Blackbox 1.6 Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aakash View Post

Yes. I had this issue as well a few days ago. It resolved itself but I'm certain it will come back.

What I can tell is that it happens only if the blackbox in connected to a midi device (not in standalone).
    I do not have any external modulation set for the filter. Only On/Off notes.I tested with a daw and a keyboard, same result.
    It seems to be an almost completely random bug because sometimes it happens after a few seconds and sometimes it happens 20 minutes later.

Comment

• Originally posted by Asmorod View Post
      What I can tell is that it happens only if the blackbox in connected to a midi device (not in standalone).
      via TRS or USB? Which controller are you using?

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

via TRS or USB? Which controller are you using?
        TRS / I don't use midi controller.
        When I noticed the problem it was connected via TRS to a RME FF802 Midi OUT and sequenced with Ableton Live (without any midi / filter CC activated on this channel).

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I will look at this.

• It’s not the midi controller. I have the same issue again right now and have nothing connected. Just playing a multisample on the screen keyboard and the filter (set to around 50%) is (seemingly) randomly on and off.

I did some testing and it seems to be the length of the sample. I made a short multisample (note 1sec, release 1sec) and it doesn’t have this problem. My original multisample had a note release of 5sec.

Even funnier:
        - I’m playing a simple sequence of 1/2 notes
        - On the ADSR screen I start adjusting the sample’s release time
        - With long release the filter goes on and off
        - Then when I turn the release to really short the filter stays on or off, whatever played last. Then when I turn up the release again, the filter problem returns.

There’s also correlation between release length and song tempo. The slower the tempo, the longer the release can be before the filter goes nuts again.

Comment

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          which firmware version?

• Issue with 1.5.J: RectoPlay occasionally not working

If I set RectoPlay to "On" and my rec type to "Clip" (let's say 4 bars with RecQuant at 1bar), sometimes it the recorded "Clip" will not play without me manually triggering it post recording.

Sometimes, randomly, even if I set the pad to "clip" prior to recording, it will end up in Sample mode. Sometimes it'll end up in Clip mode and won't rectoplay like mentioned above.
        Last edited by aakash; 06-25-2020, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Steve I’m on 1.5.J using a Sandisk A2 128GB.

If you need more details or tests, I’d be glad to help.

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            either all of your specific settings - or send me a preset (packed). I am looking at this now and still cannot see it on my end. [email protected]

• You’ve got mail!

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            I got it - and am looking...but it is not happening for me. I believe you... I will keep trying.

• Haha I just tried myself again and everything seemed fine. Had me scratching my head for a second.

But I think I figured it out. Seems like a memory thing, try this:
          - start the BB
          - load my preset
          - load a factory preset and play some clips/samples
          - load my preset again and try the keys again

After loading one or two factory presets in between, I get the same filter problem again. Seems like something’s slowly filling up memory and not flushing.

Hope you’ll finally be able to reproduce this. If not, I’ll make you a quick video if you’d like.

Comment

• I tried the newest version 1.5.J today. I found that during auto sampling the audio out 1 produces a popping/clicking sound at the beginning and ending of every recording. With normal threshold recordings i don't have this issue. In my setup audio out 1 goes into my mixer and the master from the mixer goes into the audio in of the blackbox. Now i have to tune down the blackbox track in the mixer every time i do a auto sampling otherwise the recordings are unusable.

Other than that no issues so far. Keep up the great work!

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Multisampling can be initiated via MIDI or CV+Gate. What you are hearing from OUT1 is CV+Gate.

• tschaul
              tschaul commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the info Steve. If i would sample modular gear i would probably like to use OUT3. It would be nice if this was selectable with one select box for where the note is sent: MIDI CH1, MIDI CH2, ..., MIDI CH16, CV OUT1, CV OUT2, CV OUT 3.

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely add this to the wish list!

• Is the 1.6 beta preview currently suspended from any additional testers to download? There is no link anymore.

Comment

• Steve
              Steve commented
              Editing a comment
              Scroll down and find 1.5.J. That is our 1.6 in beta. We will update the version number as soon as it comes out of beta.

• In 1.5.J I regularly seam to hit something which seams to be a limit of loaded samples per PRESET (not per pad). Is there something like this? When this happens i can no longer use the "load all" function in a folder. It would be nice to get an error notification if that happens with some kind of explanation. When i create a new preset it works fine again. When i switch back to the preset with the error i does again not work.
            Last edited by tschaul; 06-30-2020, 01:28 AM.

Comment

• I have question regarding the format of the files produced by auto sampling: How is the pitch and velocity information stored in the files? Will there be a spec/documentation with the final version?

Context of my question: When using multiple velocity layers during autosampling there is no option to level match the recordings, which can produce unsmooth/steppy loundess responses depending on the samples instrument. I tried to work around it by level matching all files in a folder using levelator [1] and renamed to files their original name schema. After that the BB loaded in the samples chromatically and not at their corresponding pitch and velocity positions. Clearly the pitch and velocity information is therefore not only stored in the name of file.

PS: I think i found the spec [2].

[1]: http://www.conversationsnetwork.org/levelator
              [2]: https://sites.google.com/site/musicg...le-format#inst
              Last edited by tschaul; 06-30-2020, 02:03 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                Steve commented
                Editing a comment
                That info is stored as WAV tags in the file container.

• Originally posted by tschaul View Post
              In 1.5.J I regularly seam to hit something which seams to be a limit of loaded samples per PRESET (not per pad). Is there something like this? When this happens i can no longer use the "load all" function in a folder. It would be nice to get an error notification if that happens with some kind of explanation. When i create a new preset it works fine again. When i switch back to the preset with the error i does again not work.
              Yes, there’s a limit per pad and a limit per preset. Check the manual for the exact numbers.

Comment

• Georges
                Georges commented
                Editing a comment
                I agree with the OP that a notification or warning prior to loading would be helpful.

• I don’t necessarily disagree.

That said, I think reading the manual and using common sense goes a long way. The manual as well as the error are a notification and a warning.

Comment

• 64 per pad - 80 per preset. Keep in mind, the blackbox will allow you to create multisample sets that contain more samples than can be loaded in the current preset. The pitch and velocity info is stored as a WAV tag in the file.

I hear you that you would like a warning when it happens and to know how many samples were successfully loaded (or not loaded?). Please add this request to the wish list thread.

Comment

Working...
                X