Sample banks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sample banks.

Is there an option for multiple sound banks?

can you elaborate what you want?

Comment

I’m also wondering what you mean by ‘sample banks’?

I’ve got a BlackBox, it has all my samples on it, and they are all available at any time for my project. Are you ya ing a storage issue?

Comment

The device has 1 bank of 16 WAV files. I was hoping to see if there was an option to switch between multiple sound banks.
        the SP404SX has 10 sound banks, the MPC Live has 8 banks or something to play from.

Comment

Originally posted by Vosene View Post
          The device has 1 bank of 16 WAV files. I was hoping to see if there was an option to switch between multiple sound banks.
          the SP404SX has 10 sound banks, the MPC Live has 8 banks or something to play from.
          hi 1010blackbox people, newbie here. I was about to ask/post the same. Roland SP-555 user looking for something portable & smaller. The 555 has 16 pads, 10 banks = 160 possible sounds for immediate access. Why only 1 bank of 16 sounds on the blackbox? I was about to pull the trigger until I found out about this. cheers

Comment

I do not believe there is a way currently to change/add banks on a song.
            One way around this is if you place all of the samples you want into a single folder. From there you can "Load All" samples from the folder and have all the samples you want on the piano roll "Keys" section. Not a perfect fix but it is definitely a way to have more than the 16 WAV files.

I am unsure of how many samples can be loaded at once though

Comment

Bump.

Yeah, I just bought this and realized there's only 1 bank with the 16 pads (samples) and you can't change banks like an MPC and SP...any fix to this? I bought this to play live and the pads work great to trigger clips and sample loops but only 16 pad sounds???

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                It is not broken. However, you can use a more recent firmware and send MIDI PGM Change to change presets.

don't forget about the multisample "hack", folks.
              This can get you well beyond 16 samples per PSET.
              e.g. - I have a folder "hh 1-4" that contains 4 high hat sounds. Instead of loading each HH into it's own pad, I load the entire folder into 1 pad. Then I use keyboard mode on that pad to play the HH pattern I want. 4 sounds, 1 pad.
              you can do the same thing with all sorts of 1shots.
              depending on your polyphony setting you can get choke-like behavior within the pad. Mono polyphony is especially helpful on the HH implementation, imho.
              The thing to watch out for is that your FX apply to that pad.
              Also, wherever the root note is, C4?, any note lower than that will be the first sample in the folder pitched down, down, down, and anything higher on the keyboard than the last sample in the folder with be that last sample pitched up, up up....

Comment

• Georges
                Georges commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice catch, in particular the mono voice workaround for producing a HH mute group! I was actually wondering how to do this with the blackbox the other day :-) Just amazing how far blackbox’s limits push your creativity to bend or even break them.

Other ways to render one-shot pads more efficient:

1) combine your one-shot sample pads into a single sequence of samples, resample the sequence into a single pad then load the new sample into a new pad with slice mode, remove the old pads - this works well for drums (parts) and if you use this for regular sounds, know that polyphony is limited to two voices in this mode and that you should also include the samples for the note pitches that you intend to play;

2) just load the samples you wish to play, record your performance as a clip or a sequence, resample and reload that performance as clip or slice. Remove the old pads.

Obviously, these are workarounds and not the real sample synth player deal, but they do work thanks to the bb’s accessible interface.

Comment

• shankiphonic
                shankiphonic commented
                Editing a comment
                A sequence of 1-shots is another very good idea.

Meh, of all the updates we could bring to the blackbox multiple banks doesn't strike me as the most pressing. you've got 16 stereo samples, any of which can be multisamples. Seems like plenty of room to me

Comment

Originally posted by DanielMulholland View Post
                Meh, of all the updates we could bring to the blackbox multiple banks doesn't strike me as the most pressing. you've got 16 stereo samples, any of which can be multisamples. Seems like plenty of room to me
                ok, but what’s stopping 1010 adding banks to expand to 32 or 64 pads, it’s a software update thing, doesn’t need to alter the hardware, no?
                Sorry to all the coders out there to refer to this as a “thing”
                cheers

Comment

Yes, I was looking into this as well. I am an ambient artists that plays with a lot of field recordings, I can't be limited to just 16. On my SP404 I have so many. SP404, individual samples can't be mapped to midi and therefore volume controlled, I would like faders on my samples. Blackbox seemed interesting that you could midi map the samples, but only 16? hm. no thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzylogic View Post
                    Yes, I was looking into this as well. I am an ambient artists that plays with a lot of field recordings, I can't be limited to just 16. On my SP404 I have so many. SP404, individual samples can't be mapped to midi and therefore volume controlled, I would like faders on my samples. Blackbox seemed interesting that you could midi map the samples, but only 16? hm. no thanks.
                    Each pad can contain 64 individual samples (mapped as a multisample) per pad, up to 80 per preset. it's really not a hard 16 pad limit (albeit not the most elegant workaround to always implement)

Comment

Don’t forget you can use MIDI PGM Change. Create multiple presets if needed. Presets change & loading time only depends on your content.

Comment

• shankiphonic
                        shankiphonic commented
                        Editing a comment
                        feels like we've gone down an "all things to all men" rabbit hole...

So I've finally taken the plunge and bought one, as well as a faderfox ec4 to midi map.

Does anyone have a link, or can talk me through how to midi map things like volume and panning to the different 'pads' on the black box.

Also my understanding, is that the blackbox can store more than 16 samples, as it is stored in the sd card, you can swap the samples in and out relatively easily. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you are not stuck with 16 samples only during a live performance, only 16 samples at the one time.

Comment

• Steve
                        Steve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Check out our youtube channel for videos on this topic (and more).
                    Working...
                    X