Best buddy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best buddy?

Curious what you guys & gals find the best companion for the BB. What synth/sound source do you use most or works the best with BB? (And what kind of music do you make while using them?)

I'm using bass and guitar through pedals (Zoom B1 Four / G1 Four) to create clips with BB, and libraries from Native Instruments that i multisampled in BB for instruments and drum kits (controlled by keystep). For the moment i don't have a other ''physical'' companion, i'm hesitate with the Novation Circuit (for sounds and controls) or go for the new Launchpad Pro mk3 for a great control of my BB.

And i like doing funky groovy things with electronic music element (ambient/house) and i love ethnic percs
    Last edited by magicwill; 02-20-2020, 09:10 PM.

Comment

the reason I bought the BB is to set up a DAWless way to make music. At the moment I can't say which source is the best since I got BB just a couple of days. Im using BB with an Roland MC-303, Behringer Neutron, soon I'll receive the Behringer 303 clone, and Im about to buy Moog DFAM. I think any modular or semi-modular is a good companion for BB, cuz BB is able to record CV which is great for those synths that have no storage ability.

Midi-controller I use Launchcontrol XL and arturia key step.

Im trying to create electronic music, techno and weird sounds

Comment

I'm also using the BB in a DAWless setup, and it's the reason I bought one. But if I had to pick just one thing to go with it, I'd pick a turntable. Second choice would be Vocaloid. That said, I mostly use synths in practise and don't sample records much these days, but I'm thinking about the most I can get that isn't available in sample libraries.

Comment

The ones I most use in conjunction with the BB are:
          - Faderfox LD2,
          - norddrum2
          and for live shows, I add a VLZ4 802.

Genre depends on the project...
          (as Michal Ho, i make house/techno/electro, on the side I throw down neo-jungle tunes and rock songs, and I also have an ambitious duo/band that goes from gothrock to discopunk and psytrap)

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchizoid View Post
            the reason I bought the BB is to set up a DAWless way to make music. At the moment I can't say which source is the best since I got BB just a couple of days. Im using BB with an Roland MC-303, Behringer Neutron, soon I'll receive the Behringer 303 clone, and Im about to buy Moog DFAM. I think any modular or semi-modular is a good companion for BB, cuz BB is able to record CV which is great for those synths that have no storage ability.

Midi-controller I use Launchcontrol XL and arturia key step.

Im trying to create electronic music, techno and weird sounds
            Nice!

First post here on 1010. Bought a used BB just a few hours ago... to go DAW-less as well. I`ll have it in my hands Friday...

Yeah; I heard it pairs really well with the DFAM! Think I saw a great YT vid of it...

Me too; weird sounds (as in: noise, drones, field recordings of electromagnetic transmissions, etc...).

PS: I wonder if the BB works with `any `of the Faderfox controllers?

Comment

Any synth/sound source as it is just that. The rest is based on your creativity. The BB just records it.

Comment

Originally posted by panspOrmia View Post

PS: I wonder if the BB works with `any `of the Faderfox controllers?
                With all of them!

Comment

If you’re a guitarist, I can’t say enough about the Strymon Iridium! Recording electric guitar (as well as synths and stuff) through the Iridium into BB is just perfect!

Comment

I have an MPD for when I want pads, and I have a Arturia key step when I want keys. Both are handy when I want to feel something out. But they’re not really necessary since you can do almost all the same stuff on the BB (note repeat on the MPD is helpful).
                    a power bank is essential. I picked up the $100 one from the Apple store and it works great. Make beats on the couch. Also multi-sampled instruments are fun to download from online sources, or make your own.

Comment

I use a adafruit NeoTrellis M4 and just the Blackbox connected to small stereo Bose speaker that is battery powered. I did import a ton of samples into a 128gb card. I make 60's 70's funk, some boom bap (old school) hip hop, disco, and EDM style (big drops) dance music. I do it for my own soul, and to make my kids dance, and purely out of curiosity.

Comment

more odd couple than best buddy
                        have mine linked up to an Ensoniq ASRX, old school punch & warmth, resonant filters, ok pads, in-depth sample and synthesis manipulation, a versatile and deep effects engine for live instruments or just bouncing around samples.
                        The bb picks up the slack on the sequencing and file management, both of which are shortfalls on the ASRX.
                        They can still be picked up pretty cheap but people are starting to catch on
                        the idea of the mixing up old and new, kind of like an old quality prime lens on a digital camera body always appeals

Comment

My BB is very happily integrated into my dawless set up. When I want to start a new tune I tend just just use BB with a Novation Circuit as they work very nicely together; with the audio from the circuit going through the input of the BB all I need is a pair of headphones and all battery powered.

John

Comment

For me, it's my Tascam DR-05 digital recorder. I record everything from the atmosphere in an office to the sound of broken bathroom fans, coffee machines, office scanners and even my own voice. That usually gets mangled in the BB, resampled and either saved until later or if inspiration is striking gets me going on an idea.
                            Traces by My Blue Extremes. Name your price on Bandcamp or listen on all streaming platforms.

Bandcamp
                            https://myblueextremes.bandcamp.com/album/traces

Streaming
                            https://distrokid.com/hyperfollow/my...AItZJ5KNfs9wf8

Comment

Originally posted by Michal Ho View Post
                              The ones I most use in conjunction with the BB are:
                              - Faderfox LD2,
                              - norddrum2
                              and for live shows, I add a VLZ4 802.

Genre depends on the project...
                              (as Michal Ho, i make house/techno/electro, on the side I throw down neo-jungle tunes and rock songs, and I also have an ambitious duo/band that goes from gothrock to discopunk and psytrap)
                              I just bought (and received) the BB, and I also just ordered a used Faderfox LC2 for Ableton (ETA: 1 week). Do you think the FF will work with BB?
                              Last edited by panspOrmia; 02-22-2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Michal Ho
                                Michal Ho commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Yes, using the ‚learn MIDI CC’ function on BB. They play together nicely.
                            Working...
                            X