No announcement yet.

Blackbox 1.6 Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We were begging for new firmware 15 days ago, we weren't disappointed ! We had 7 releases since !

This first Blackbox release anniversary will be a memorable one. I can guess it's been tough for Aaron and the teams though.

Comment

Tested 1.5.F :

- It did make what looked like a double-reboot just after the upgrade finished but then stabilised and now boots normally when turning on

- It looks like ADSR is broken again though. I just tested on the xPiano multisample to remove a bit of attack and it doesn't seem to work at all. It was still working on 1.5.E I believe

- KEYS mode keybed still appears to behave as if the 4 note polyphony per pad limit was still there

- Not tested or encountered yet the other reported issues such record/quantize bug

Sdcard : Sandisk Ultra 400GB rated Class 10 / U1 / A1.

Comment

• Aaron
        Aaron commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the report. Please note that the touch screen KEYS is only good for about 4 touches. You need to use MIDI or the sequencer to fully explore the polyphony.

Regarding the ASDR, I do not understand what is happening. We believe that is working.

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, definitely not a big deal for the on-screen keyboard, I probably will never enter more than 4 notes at the same time on a touch screen I reported it because it made me doubt on the actual polyphony. Tried through MIDI and I'm reassured though, I could at least distinguish a 5th note on my test.

As for the ADSR, I retested and it actually seems to work. But I was confused because, quite strangely, it looks like I had to push attack to 20% at least to not hear the sample clicking at the beginning of the note, Vs just 8% was enough on the previous version. Let me revert to previous version and test this again to be sure. I don't want to have you spending time of this if it does work as before.

I used the exact same preset with the same multi-sample which is the xPiano you provide as stock library with the SimpleSounds pack since v1.3.

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        I reverted to v1.5E then 1.5D and it's actually the same amount of Attack needed for the same result. I don't know, I might have dreamed

Sorry for the waste of time on this. You can consider ADSR does work on 1.5F.

I also checked the rec/quantize as there were problems reported in this thread. On my side it seems to work. I tested with a simple Kick+multisample pattern while changing the quantize resolution, sounded OK to me.

Looks like path is clearing for a v1.6 release

Great update! Had a boot loop when updating to 1.5.E, but powering on and off fixed that.

Blackbox crashed once when I tried to slice one part of the multisample I just recorded.

And more of a request: could this method also be used for making sample chains? Would be great to 'multisample' drum hits to 1 wav, so you can slice them aftwerwards.
      For now I multisampled a 64 part drum rack from Ableton to BB. Went really well, except that the octaves of the Blacbox didn't match the octaves of Live (Live C1 = Blackbox C2). Is that a bug, or just a matter of settings?

Oh, and a dedicated multisample folder in the root folder would be nice! Now it's stored in the preset you were using when recording the multisample.

But again, lot's of respect for all the dedication and hard work on this already brilliant device!
      Last edited by Hooger; 05-08-2020, 11:58 AM.

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        Hooger> Did you try 1.5.F ? Looks like they have fixed crashing issue when on the waveform on it.

• Hooger
        Hooger commented
        Editing a comment
        Gonna try asap tomorrow, thx!

• Hooger
        Hooger commented
        Editing a comment
        That did the trick!

Triple booting at first time after installing 1.5F. Next time no problem. Seems to be fixed.

When I recorded a sequence, the "lead in" lasted 6 measures. Is there a way to adjust the length of the lead in? Did not find it.

Comment

• jayneural
        jayneural commented
        Editing a comment
        BTW it's very cool to have that adjustable lead-in. Once again you guys listen. I wonder if it's easy to have it clicking like a metronome

• Morientes
        Morientes commented
        Editing a comment
        @Steve: Not that I mind at all, but are you making fun of me? How would I do that?

By the way, thank you very much for all the work on our little wonder box!!!

• Morientes
        Morientes commented
        Editing a comment
        It is back on 1measure now. How did I Do that? Just turned Lead in off and on?

MIDI In / MIDI Learn with my MidiMix für Filter, Level etc. does work again on 1.5.F. As it is not mentioned in the changelog, I wanted to add this feedback here!

