X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackbox 1.6 Feedback

There is a preview version for your play at home enjoyment here:
    https://forum.1010music.com/forum/ta...review-version

Please let us know about any problems and your suggestions below.

Thank you for your support.

1.5.4 goes through the install process fine, but then I get into a boot loop where it no longer recognizes my SD card.
    I didn't get a chance to try the 1.5.2, but saw this same issue was posted there as well. I reverted back to 1.5.1 and all is well again.

Comment

• Aaron
      Aaron commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for reporting this issue. I was afraid it might still be in the build. Is there anything unusual about your micro SD card that might help us? Have you tried a different card or no card?

• Pfister37
      Pfister37 commented
      Editing a comment
      32 GB SanDisk Extreme PLUS
      HC V30 - U3
      FAT32 format

I tried with no card and it behaved the same. I also tried backing everything up then re-formatting the card. With nothing on the card except for 1.5.4, it still looped and said Please insert microSD card. So I formatted again, then put the 1.5.1 BIN on the card with nothing else, and it loaded up with no issues. I was afraid that since it couldn't read the card that I wouldn't be able to load a different firmware, but even though it can't find the card during normal boot it finds it just fine when holding back+info. I have more cards laying around somewhere that I can wipe if that would be helpful?

running the 1.5.4 update atm and testing

- Is the Idea behind the loopcrossfade (found as loopfade) to make seamless loops ? (it worked great on sustained notes, not so great on samples with variations) or is it to superpose the sample on itself (can't tell honestly)
    - with the new shared voice sample pool I found that it increased the polyphony greatly on sample modes (playing some nine inch nails piano tunes atm with the piano multisample) am I dreaming? does this only apply to sample and multisamples?
    - how does the multisample recording works? any manual for it? as a suggestion, I could ask some system using thresholds like the single sample recording, for example: hit record, the bb waits for your input, you play the note, bb records, you press something, it stops recording and puts on hold waiting for the next note to reach the recording threshold, bam, you hit the second note and it records it and so on.

as always great work and thank you for the update
    Last edited by manonthelivingroad; 05-05-2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

• Steve
      Steve commented
      Editing a comment
      Use Loop Fade when looping in Sample Mode. If you loop the entire sample you will hear nothing, assuming the loops are properly produced. Loop Fade will be useful when you set your own LoopStart/LoopEnd points.

Multisample process works like this:
      1. connect your blackbox to your synth via MIDI.
      2. connect the audio output from your synth to your blackbox
      3. adjust the settings of the multi-sample workflow
      4. Touch Rec on the blackbox
      5. Go to the kitchen and pour yourself a coffee or other beverage

Settings:
      Filename is where you set a custom name for your multisample directory (this lets you create several multisample sets in one preset)
      Sample Every is where you set the interval between sampled pitches (I use 4 and have been pretty happy)
      Note length is how long you want the Note On to be in effect
      Release Len is how long to continue recording after the Note is no longer being triggered

*** It works well and is so much fun to use. I am preparing a video for this process and will post it to our YouTube page with the other tutorials. I will also announce that on the forum.

• manonthelivingroad
      manonthelivingroad commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the answer steve, it's alive!!!! recording some mellotron patches
      Last edited by manonthelivingroad; 05-06-2020, 03:54 PM.

Originally posted by Pfister37 View Post
    1.5.4 goes through the install process fine, but then I get into a boot loop where it no longer recognizes my SD card.
    I didn't get a chance to try the 1.5.2, but saw this same issue was posted there as well. I reverted back to 1.5.1 and all is well again.
    Same problem here. I tried again with a new empty preset as the last loaded preset with 1.5.1 to avoid possible incompatibilities, but it´s still not working. . How can it work on some BBs and not on others?

Comment

Originally posted by Morientes View Post

Same problem here. I tried again with a new empty preset as the last loaded preset with 1.5.1 to avoid possible incompatibilities, but it´s still not working. . How can it work on some BBs and not on others?
      My guess is due to the sd card, I used the one provided by 1010music, and I haven't had any issues

Comment

• Morientes
        Morientes commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you are right!!!

Same issue with boot loop ;
      Sandisk Ultra 16GB, A1 Micro SD HC I

Comment

Just tried the new 1.5.4 ...
        Again guys ... what a Joke!!!!

