Holy moly, help this man!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy moly, help this man!

This may well be a ridiculous difficult post to answer, but I'm going to write it anyway.

I'm a guitarist (not a very good one) but was totally seduced by the BB so recently bought one. I love it, and all the possibilities it offers.

But having never used this sort of thing to make music, I don't know how best to approach it. I'm trying to avoid just recording guitar into it, and want to use it as a stand-alone piece of kit.

For example, I'm a fan of music by people like Boards of Canada, Four Tet and that kind of electronica, but also a huge fan of the drone stuff that you can hear in Labradford, Godspeed You Black Emperor and Burial. And then also the glitchy side of Radiohead/Thom Yorke. A million other things too, but that's maybe enough to give an indication of where I want to aim.

So in these times of lockdown, can anyone give any advice on a good task to start me off with? I feel a bit crippled by all the options, and also am not too interested in making a banging beat. Think I'd like to make something with trails and drones and a sense of the world collapsing. Oh wait, I've got the last one covered, so just help of the other two would be good.

Any tutorials in these shut-in times very welcome!

Thanks!

No idea if the following will sound any good or not I wrote it down as I thought it.

Maybe try recording single guitar notes that make up an interesting chord on different pads. Double them up and detune them a little (like a synth). Use the granular setting to change their texture. and pitch (slowing them down is a good start) Have the notes playing on different length loops while sending them to the delay (longish feedback) . Resample a long loop of it and you might have a nice texture in which to build on. Send the long loop out to some other effects you might have and see if that adds anything more.

I did an ambient thing on the BB a while ago (Link below). The screaming sound that comes in around the 2 minute mark is a the stock seagull sample mashed up by the granular settings. It gives you an idea of what can be done with simple sounds that aren't about making a banging beat.

https://youtu.be/qmte5gjJkgI

Hope the helps a little.

Last edited by Jack Pimiento; 03-25-2020, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Record a nice chord (I like G) on your guitar, and pop it on four pads.

Use a different way of manipulating each pad- granular for instance.

Add fx to taste per pad

Go into song mode and get the bpm low, like 60 bpm, and start to sequence your pads.

You should start to see how to make droning textures and landscapes after a while of doing that.

It'll be fun, and post your results after!

Good luck

Comment

Thanks 76Rich , I'll give it a go. Will post up my efforts! And Jack Pimiento – maybe we've chatted before on YouTube? The link you posted doesn't work for me, but I've got a feeling I already saw your stuff and loved it. Can you resend the link?

Comment

jonnnnny Thanks. Hopefully this ;ink will work. https://youtu.be/qmte5gjJkgI. Anyway if you search for Black Box ambient on You Tube it shows up. As you say, we may have talked already. Will be good to hear what you come up with.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post
            jonnnnny Thanks. Hopefully this ;ink will work. https://youtu.be/qmte5gjJkgI. Anyway if you search for Black Box ambient on You Tube it shows up. As you say, we may have talked already. Will be good to hear what you come up with.
            Ah yes, that's the one! I followed your advice last time, but my results were, let's say, quite underwhelming. Will try again!

Comment

jonnnnny Ah yes, I remember now. Keep at it!

Comment

Working...
              X