Guitar + Helix Stomp into Black Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar + Helix Stomp into Black Box

Before I take the plunge does anyone else here use a Helix Stomp for recording guitars into the bb? Should this be enough considering it has amp and cab sims pre-amps etc. Also would I just use the headphone out from stomp to record into the black box?

It should work. I don't have one of those pedals but I have plugged a lot of different devices into my blackbox for sampling/recording.

The blackbox also gives you control over input gain so you should be ok.

Comment

I use a Zoom multi effects pedal with no issues into the BlackBox. If it makes sound and outputs through a cable you should be good.

Comment

I use the Strymon Iridium’s 3.5mm headphone output directly into BB all the time. The level and impedance match is pretty adequate. Plus the Iridium’s “room” (reverb) is stereo so I can record that. However, as with any instrument’s line/headphone output signal, it will always benefit (especially as the mix begins to fill out) when the signal is routed through a decent DI and mic pre then into BB.

Comment

Thanks all for your responses, could I also use the output on helix stomp? there are 2x outputs labelled BAL/UNBAL L/Mono and Right. Or is the headphone out enough? I need a cable now so is a mono 1/4” to 3.5mm jack all I need? Sorry for all the questions.

Comment

Headphone out will work fine. Use a normal trs 3.5mm stereo cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Suspect Frequencies View Post
              Headphone out will work fine. Use a normal trs 3.5mm stereo cable.
              Hi Suspect Frequencies thank you for your reply, headphone out on the helix stomp is a 1/4" jack out so which out of these two would work? thanks again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RLZ9T...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.co.uk/designacabl...Z5MTQ0DK4JAS85

Comment

You would want the first one, TRS to TRS. That will be a left/right signal out of the Helix to left/right into the BlackBox.
                the second one would take the Mono/L (1/4inch) out of the Helix and double or mirror the signal into a left/right into the BB.
                I would suggest the first as it should preserve any stereo effects the Helix is creating.

Comment

Helix Stomp into the BB is incredible.. just to say thank you all for your advice. The amp and cab sims into the bb sound excellent. I’m now looking at a synth like a Reface CS or DX can anyone recommend a decent starter synth that pairs well with the BB?

Comment

Too many to recommend just one! The Yamahas are nice, beware of the tiny mini keys, I’ve tried one in the store when you used to be able to go places and do things. They feel really cheap/unsatisfying much like my Arturia MicroBrute. Not a deal breaker since I’m not very good at keys/piano but something to consider.

I also have a full size, semi-weighted midi keyboard I can play my synths with so that helps. The little Korg Volca synths are nice, but you’d want a small 25 key midi keyboard to go with it. The Modal Craft synth sounds awesome (I have the Modal Skupt), the Behringer semi modular synths would be fun and can be sequences by the BlackBox. The Arturia Micro Freak is only $20-30 more than Yamahas you are looking at. I enjoy it’s ribbon type keybed. The Behringer MS-1 gets good reviews for its sounds.

Determining whether you want monophonic or polyphonic is important. Also, if you have iPhone/iPad there is obviously a whole world of great sounding synths. If you have a Daw, then the addition of some soft-synths and a small midi keyboard could be a great option. Add a $100 basic audio/midi interface and you can have the BB syncing and jiving with it for sampling, synthing, external effects.

If you don’t have a Daw, the intro Ableton Live can be had for around a hundred bucks. There are free Daws as well. Many small affordable midi keyboards come with a basic version of Live, in addition to sample packs and soft synths that you could use to feed your BlackBox and make your own multi sample instruments.

Comment

• Steve J
                      Steve J commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Tell me more about the Modal Craft.....I can't stop looking at that device!! Everything I have heard is amazing. Have you played with one?
                  Working...
                  X