Using a SAMSUNG 32GB EVO Plus Card, I had no issues with updating and multiple reboot. Installed Firmware, one reboot, everything working fine (But the Record Screen UI ;-))

MIDI Channel for Multisampling is still #1 and there is still a really nasty sound coming out of the BB when triggering the note!

Comment

Any one know what the 68gb refers to on the tools page?

I'm using the new firmware, but I have a 128gb card installed.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Morientes
          Morientes commented
          Editing a comment
          I think it is the free space on your card.

• Steve
          Steve commented
          Editing a comment
          It is, indeed, the approximate amount of free space on your microSD card.

Hi

how does the multisample on resample work? I’m not getting it?

cheers

Comment

• jkirchheimer
          jkirchheimer commented
          Editing a comment
          What part is not working? You need to connect the midi out of the bb to the midi in of you Synth and set the synth to midi channel 1 (I really hope that they add a setting in the bb multisample menu to change that!). Connect the audio out of the synth with the audio in of your Blackbox. Setup all the settings (how long each note plays, how long the release is, what notes and what range to play, how many velocity ranges). You can also change the Filename (by pressing the info button when on the filename row, need a while to realize that). Then click on record and wait until it is done.

Hi Jkirchheiner

I get the multisampling side with external synths etc, I don’t get the multisample by resampling the blackbox?

Comment

1.5F seems to work just fine with my 512GB card... will test more later. Thanks Aaron & team!

Comment

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            what are your card specs?

Hi, I had plenty of crashes with the 1.5.D, and now it seems fixed with the 1.5.F

Running both in F and D, I had the same problem with testing the multisample mode.
          I've recorded a preset I've created on my Emu Sampler.

Hi, I've tested to create my multisample as you suggest ... :

1.5.D only :

- The Multisample assistant works rather well, but I've noticed that when there's a lot of sample (above 64) some recorded samples are missing in the multisample, (in my case, the second and third sample recorded via the multisample asisstant is missing ).

1.5.F and 1.5.D as well

1 - 64 samples limit is not per pad but per Preset ! I've created another multisample after doing a big one with more than 60 samples, for a bunch of 20 new samples on the new mutlisamples : it starts sampling : the 2 or 3 first notes are okay, an then the long notes are going machingun like up to the highest note I've set and finish in a hurry. Hence the sampling time i dialed (5 seconds) is ignored and turns to miliseconds. In addition to that the result of the new multisample is silent. I think it's a bug ... overload bug ??? maybe fixed in the next beta version

2 - First sample is annoyingly replacing each empty note of the multisample :
          To make room for memory, I put my sd card inside my PC, open the folder that multisample and remove the useless samples/notes (I mean, the samples that are just the same sample, but pitched up semitone after semiton). This way, it makes some room for the memory, as the sampler can pitch this sample up itself until the next sample.
          hen I want some samples to spread to their first position on the keyboard to the next sample note, instead of spreading this sample on the next notes, I have the lowest and first sample used replacing / filling the blanks instead of having the chosen sample pitched from it's root note to an upper one.

For example, let's say I have a kick in C2, then some mute samples or whatever . Then I need a melodic sample starting at C3 (original root note) to C4 (another melodic sample for example), my sample (starting at C3) is only playing on one single note (C2) and then on C#2 the first kick sample comes back (the is one C1) and I don't know why ... it's illogic. Made the same test with differents samples I've done on my computer and another multisample test : same problem.
          Its like the blackbox only supports "note but note" mapping on the keyboard. The strange thing is, the lowest note and first sample and the last and highest one are automatically pitched respectively down and up their root note.... (and also on the unwanted emply notes in the middle, for the first sample)

It's hard to expain, I hope you'll understand, otherwise I will make a video about that problem soon

3 - I have clicks at the end of each sample, even after seconds of silence

4 - Projects load with Filter settings okay but the filter is inactive and needs to be touched to be effective again.

