack up and played a loop whilst sending the midi to bb and in clip mode it was still out of sync, however if I tap the play icon in sample, in time with the loop, I get it in perfect sync.
        ​​​​​​
        It's not a perfect solution, but it's a workaround for now. Hopefully when I'm playing live it'll work...

Comment

This seems like it wouldn't be too hard if BB had real timestretch, with the ability to slow down a sample without pitch changes without having to sync.

Comment

Sorry to bump, but if anyone has any suggestions it would be really handy. I've gone back into the project and now even the sample trigger workaround isn't working for me.

Thanks

Comment

I have been syncing my Microfreak via sync cable and been getting good recordings. Other sources I’ve just been doing manually also with good success. Have you tried syncing by pulse instead of midi?

Comment

I could give that a go, however I'm slaving from octatrack for a live set I'm building, so it wouldn't be something I'd be able to for every setting.

This is a real sticking point for me and I may have to return it if I can't find a solution to this issue. Which is something I really don't want to do as everything else is really fantastic.

Comment

I sync another sampler via midi out from the BlackBox and they are solid. I sample the output of the BB into the second sampler and loop the two devices, they stay in sync. I will try to sync a couple of other devices in a bit via midi DIN and let you know my experiences. Don’t give up yet, I’m sure the BB people will get back to you. Also, someone out there has to have your setup and can test it out hopefully.

Comment

• 76Rich
                    76Rich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Cool mate. Let me know your results. Maybe I need to clock from the bb. That wouldn't be an issue in all honesty, unless there's some reason it won't send clock/transport!
                    Yeah it does seem well supported and its not even a year old yet, so I'm sure it will be a totally different machine this time next year.

Since you are using Ableton already, I recommend using it to build a properly timed and trimmed loop using the warp markers. Then use the export functionality to take the resulting loop and put that into blackbox.

Comment

• 76Rich
                    76Rich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Aaron. That's actually what I did and the results are not great.

• 76Rich
                    76Rich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    By way of an update - I have rewarped and trimmed in ableton, exported and imported the als and the audio back into the bb and its still playing too fast and nowhere near being in sync.

Thanks.
                    Last edited by 76Rich; 01-21-2020, 12:52 PM. Reason: I was going to upload a video but it's too much of a faff to try to do.

Is the accapella clip heaps slower than the drum loop? That may be why it's having trouble syncing them.

You could always use the Slicer on one of them and program the notes into a sequencer, then everything will be tight.

Comment

• 76Rich
                    76Rich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Dan. The clip is around 125bpm, and the drum clip is around 120bpm, so not that much of a difference.

I'm wondering if the als file from ableton would help

Ok, let's go through it step by step.

1. Make a new preset
                  2. Load the accapella sample and set it to Clip mode.
                  3. Press the info button and navigate to the Misc tab. Set the BeatCount to the appropriate amount
                  4. Go to the Song page and set the preset tempo to 125 bpm (same tempo as the accapella)
                  5. Press the play button and tap the corresponding cell to trigger the accapella

If the sample is properly trimmed, it should be looping perfectly at 125bpm.

Repeat steps 2-3 for the drum loop, then tap the corresponding cell and both samples should be looping in sync.

Adjust the sync division for each sample if it's still sounding weird.
                  Last edited by Dan; 01-22-2020, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• 76Rich
                    76Rich commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi Dan, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I've actually done this several times, and am very sure that it's not working.

The loop is perfectly warped in ableton. And I am slaving the bb from the octatrack mk2.

I have tried the loop with different warp types and tried the loop as a 'double time' loop as well, and it isn't syncing. I have trimmed the loop to see if that would help, but again no dice.

I've tried the other way around (bb as master) and no changes there.

I'm competent enough to know that other loops and acapellas I have imported are in sync- vocals, synths, breaks etc. It really is just this one sample.

Thanks

• Dan
                    Dan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh, well then that is really strange behaviour. Not sure what it could be.. I've come across the odd sample here and there that does sound very different to how it should. I'd be interested to see a video if you can be bothered.

It happened to me, I recorded a freestyle from youtube (smartphone to BB), i put the blackbox at the same bpm (111). Then when i switched from sample to clip it was un-sync (i actually didn't try yet to record directly in clip mode). So i resample the freestyle sample to clip directly in the BB with a define lenght, and now it's perfectly sync with timestretch. No ableton needed.
                  Maybe try to sample your acapella from ableton in BB, and resample it in clip mode ? let me know if it's work

Comment

Working...
                  X