No announcement yet.

Finishing a song on a Daw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things are flowing in both directions these days. I’ve been working loops through Acid for years, so my latest project was collecting old loops and organizing files for the BB. Once I build something in the BB, I use it to trigger a mother 32 and a dfam (my other new pursuit) and record the lot stereo to work in the daw.

Comment

Originally posted by robertdryer View Post
      Or BB and 1010 music can give us stems options and save us time and increase our loyalty to the brand lol
      This is essential. Once I complete an arrangement I need to be able to export the midi sequence and multitrack audio into the DAW. I do not want to have to do the arrangement again.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg179 View Post
        Resampling the individual parts to create stems definitely works. You could then drag and drop those wav files into your DAW of choice.

I personally use the Akai MPC software to sample all of the musical parts I create with Blackbox. The software gives me a few more editing options that are useful ( normalize, extract, & more). Its then very easy to drag those files into Cubase and match the tempo up there. I've also recorded parts directly into the DAW, that would be another option.
        Great recommendation!
        And how do you get the multitrack midi into the DAW?

Comment

Originally posted by avaunt View Post
          You may already know this, but if you save a pattern, Blackbox will also create an Ableton .als file for that pattern with samples and sequences loaded up in the same clip slots.
          Do you think you would be able to do a video of how you implement this? I need a way to get BOTH the multitrack audio and MIDI for the entire arrangement into the DAW as easy as possible. Thanks!

Comment

The OP's question was, how to get a your sequences into a DAW to finish a track, and what different workflows people are using.

In my case, I use BB as a sequencer for external MIDI gear, each thing gets recorded separately in my DAW. If I have BB samples and/or need MIDI, here's what I do.

1) Assign your sample pads to separate analog outs on the BB (get some cables like this one to plug into your audio interface)
            https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZKM3SHK/

2) Sync MIDI, either by sending MIDI clock from your DAW to BB (set midi sync to external on BB), or from BB to DAW (set midi sync to internal on BB).

3) To record MIDI in your DAW, make sure your pads are set to send MIDI out (probably you want each pad on separate channels so you can split them apart later). Then, in your DAW, arm a MIDI track for recording.

3) Hit record in your DAW and do your stuff on BB. Trigger some sequences, play a Song, hit some pads, whatever.

When you're done, you'll have midi and separate audio tracks to work from in your DAW.
            Last edited by avaunt; 07-11-2020, 07:36 AM. Reason: Edit: you can't get sequences from .als files. Thought I remembered being able to do this, but nope.

Comment

auvaunt.... Your workflow is exactly what I imagined I would have to do. Glad that my suspicions were confirmed. I will give it a shot, and will continue to hope that the SD card will be able to save multitrack audio and midi in the future to import into the DAW. Gracias!

Comment

I think we’ve requested this feature so many times here, considering it’s not any problem for the CPU resources as the export can be done while music is paused, I’m pretty confident that it’s coming up in the priority list.

Then some automation, modulation and FX and this box becomes crazily powerful for its size !

Comment

Originally posted by jayneural View Post
                  I think we’ve requested this feature so many times here, considering it’s not any problem for the CPU resources as the export can be done while music is paused, I’m pretty confident that it’s coming up in the priority list.

Then some automation, modulation and FX and this box becomes crazily powerful for its size !
                  I hope so, As well as Copy and Paste functionality so that the same Sequence (midi pattern) can be copied and pasted into multiple Pads (instruments). At the moment Copy and Past restricts you to only the original pad that it was created on.

Im crossing my fingers 1010music!

Comment

Yep some advanced copy-pasting would help a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X