5 - Still some crakling / pops / overload issues, exactly like on the 1.5.1 version, with a project without FX and 13 pads with 3 granulars

The new multisample mode is extremely useful ... I can sample all my EMU presets in few minutes or hours instead of ... maybe ... days !
          But some things could be improved :
          - would be nice to have a auto trim option to clear the silence at the end of the samples to avoid hiss, noise, long samples that could be shorter. I know we can edit them manually, but it would be boring

Thanks again for your work !
          Last edited by menuetbabel; 05-10-2020, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• menuetbabel
            menuetbabel commented
            Editing a comment
            I add this precision :
            For the 2nd point, I figured out that when I open the "amputated" multisampleI made on the 1.5.F version (with all the "useless" samples removed so that the adjcent sample pitches itself on the next notes) and open it in the 1.5.1 versions, the empty notes do fill correctly with the adjacent sample and not the 1st sample of the list only ! So that's maybe just a bug in the 1.5.D or F versions

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            #1 I am looking at this right now.
            #2 Did all of these samples come from the new multisample workflow? Are you 100% positive that every sample had a root note set? If you load a folder of wav files where all but (even) one has a root note, you will get weird behaviors similar to what you describe. So... are you positive that the Kick sample had a root note?
            #3 I will check this today
            #4 I am not seeing this but I am on 1.5.J and we did touch the filter in previous versions
            #5 check your card specs as this will have a huge effect on streaming (for obvious reasons). Also, try using the Compressor. I get a similar result when pumping out a lot of sound from my blackbox. And while I generally do not use it - I definitely use it in these types of circumstances.

• menuetbabel
            menuetbabel commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Steve J Thanks so much for your answers !
            #2 : Yes they all come from the new multisample workflow. What is REALLY weird is that the same multisample folder load correctly like I want on the 1.5.1 version, and not on the recents betas versions.
            - I will double check but I remember having opened all single sample from the folder one by one to check their root note and they were assigned, But I will double check

I can send you my multisample by mail !

#5 how to check card specs ? mine is a Sandisk Ultra 16GB, A1 Micro SD HC I

I also had a boot loop with the 5.F version. I used to work and then I had a boot loop the other day, removed the card 1 time : same. 2nd time : no problem. strange.

• I cannot get sound during recording to work. As soon as I press record (multi and normal sample) audio is gone
          • i cannot reload the current project. I have one empty project I load to reset everything. When I play around but want to reset, I just load that patch again. That does not work in 1.5.e anymore, as I cannot reload the currently loaded project

Comment

• menuetbabel
            menuetbabel commented
            Editing a comment
            Would be nice to have a "recall" button which initialise the project at his initial state with no big sound interruption ... could be nice in live situations when you tweak tons of parameters and want to get back at the "normal" state

• Steve
            Steve commented
            Editing a comment
            The option to Load the currently loaded preset was removed. This is a visual indicator, in the preset list, to show you which preset is currently loaded. Also, if you have not made any changes to a preset, Save will not be available.

• jkirchheimer
            jkirchheimer commented
            Editing a comment
            Can we get that back please, as loading a changed preset also does not work? Maybe with an option, because it is not better now

Question about the new multisample recording feature :

Is the format, file nomenclature and meta-data of the multi-samples supposed to be cross compatible with MPC multi-samples ? If yes, does it mean we can also use multi-velocity multisamples recorded with the MPC on the Blackbox ?

Comment

Update on the quantization issues, I tried with a new SD Card, 8gb formated in fat32, it seems to work now, just the rectoplay feature seems to be bugged, but I'm aware that the team is looking for a fix, thanks guys!

Also, if you find issues that other people seems to not having them, the highest probability seems to be your SD card

Comment

I'm still having random crashes, seemingly out of nowhere. Also, powering on the device, even after its installed and started working fine, I get the boot loop again.

For now I'm rolling back to 1.5.1

Comment

First of all thank you for the hard work 1010!
                I have the lead in constantly changing length. anywhere from 16 bars to 8 bars, it changes when I turn lead in off and back on again. All of them unfortunately unusable. Also the encoders seem far less responsive now. Version 1.5.F

Comment

Working...
                X