• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackbox 1.5 beta feedback

Please let us know how the new version worked for you:
    https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...5-beta-version

Thank you very much.

Didn’t even know there was a new version. I’ll check it out tonight! Excited.

Comment

Thx a lot Aaron for this. Haven't tried yet but I am sure this will encourage me to use solely bbox for my sample stuff!!!
      One question. How do the program changes work now? Do they operate alphabetically in the presets folder?

Comment

• Aaron
        Aaron commented
        Editing a comment
        They work the same as before. Incoming program changes will select the presets in alphabetical order. Try putting a number at the beginning of the name for easy access.

Just made a quick beat and very impressed. Has a few bugs but overall a genius move. My only request is that the pack includes the stems of the sequence as a full wave. So for example, if the 4 bar sequence has a high hat pattern that loops for the whole 4 bars uniquely that 4 bar high hat wave gets packed individually. This would be a game changer for producers who use the black box as a sketch pad. I for one bought the Blackbox but still go back to the daw for all applications because I’m a mix engineer. In the protools world we call this sharing “stems.”

as far as bugs. Previous presets which have larger files don’t seem to Pack right. Got an error twice trying to “Pack” a preset with a couple of multi-sampled instruments. My hunch is there’s going to be a ram or some type of memory limit because multi samples on odd take a lot to pack as it’s currently set up.

on a positive note, the little 5 minute beat I made packed perfectly and looks great on the memory card. I put the memory in my computer and now can share the “Pack” with anyone via file sharing. Very big and important move, thank thank you.

also, pads heavily loaded seem to give the menu pads lighting issues. Pads, keys, seq, song... had fading issues with handling some of my previous presets. Not a biggie tbh.

Comment

• Christine
        Christine commented
        Editing a comment
        How much space is left on your microSD card?

• robertdryer
        robertdryer commented
        Editing a comment
        Christine it’s 128 gig card and as far as I know it has like 100 left. But if you DM me an email I can send videos to whomever would like to see me generate the bugs.

Really great to see the discussed organization optimization topics implemented ! Thanks for this update and also for looking into and documenting all the detailed aspects of it !
      I will soon try out the beta and give feedback.
      I think i will even start with a fresh SD just containing my usual sample library, so i have all the tidy new structure from now on.
      Looking forward to be able to create multisamples now on the BB stand-alone.
      Also the path is now clear to share complete BB presets!

Comment

Thanks for the Update! So far I tried packing some old Psets.

There are some package errors occurring sometimes. I am not sure, but there could be renamed or erased samples in my old PSETs.
        It creates an empty folder in /presets.
        Anyone noticed that?

No way to erase folders, right?

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          The first time you open a previous preset in this new file system, the blackbox will move it to a folder (with its name) and the preset file will live there. Only after you pack should you expect to see all of the wav files in that folder.

There seems to also be a change with autoloading a preset at power-up. I don't know if it came with 1.5, but i havent recognized before.
        In the 1.4.3. manual
        >When you turn on blackbox, it automatically loads the first preset in the list alphabetically

It now seems to load the last one that was loaded before power off. That's correct ?

Another small thing i noticed is that if you have a preset loaded, make changes to it (without saving), you cannot again load it, if you just wanted to discard the changes (ok, you could workaround by switching BB off or loading another arbitray pset and then the one again ...)

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Both of these observations are true. I will update the firmware faq.

When powering on, the blackbox will load the last used preset.

"Load" is not available on the currently loaded preset. Yes, this creates an extra step if you are simply trying to refresh that preset. However, it is a definite (and the only) way to know/see the preset currently loaded. Adding an extra step here also (potentially) slows down the possibility of dumping unsaved changes.

Haven’t tried yet because currently far away from my BB.

I read the documentation though and it looks very clear.

I like the paradigm chosen (much of it in phase from the dedicated forum thread). It gives much needed structure to the presets while keeping freedom for the library.

At the occasion, it now looks like we can actually create multi-sample folders to use in other presets. Which is a very good start to one of my other suggestions (build-in multi-sample record assistant).

I believe now the presets are structured into their own folder, this open possibilities for other features, such as separating MIDI-learned device mappings to different xml file for reuse, exporting preset stems and many other features for which the prerequisite was to have a minimum of structure in the file system.

Comment

Multisampling with the BB and no computer is now possible an working great.
          I made a quick tutorial video over here:

https://youtu.be/IAbE2qWIQF0

Comment

• robertdryer
            robertdryer commented
            Editing a comment
            Great job!

• jonnnnny
            jonnnnny commented
            Editing a comment
            This is great!

• Complomu
            Complomu commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you Zapman

Zapman

Right, last edited preset gets loaded after power off. Fine for me.

Comment

Seems all good so far! I just discovered a new funky feature, try packing while playing back..

Comment

• dhocks76
              dhocks76 commented
              Editing a comment
              it drops into a weird 8th note stutter effect.. kinda fun.

• jayneural
              jayneural commented
              Editing a comment
              Haha stutter FX, how long I’ve been waiting for it ! LOL

• Christine
              Christine commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL!! I guess we missed a test case. That's why we need your help to test the beta. Thanks for the feedback.

Packing error at nearly every old PSet. If there are deleted files at the old PSET.
            Last edited by chrislux; 03-12-2020, 07:45 AM.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              How much free space is on your microSD?

• chrislux
              chrislux commented
              Editing a comment
              There is enough free space. It works if I delete the files that can not be found. I did change my libary once...

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting....thanks for the report!

Pack will generate an error if you have any dead links in your preset. We thought this would be a good way to let you know.

Comment

after loading / saving a preset it migrates the preset to a folder, however a (similarly named) .als file stays behind in the root. Do you still need that? Can I trash it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zapman View Post
                Multisampling with the BB and no computer is now possible an working great.
                I made a quick tutorial video over here:

https://youtu.be/IAbE2qWIQF0
                Thx for the tutorial!

Comment

Working...
                X