This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernotron View Post
    whats the maximum capacity allowed for the sd card please? how do I load pads?
    I have successfully used a 1TB card. One of my regular cards for capturing is 512GB. Both work well. Make sure to use a reliable formatting tool. SD Card Formatter is a great option - and free!

Touch Pad > Touch Load (upper right) > Touch Load on selected WAV

Comment

Hi Steve,
      Is there any benefit from UHS-II cards? I am currently using a Sandisk Extreme, but I am wondering if the Blackbox can take advantage of the UHS-II speeds on some of the higher speed cards.

Comment

• Steve
        Steve commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't believe you will see a noticeable difference by using a UHS-II card - on the blackbox. We did just open up the access speed for our devices to better facilitate the streaming of larger (or more) samples, simultaneously. I see the best overall performance from cards with an 'A1' or 'A2' designation.

I added the Kingston Canvas Select Plus microSD to this list. This card is the stock card for bitbox mk2 and bitbox micro. The outcome of testing this new card is in line with my experiences with 'A' rated cards. This card didn't stutter or even hiccup once. Absolutely zero issues recording, playing, and syncing all 16 pads.

Comment

HI STEVE Do you format the card even when it is new.
        I VE just bought the pro 128 gb version.

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Always. In fact, I have acquired a new habit of formatting regularly - once monthly.

Ok I will do that

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          I might be overdoing it but I'd rather be safe.

Steve Formatting regularly does not speak in favour of blackbox’s file system, have you actually observed any strange streaming behaviour absent such abundant formatting, or is it just a prudent habit of your’s?

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          It is more of a prudent habit. I don't think you need to reformat until you see issues. But I work every day with my 1010 devices and I have roughly 10 cards that I swap (for various reasons). So for me, it is easier to stay on top of formatting.

also, when formatting does present an issue, it can be time-consuming to track it down. Those are the most frustrating issues for us to solve.

After a pair of months having the sandisk pro 128gb A2 and followed all the istructions about formatting on this thread I can say that working with just a multisample piano with reverber it is a little better then before but not glitches free.
        I hope for a new update to improve the performances.
        This box deserve a better support in terms of stability more then new futures.

Comment

• particlesintowaves
          particlesintowaves commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm using an A1 SanDisk card with the multi-sample piano presets and it works great for me.

If it helps anyone, I've got this card in 256gb, A1 rated performance. I just tested it with 16 loops playing at once and there were no hiccups.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

SanDisk Ultra 200GB MicroSDXC works good for me. It's around 24 Euro in Germany.

Comment

Just tested two cards. Both with similar specs. Lexar Professional 667X 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-I/U3 and Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB

I tried formatting the Lexar with multiple tools in a variety of exFAT / FAT32 formats and only got it to work once and it eventually crashed.

So far, the Sandisk Extreme Pro 64 GB has done great with everything I've thrown at it. I used it directly out of the box without any formatting. It seems noticeably more reliable than the stock card that came with the device, but I have not done any tests to confirm that yet.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              The stock card is only meant to deliver content and get you started. You should not expect it to perform at the highest level.

I'm curious - which software do you use for formatting?

I went to the store yesterday to get a new card, but I was sorta confused. The Kingston card I found has a U symbol and an A symbol. Click image for larger version

Name:	SDCard32K-xlarge.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	318.3 KB
ID:	18607

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              it can have both. the 'A' rating is meant for devices that stream large amounts of data - apps, audio, etc.

• nuemerik
              nuemerik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you Steve for clearing that up. I knew it was the most recommended one, but the packaging threw me off. I'll go grab a nice 128gb first thing in the morning

Wow this is incredibly helpful - thanks Steve and everyone else for sharing!

Comment

Not sure if it’s the same on other countries but the SanDisk Xtreme Pro 1TB is offered @ a very known online retailer for a very big discount to 199€ !

Though it’s still expensive, I have never seen this model for lower than 300€.

Currently I’m using a SanDisk 400GB A1 card and it’s basically my sample base be it for the Blackbox or other sample based instruments or even on computer/iPad DAW workflows.

Needless to say I just ordered the 1TB one

Comment

Just to confirm that 1TB Sandisk Extreme Pro works flawlessly with the Blackbox.

Now I need to do some sample library management

Comment

Working...
                X