DIY blackbox Sequence Launcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY blackbox Sequence Launcher

I built a simple 4x4 pad sequence and sample launcher for the blackbox, here's a link to the code and a mini tutorial on how to build one if you're interested. It's made with a NeoTrellis driver board, Feather M4 microcontroller, acryclic case, running CircuitPython.

This version involves a tiny bit of soldering, but I plan to also make a version for the NeoTrellis M4 which is 8x4 and a self-contained unit with no wiring necessary.

So well done! And thank you for the mini tutorial.

Comment

• JohnPark
      JohnPark commented
      Editing a comment
      Very welcome. I just got it working on the 8x4 grid NeoTrellis M4, with the left 16 for sample pads and the right 16 for sequence triggers. I'll optimize things a bit and post the code soon.

Great! Would be so cool, if the blackbox would send midi notes on activating/deactivating pads/sequences to make the controllers lights could respond and stay always in sync.
    Some commercial controllers support that too, like novation launchpad.

Comment

• JohnPark
      JohnPark commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree -- I'm going to chat with Aaron and Christine about this to see what's possible.

I've added code and instructions for making a 32 pad NeoTrellis M4 version that has 16 sample pads and 16 sequence launchers available at the same time.

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for sharing this.

I am very interested in this Neotrellis controller M4, but i have really no experiences in using Arduino / codes and so on...

However the link to the code and a mini tutorial seems very detailed and helpful, nothing complicated at first sight but do you think it is afordable for such a newbie as i am ?

Thank your for this shareonce again by the way.

Comment

Hi EaSir, very welcome. I created this project using CircuitPython, which I think is a bit easier to use at first than Arduino (you can code the NeoTrellis M4 with either).
        Here's a good tutorial for getting started.

Comment

NeoTrellis well received / Mounted and configured... that was such a easy step with your tutorial and CircuitPython... Very nice project and device and very happy with a very limited budget that is perfect.

One question by the way, i've noticed a drop in the sample volume level when i play any samples with the neo trellis. With the BB touchscreen the sound is at normal level. it looks like there is a volume limitation with the contrĂ´ler... any clue about this?

Comment

That's great to hear EaSir_11 thanks for letting me know. Sorry about the output level thing -- I bet I specified 64 as the velocity in the NoteOn messages. It should be 127 to be full volume. I'll update the repo. Good catch!

Comment

Updated both variants to 127 velocity.

Comment

Great, i'll try to update it during the weekend. Thx for the support !

Comment

I bought on of the neotrellis m4 with 32 pads and believe me this is fire with the BB

Gonna grab another for midi only and highly recommend these

m

Comment

I too own the NeoTrellis M4. I freakin' love it. It's the best pal for the Blackbox in my situation. I bought the kit, followed the instructions to build it, then I added the midi firmware, and was done. Connected to the Blackbox and that was it. I'll update the firmware in a few to have the full volume as well.
                    Last edited by satu87121; 02-25-2020, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• JohnPark
                      JohnPark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's great, glad it's working well for you!

Hey John, I hope you are well.
                    Very nice project, I got it working and running no problems.
                    What is the latest on the LED status changes? What would make things easier was if the NeoTrellis resets leds upon pattern changes of the blackbox. no idea if the blackbox can send out information that a pattern change is initiated?

Thanks a lot for your time you put into this! much appreciated!

Comment

• JohnPark
                      JohnPark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Right on, glad to hear it. I've chatted with Aaron about possible ways to enable bidirectional data to keep LEDs in sync with changes on the blackbox -- we looked at Launchpad as a good example of this, and they have detailed info in their developer docs on this. Essentially, the way a Launchpad stays in sync with something like Ableton is that when you change something in Ableton it sends a MIDI message to the Launchpad with instructions on changing the LEDs. If Aaron can implement that on BB for Launchpad we think it'll be possible to use the same mechanism on the NeoTrellis and NeoTrellisM4.

• Painting Silence
                      Painting Silence commented
                      Editing a comment
                      that sounds fantastic. excited to see whats possible. for the time being I have modified your code so the sequence launcher of the NeoTrellis does not change leds (it's the same as the keys launcher section now, just with a different color.) I hope the ball gets rolling, this feature would be really nice to implement. thanks for the efforts!!
                  Working...
                  X