- ADSR is not working anymore now... in any sample mode (trigger, gate, toggle)
        - WTF is this new view in rec window? before was good, we was able to change all setup directly on the fly moving rotative encoders per part, now? A list... that we have to scroll down to select for exemple the record length and rotate... wow what an improvement for a fast live workflow lol.
        - Any improvements desired by the community? None ...

i give up...
        Last edited by Blond12; 05-06-2020, 12:24 AM.

Comment

• manonthelivingroad
          manonthelivingroad commented
          Editing a comment
          - this is clearly a beta version for the new firmware, just leave your feedback as everyone does

- as many has told you, you bought this product based on it's specs and capabilities at the moment of your puchase, not on it's updates or your requests. Besides it seems you invested 600 without seeing reviews (youtube has plenty) or manuals. Don't atribute the company or the rest of the users your lack of responsibility

- read my first point again, and mind that the developers doesn't work for your contempt only

- You are part of the community, but not a representation of it, Your interest doesn't represent the interests of the whole community

quoting you and exchanging one word: "If you dont accept the reality and feedback about your music and behaviour sorry but why are you doing music?"

• Aaron
          Aaron commented
          Editing a comment
          Dear Blond12:

I accept reality: It is not possible to make everyone happy—especially with something as personal as musical instrument. The professional thing to do is recognize when a relationship is not working out and to gracefully part ways. I believe we have reached that point. If you bought this unit directly from us, I would gladly accept your return and refund your money. If that is not the case, let us help you make alternative arrangements. Please use the Contact Us form on our website to establish a private conversation.

Thank you very much.

• adzghost
          adzghost commented
          Editing a comment
          The new multisampling mode is awesome and the new screen is necessary for this workflow, I strongly disagree with this poster. I apologize on this poster's behalf for the negativity, thanks 1010, you guys are amazing.

It´s the SD-Card. I tried it with the original SD-Card and it worked!!! I had never have any issues with my SD-Card before (ScanDisk Extreme 128GB).

Comment

• Morientes
          Morientes commented
          Editing a comment
          Its exFAT formatted. Maybe it only works on FAT32 which is limited to 32GB?

Edit: After booting with the original card, I Could change the card and load presets from the SanDisk. No time to test the new functions.
          Last edited by Morientes; 05-06-2020, 02:48 AM.

Im holding off until theres a video which describes everything

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          check out my comment above!

Firmware version 1.6? But the download files and OS reads at 1.5.4 ...?

Comment

• Aaron
          Aaron commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, that's right. We'll change to 1.6 before we finalize it.

Happy to report that it does seem to be working here(though reading as 1.5.4), and the poly playback seems to be working as desired. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by GLMystery View Post
          Happy to report that it does seem to be working here(though reading as 1.5.4), and the poly playback seems to be working as desired. Thank you.
          Am experiencing some oddness with ADSR(and possibly velocity). I am getting the occasional hanging note, regardless of decay/sustain and the occasional HARD/fast attack when using a slow attack. Doesn't happen everytime and can't see a pattern that might explain it, but will keep an eye on it. Might be velocity related on that one. Am just using the sample pack demo and a key step.

Polyphonic playback, as I said, seems to be working great now. No choking, no clicking, no popping.

Thank you.

Comment

After the unsucessful update (stuck in a loop at boot) I let the blackbox on (with the "insert SD cart" message and meanwhile, I was trying to save the data on my SD cart and format it....

I went back to my Blackbox 1 hour later, and she was runusually hot, 2 times as usual ... Do you know why it happened ... do you think it couldn't have damaged my blackbox ? (whining)

Comment

1.5.4 and 1.5.1 don't communicate midi from my controllers/sequencer to my BB, be it by TRS or USB. Can't trigger pads or keys in BB from external gear.

1.4.3 works fine.

When I use Squarp Pyramid I can monitor incoming and outgoing midi signals and there is a difference between 1.5.x and 1.4.3:

In 1.5.x when I press keys on the BB it triggers the external gear, instead of having the external gear control it. I can actually see it control the Pyramid (incoming midi icon flashes as well as outgoing midi icon) and, by proxy, other gear that the Pyramid is controlling (outgoing midi icon also flashes, again on the Pyramid). This is the opposite of what I want. Notes on the Pyramid do not play in BB. Also tried Beatstep and Keystep directly into BB -- doesn't work.

