Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finishing a song on a Daw

Hi

Once you have a bunch of finished sequences that gel together nicely what’s your process to get it into the Daw and finish it as a proper whole track?

I’m interested in seeing how people work.

haven't done this yet but my plan is to keep one pad free and use it to resample the parts I want separate (by muting what I don't want) and basically record stems one at a time

Comment

Resampling the individual parts to create stems definitely works. You could then drag and drop those wav files into your DAW of choice.

I personally use the Akai MPC software to sample all of the musical parts I create with Blackbox. The software gives me a few more editing options that are useful ( normalize, extract, & more). Its then very easy to drag those files into Cubase and match the tempo up there. I've also recorded parts directly into the DAW, that would be another option.

Comment

Normally, I would either export stems one by one (hence why I wish it had a stem export feature), record the midi and play it with VSTs, or play the midi with external synths, recorded on the DAW.

One other workflow that brought some great surprises was actually sampling tracks as beats created with the BB, a bit like if I sampling a track from the radio, then chopping, pitching, putting FX on top and introducing it into another track. I even tried re-introducing the sampled portion to another BB project and get it to another level, then exported the stems to master and finish on the DAW.

More generally, sometimes I like a lot a very little portion of one of my track ideas, so in these cases I tend to sample it and introducing it to another project, which ends up sounding way better than the original track.

Comment

Or BB and 1010 music can give us stems options and save us time and increase our loyalty to the brand lol

Comment

Thanks everyone, nice to see different ways of working.

Currently I’m doing sequencing on the Korg ESX 2. Im using the black box to audition, loop samples ( streatch to tinme etc) and play melodies which I then resample into esx.

They work really nice together as one covers the others weaknesses. I’m hoping to export some finished tracks from the korg to Ableton projects soon

Comment

Originally posted by robertdryer View Post
              Or BB and 1010 music can give us stems options and save us time and increase our loyalty to the brand lol
              For the LOVE OF GOD! Please

Comment

You've got 3 stereo or 6 mono outputs, so you can record quite a lot at the same time if you multi-track record it through an interface. I generally use the BB as part of a larger setup. Recently I mostly simply record the main stereo output of my mixer/interface. I can multi-track record 8 mono tracks, but I'm finding that directly recording to one stereo track increases my productivity a lot. It means I have to pay attention to the mix while playing, but that's a good thing imo. In the DAW I just add a bit of compression/saturation and maybe some EQ if necessary. Sometimes I'll overdub more parts, but if possible I prefer to record everything in one go.

I haven't been using sequences much lately though.

Comment

I'd be awesome if we could have separate outputs for the headphones jack, then boom 4 stereo tracks at a time. 8 monos.

I have Logic Pro X and I can't seem to send MIDI/MTC via USB to my BB so getting the timing/sync is a sloppy process. I now resample a full element (I can't hear when resampling unfortunately though, bug?) for the whole song or parts.

Comment

Just a proper Ableton / stems export would be great.

Maybe I’m lazy but the reason I brought this unit was to get ideas flowing quick when Im on a plane or stuck in a hotel room. When I’m home I really only want to be at the pc to flesh out the track and do I final mix down quick. I don’t want to have to sit there recording single parts in and then piecing them together again, it just seems convoluted. It’s a shame as the unit is sitting with about 10 tracks ready to go and not being used

Comment

Why don't you just record what you need directly into your DAW? It seems to be the easiest solution by far.

Comment

Bruh, at least give an example though ∆

Comment

You may already know this, but if you save a pattern, Blackbox will also create an Ableton .als file for that pattern with samples and sequences loaded up in the same clip slots.

Comment

• TwistedGenetics
                            TwistedGenetics commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Avaunt

The .als it creates is a bit pointless. All it does is save the samples from the 4x4 matrix and not any rendered audio of the sequences played by the samples.

Why would I need 12 samples in a 4x4 matrix in Ableton when I already have them on the pc in the first place

I just brought an MPC Live 2 as it does everything i need but not as portable as the Blackbox. I'm thinking of ways to combine the two, may be use the Blackbox for sketches when on the train etc and then resample later on MPC?

Cheers

A stems export would be most welcomed

Comment

Twisted, I was eyeing the MPC Live 2 too, I at times make Boom Bap, and I decided to "enterprise" the Blackbox.

I want to work and craft/struggle with the Blackbox from the ground up, firmware update by firmware update.

I feel Dilla himself would take interest in this thing and roll with it. Something about this box screams "Underground! Freedom! Raw! Warm!".

Another reason this thing desperately needs to kill the grid on quantization. I feel this is the generations 3000 or better.

Comment

Working...
                            X