Boss RC-3 Loop Station and Blackbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss RC-3 Loop Station and Blackbox

Hi all, I’m primarily a guitarist but I’ve just purchased a new Blackbox I’m also interested in getting a Boss RC-3 Loop Station for recording samples of electric guitar. Has anyone ever transferred guitar recordings from a Boss RC-3 to something like the Blackbox? I also like the idea of transferring beats and samples from the BB to the Boss. Is there any reason why this shouldn’t work? The aux in jack on the Boss is also handy for sending stuff from my PO-33 KO! Previously I was thinking of getting a Strymon Iridium or helix stomp to slap at the end of my pedal chain to record direct into BB but that just seemed an expensive option. Any help or tips greatly appreciated!

You could just route your RC-3 to the input of the BB to record it. It can do quantized recordings, say one bar, and play it back after the loop finished. Overdubbing is quite limited due to the fact that you always have to pick an empty pad for the next layer. So for looping it's great, live overdubbing is a bit complicated. I use a guitar looper to create a nice part then live loop/record it into the BB. Let the BB take over the main playback an create a new part with the guitar looper. But the fun part begins when I add extra sounds over the BB.

Comment

Drantum thank you for your response would I still need to use a preamp or amp cab simulator if I went straight from the rc-3 to BB? I do have own a line 6 AMPLIFi that has basic amp modelling that I could use.

Comment

• Drantum
        Drantum commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess you won't need a preamp between the RC-3 and the BB. The input gain can be adjusted in the BB. But Amp modelling is another thing. If you want a special amp modelled guitar sound or any other effect than the internal delay or reverb of the BB itself you would traditionally plug your guitar into an external effect (i.e. a guitar pedal) then into the RC-3 and from there into the BB. But in the end it depends on your needs. I think you could plug the external effect box anywhere in the chain to achieve slightly different sounding results and flexibility. Just be creative. Plug, Try, Listen, Re-plug.

I can relate to your dilemma, here’s my 2 cents: I personally use the Strymon Iridium directly into BB (iridium has a 3.5mm stereo headphone output on the front) And it’s amazing in every way. My amps and cabs are now cozy in the back of my closet lol. I wouldn’t bother with a looper pedal if you’re using BB, I’ve gone back and fourth to find a practical use for my various loopers, aside from the extra steps and such, looper pedals (especially Boss) aren’t generally known for their high quality audio, usually 16bit and pretty flat and stale sounding. I think you’ll find that it’s at the very least redundant, and you’ll likely end up recoding into BB anyway. The fact that BB can record in real-time, and with record quantize, you can easily hit the record button and be already playing the lead-in when the recording begins and ends on its own, all while your song doesn’t miss a beat. That’s why I love BB!

Comment

Awesome responses thank you! I’ll have a long hard think about the Iridium, there’s always the helix stomp too

Comment

Was thinking could I just use my regular overdrive into the bb, nothing else? has anyone else tried this with decent results?

Comment

• BOXturtle
            BOXturtle commented
            Editing a comment
            Technical reasons (level/impedance mismatch) aside, you’ll find that it sounds dull and thin. You’re not going to hurt anything by trying, but I doubt you’ll be totally satisfied. Of course listening is subjective, so we all have different goals/expectations. Ideally you would run your overdrive into a DI box, into a mic preamp, then take that signal into BB.

Originally posted by Slowhead View Post
          ... has anyone else tried this with decent results?
          Hello! Any luck with the guitar recording? What did you end up using?

Comment

Suspect Frequencies , I’ve not tried just my overdrive but a friend has lent me his Donner Juicer pedal which is a Fender Twin/Orange AD-30 Amp + Cab Sim, I also need to order a cable to go from the pedal into the BB. Will see how this fairs.
            I so want a Strymon Iridium as a desktop/pedalboard/headphone amp solution. One thing I did do today was connect up my BB up to my Line 6 AMPLIFi digital amp just listen without headphones and it didn’t sound that good sounded a bit distorted. I went from the headphone out of BB into Aux in of my amp. Maybe I’m doing something wrong? or maybe I need some proper monitor speakers?

Comment

Originally posted by BOXturtle View Post
              The fact that BB can record in real-time, and with record quantize, you can easily hit the record button and be already playing the lead-in when the recording begins and ends on its own, all while your song doesn’t miss a beat. That’s why I love BB!
              Can you explain a little more what you mean here? I'm interested in playing guitar live into the BB too.

Comment

Working...
              X