In the Pyramid's "Pyramidi" settings menu, only selecting channel 1 blocks BB from controlling the Pyramid and my Uno Synth (although monitor on the Pyramid indicates that it is receiving midi signal from BB). Channels 2-16 + 'OFF' allow the BB to control Pyramid and the Uno by proxy (which I don't want to do).
              Additionally, any channel selected in "Pyramidi" blocks midi from the same channel on the Arturia Keystep -- example: if I choose channel 2 on "Pyramidi", and assign Keystep to channel 2 (shift+first black key) the Keystep doesn't trigger the Uno. (Keystep->Pyramid->BB)

This doesn't happen in 1.4.3 -- everything works.

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi Francisco - remind me, did the MIDI loopback test run successfully?

• ChicoC
                ChicoC commented
                Editing a comment
                Hello. Yes, as far as I could tell. Midi TRS out connected to TRS in, with controller sending midi to USB device port. It registered some midi messages on the screen, on the left hand side.

Hi

I updated from 1.4.3 to 1.5.4 and the installing was really smooth using the original sd card.
              For me the new features are amazing! Was mainly checking out the auto multisampling feature and I think its killer!! I have not seen this feature in other products for now and it kind of blew my mind as I didn't even know that this was possible I used to own a Korg Microsampler and an Organelle trying to play richer sounds live which my synths couldnt produce. This new feature means I can go to any Synthesizers or "Keyboards" of my friends and just record multisamples with several velocity layers or record my DAW plugins to take on the road! I tested it on my Yamaha QY70 which became my little best friend of the BB and it worked like a charm.
              Big thanks for that!!

I was also able to play more than 3 notes polyphonically (live) using that newly created multisample than I was able to with version 1.4.3.
              In 1.4.3 it would create clicks and pops when I played more than 3 notes at time on on a Pad with a multisample loaded.

Haven't checked the other features as I quickly ran into some little issues which made me go back to 1.4.3.

Issue 1 (Main Issue):
              I got lots of clicks and pops with some presets that play totally smooth with 1.4.3.
              One preset for example has 11 Sequences playing but all the pads (except one) are set to sample mode in mono and none of them on HighQ. It was mostly Bass drums, Snare, HiHat, Bass synth and some more synths playing. No long samples or anything. The polyphonic pad wasn't on highQ either and just played 3 notes polyphonically.
              This made the presets unusable and I had to go back to 1.4.3 which still plays them with no problem.

Issue 2:
              When I load a preset my pads would play with no filter engaged. Even when it was showing -70% the filter was completely open. once i moved the encoder and changed the value of the filter it jumped worked fine. this happened only whenever i loaded a preset.

Issue 3:
              When a preset was playing and i change preset without hitting stop it would make crazy broken sounds
              this didn't happen with 1.4.3 (wasnt smooth there either though)

One more thing:
              It seemed to automatically pack all my presets that I opened into the new folder structure so when I went back to 1.4.3 I was not able to play any of them. Luckily I backed it up and just replaced the whole sd card with the backed up content and now everything is fine Just as a reminder for anyone trying it out coming from 1.4.3. or below...

I can't wait for the final version of 1.6. and reeeeally hope it works smooth with all my existing presets as I put lots of work into them!

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                Issue 1: Can you tell me which preset? Or maybe send to me?
                Issue 2: More details, please. Was this one preset or all presets?
                Issue 3: More details, please.

Double-check your file structure. The new File management features do not automatically pack presets. Instead, the first time you open a preset in the new system, the blackbox will move that preset into a folder - inside the /presets directory. /Presets/MyPreset (where MyPreset is the preset name).

Generally speaking, the more details you can provide - the better. I need to see the problem to fix it.

Thanks for the report.

• denizgarout
                denizgarout commented
                Editing a comment
                thanks for the reply. I can send you the preset and the samples. The Issue 2 appeared with all the 3 presets I checked but they all had this same sample in common. It's a sample of an analogue saw wave and was filtered down 70% so it was very audible that the filter didn't work. But I didnt check any other pads or presets and once I went to the according pad with the sample and moved the filter encoder it worked again. Issue 3 was just a very loud sound as I changed presets. Sorry I don't have more details as I went back to 1.4.3 pretty quickly and just though I'll wait a bit until more bugs get fixed.
            Working...
            X