Minibrute 2 and Blackbox how do I combine the two together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minibrute 2 and Blackbox how do I combine the two together

Hi all, I appreciate that this may seem vague and long winded. Out of curiosity and lockdown boredom I ended up buying an Arturia Minibrute 2 synth and now want connect up my Blackbox to use drum samples etc, how do I go about doing this?
    I’m a complete newbie to synths and to be honest I am still getting to grips with the bb. What do I need to do to connect these two together? Do I need a separate mixer? I also play guitar and was thinking of using the reverbs and delays from my helix stomp. I’ll be using headphones beyerdynamic DT880 (250ohm) I don’t currently have any studio monitor speakers but will be adding these at some point. Any tips/help will be greatly appreciated.

Lots of ways to approach this and others may have a different approach. So hopefully something will 'click' as to how to go about achieving what you want.

You could simply send midi to the MB2 to trigger notes if the keyboard version or send clock to it if the sequencer version.
    The output of the MB2 could be sent to the inout on the BB. Turn on monitoring to hear the synth. You could then sample the synth and use the BB onboard reverb and delay.

Alternatively you can always insert the stomp effects between the MB2 and the BB. You'll need the right cables to do this. Output of the MB2 to the FX and the on to the input of the BB.

You could get a mixer and connect the outputs of the BB and MB2 to the mixer. From the mixer use a send to the stomp box. You could then send the both the BB and MB to the stomp pedal. I currently do this with a Zoom CDR70. 2 synths and the BB connected to a mixer with a send effect to the CDR70.

Or finally, use one of the separate outputs of the BB to the Stomp FX.. Stomp FX routed to the input of the BB.

I have no idea what you're trying to achieve musically so these came off the top of my head and as I say, others may have alternative approaches or ideas.

Last edited by Jack Pimiento; 04-18-2020, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Jack Pimiento Thanks for this, excellent info here and plenty of options. I’m not sure what I want to achieve myself but it also looks like it’s a case of trial and error and experimenting. Could I do most of this without the use of mixer? and just use my headphones and obviously the correct cables.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhead View Post
        Jack Pimiento Thanks for this, excellent info here and plenty of options. I’m not sure what I want to achieve myself but it also looks like it’s a case of trial and error and experimenting. Could I do most of this without the use of mixer? and just use my headphones and obviously the correct cables.
        I think you can get by without a mixer.

There maybe things I've overlooked, getting midi to the Helix might be an issue but for just sending midi notes the MB2 and getting the output into the BB shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Pimiento View Post

You could get a mixer and connect the outputs of the BB and MB2 to the mixer. From the mixer use a send to the stomp box. You could then send the both the BB and MB to the stomp pedal. I currently do this with a Zoom CDR70. 2 synths and the BB connected to a mixer with a send effect to the CDR70.

Jack Pimiento , Many thanks for your previous help! I’m back with a couple of questions re mixers. I would like to explore this route to simplify things a little but I’d also like a little bit more control on levels etc. Which portable cheap small mixer would you recommend? I’ve been looking at small mixers with a ‘send effect’ but not sure what to look out for? I’ll be using iLoud Micro Monitors and Beyerdynamic DT-880 Ed phones.

Equipment I’ll be using, Minibrute 2, Helix Stomp and just the Blackbox.

To give you a bit more of an idea I’m running the Minibrute 2 into the helix stomp for fx ie reverb, fuzzes and the looper etc and want to use the bb for drum samples. Not sure if this is the right way forward. I’m not using a computer or interface to record, I’m just using it for jamming.
          Last edited by Slowhead; 05-16-2020, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I think you can do lots of intresting things with the patchbay as well. For example you can patch your ADSR out to BB and actually sample the wave, you can then chop it up and sequence it, sending it back to the minibrute filter. I tried this with my Erebus and had lots of fun. I only scratched the surface with the modular stuff. You can also send your drums from the BB to minibrutes external in and get a grove baked into the synth sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Slowhead View Post
              Which portable cheap small mixer would you recommend? I’ve been looking at small mixers with a ‘send effect’ but not sure what to look out for?

I'm no expert who it comes to mixers. I just use a cheap Behringer Xenyx mixer. Something like this. It only has one FX send (the red pots) that I send to my Zoom pedal and return on channel 11/12. I do however run 3 synths and a drum machine into this so it might be more inputs than you need. You will at least have spare channels for the separate outputs of the BB should you want to only send some pads to the Helix. Or spare inputs for any new synths you might buy.

I bought the Behringer mainly because it was cheap. It's not going to win any awards but it's doing what I need it to do. You currently have one FX box. So if you plan to only stick with that then one FX send and a spare channel to return it on is what you're looking for. If you plan to add more FX then you need more FX sends and spare channels to return them on.

If you want faders (rather than knobs) on every channel, you're going to have to spend more.

I may have missed something and others probably have better info than me but I hope this helps in some way. As I say, I'm no expert on mixers.
              Last edited by Jack Pimiento; 05-18-2020, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Jack Pimiento That’s brilliant! thanks you for the advice... I’ll have a look at the Behringer Mixers

Comment

Originally posted by Fred_Alert View Post
                  I think you can do lots of intresting things with the patchbay as well. For example you can patch your ADSR out to BB and actually sample the wave, you can then chop it up and sequence it, sending it back to the minibrute filter. I tried this with my Erebus and had lots of fun. I only scratched the surface with the modular stuff. You can also send your drums from the BB to minibrutes external in and get a grove baked into the synth sound.
                  Fred_Alert , Thank you for your reply! Saw an excellent demo on YouTube where someone put a portable am/fm radio into the EXT IN on the patchbay but couldn’t work out the cable used... the patch cables that come with the Minibrute 2 are mono to mono, would a generic 3.5mm stereo mini-jack to jack work for this?

Comment

Cool! I think a stereo cable will work the same as a mono, you will get the audio on the left channel.

Comment

Working...
                    X